Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

To be honest he comes across poorly for this one.

It’s getting a bit like Kevin Keegan “and... and... I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we beat them, love it!" 

He must be a bit shook after Mania weekend. Clearly he didn’t watch Raw tho. Nothing to worry about Tony they’re not pushing on from Mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I'd say WWE do at least encourage certain staff to spend time stirring things up but it's not a great look to be complaining about it really. Take the satisfaction of knowing that they wouldn't be bothered doing it if they weren't concerned about what you were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Beep boop Hook is shít and looks like a 14 year old beep boop.

But seriously, he's "clarified" his comments.

Earlier today, AEW owner and CEO Tony Khan caused a stir on social media when he released a series of tweets suggesting that an independent study had shown that most of the staunch anti-AEW community online was not real.

Instead, he asserted that it was a small staff running thousands of accounts, with the help of several bot accounts.

“An independent study has confirmed that much of the staunch anti-AEW online community aren’t real individuals, it’s a staff running thousands of accounts + an army of bots to signal boost them,” Khan tweeted. “Look closely, these aren’t real people. Who’d pay for such a *wildly* expensive thing?”

Shortly after running a story on his tweets, Wrestling Inc. reached out to Tony Khan for clarification on his tweet. Khan responded by giving examples to illustrate what he says his expert confirmed during their investigation.

“Waiting for final study but here’s what my expert confirmed,” Khan responded. “It’s people with real live accounts making posts and then using their bots to manipulate the social channel algorithm by backing them up with engagement from a made-up Twitter identity. Social media teams will often fight on this. Bots are great for numbers and when they’re gone, you’ll see a dip in digital conversation impressions – both those were either negative sentiment or not real anyway.

“For example, I tweet Megha only eats rotten bananas. I throw say 18 bots behind it (which takes about 5 minutes to do) Twitter security can’t differentiate when done well (neither can most social teams). The problem becomes, every time people type Megha into the search bar, because of a real account supported by bots- the first suggested result would be tweets about Megha eating rotten bananas. I’m oversimplifying, but that’s the 5 cent version of what’s happening.”

On the coke early today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Tony's hilarious, I lost any respect for him when he said WWE would counter program him if he ran WrestleMania weekend, lad is clearly on the spectrum and needs to pay someone a lot of money to run his social media.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I honestly find him hilarious.

I also could quite easily believe people get paid to push agendas. Not just in wrestling, but football, movies, etc.

put it to you this way, some of these companies are making hundreds of millions a year. Is it really hard to believe they’d pay a few people, say, 15k a year to push agendas? Talk up how amazing a movie is, talk about how great a football team is doing? Stoke fires in a pro wrestling war?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,281 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Only catching up with Dynamite. Great show overall. Main event and opener were excellent and the crowd was hot most of the night.

Really hope Joe can have a healthy run.

Tables match was a mess. I haven't watched WWE consistently in a few years. Did Jeff look in this much pain during his last WWE run? Looks like everything is a struggle for him since joining.

Tay Conti was doing so well as a babyface (got a good pop most weeks) and was improving all the time. Absolutely ruined her momentum being put with Sammy on screen.

Jade Cargill does come across as such a star. Hopefully her in ring will eventually get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I love AEW but Tony seriously needs to stop tweeting shite like that , it just comes across so badly in my opinion and totally doesn't need to do stuff like that product speaks for him

Coming off a great dynamite aswell where the only real lowpoint was that awful Hardy's match

• Registered Users Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, for sure... it's something that's super widely used across a whole host of industries now. Sure I even know individual actors who do it to boost their social media impressions, as that's something casting agents look at, looking for someone who'll bring a lot of eyes to their film/show/commercial just by the persons presence. A worse actor might well get a gig purely because they bring more (theoretical) eyeballs, which is of course what the whole 'influencer' culture is based upon. Much of it isn't real, and isn't sustainable when it comes to an individuals perception, but in the short term especially this stuff really boosts a narrative (even moreso when its just based around boosting an idea rather than a person).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well we know that. It's WWE's "boo" button. 😃

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, not sure about a WWE Talent talking about the legitimacy of the audio on their shows :D

People do pay for the sorts of boosting TK is describing - I've spent many hours trying to undo the impact of these sorts of things on things like online polls (I work in software support). It's very accessible and very widespread across a huge number of industries and depending on the level of "complexity" as well as volumes you want, it can be anything from a couple of hundred quid to tens of thousands. Honestly, the way these sorts of manipulations have become so commonplace is kinda scary :) As an aside, never, ever trust anything you read on the internet :D

Just watching Rampage. It's actually an achievement to make me dislike a woman who is as good looking as Tay Conti but putting her with Sammy, and doing nothing with her at the same time, has worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

WOW Mox vs. Yuta WOW!!!

That just made Yuta!

Great Rampage - all good aside from the Sammy Tay segment really.

Great final match especially - though I was a bit uncomfortable with just how much Yuta was bleeding so early, wonder was it a bigger wound than they intended? I'm just personally never a fan of that much blood, feels unnecessary to me. (though I guess in this instance it's to really show the extent of his 'trial', but for me that reads a lot better if it happens later in the match rather than right away).

I like Willow, think she should've progressed over Red Velvet, who is just gonna go straight out in her next match anyway. Willow looks like she has more to offer the division... some of the raw power of people like Nyla or Doudrop, but with a lot more mobility, a really good mix.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Writing BCC on his own chest with his own blood was absolutely bad ass. Yuta is a star.

there’s going to be a point he finally gets the win vs Mox too and it’s going to be awesome.

Mox/Yuta was just class. Great way to have Yuta pass his audition. Looking forward to seeing how the group develops now. Will they add anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Khan saying what anyone with a brain knows. If you know how the Twitter algorithm works then this isn't a surprise but if you wonder why you see very specific anti AEW content so often this is it.

Mox and yuta was nearly as long as all the wrestling combined on a two hour smackdown and better than any wrestling match on a wwe tv show in forever

• Advertisement

You see anti-AEW content because the professional wrestling viewership is miniscule to what it once was. There are far more former wrestling fans than current wrestling fans and these fans are insulted by what AEW offer.

Wrestling fans want to watch wrestling and AEW do not provide such despite insisting it'd be a 'sports-based presentation'.

AEW is more sports-entertainment than WWE is.

CM Punk and Dax had an actual wrestling match and it went down well with the locals and the former viewers that actually saw it. Similarly, FTR had a great match with The Briscoes. Meanwhile, on AEW they're involved in mindless backstage segments.

It's no coincidence that the best received segments on AEW are when Punk, Bryan, MJF are involved. Serious wrestlers.

On the plus side, watching Khan on Twitter is akin to the glory days of Trump. Out and out delusion.

I just went weak at the knees

Suzuki vs. Joe announced for next weeks Dynamite for the ROH TV title.

Because AEW doesn't sweeten audio at all...

Oh shít, I just realised they're probably bots too.

Edit: Oh shít, am I a bot?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well can you tick this box? 🤔

I'd be surprised if Willow isn't signed soon. Velvet heel turn or just reacting to the live crowd?

But great main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

yuta is an absolute star

Joe and suzuki im already sore just thinking of these two chopping the living crap out of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Oh fun. Do expand on that AEW is more sports entertainment than WWE point because I'm curious about that one. Let me help, do a quick breakdown of ring time from the last 2 ppvs of the respective companies. Better yet, consider how much of the ring time of the WWE ppv Wrestlemania consisted of noted pro wrestlers Johnny Knoxville and Logan Paul.

Tony Kahn talking about being in talks with Warners about having a weekly ROH show somewhere on one of there channels and they are open to it.

Ye don't have an original thought in your heads. Ring time, this is latest line by the Patreon pimpers Sapp, Meltzer etc. You squawk like parrots whatever they talk about.

AEW are sports entertainment as fúck and there is nothing wrong with it.

Jade Cargill and her "baddie section". Sports Entertainment.

Julia Hart, her eye and the spooky boys with shít tattoos. Sport Entertainment.

Cumming on titles. Sport Entertainment (Unfortunately).

A recent feud for the women's title between Britt and Tay Conti centred around who has the better arse. Sports Entertainment (And obviously Tay).

A Mowgli cosplayer and a Dinosaur are the tag team champs. Sports Entertainment.

MJF would be the embodiment of sports entertainment if Miz already wasn't and is the better for it.

Rapping every week (and it's brilliant). Sports Entertainment.

Sk8r Boi Darby Allin. Sports Entertainment.

Have to laugh at the people desperately portraying AEW as this "We are wrestling in its purest essence" nonsense when it's just wrestling like WWE and can be as stupid and wacky as wrestling gets.

You need a wide range of entertainers (what a dirty word) to appeal to people and surprise surprise, pure wrestling guys like FTR are just a small slice of that cake. Thank fúck.

"But no, look at my stopwatch. We had this much wrestling!" Good grief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,281 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Amazing how WWE turned down Yuta

The guy is one of the best up and coming wrestlers in the world at the moment, they guy is such a fabulous wrestler. It was a slow burn for Yuta at AEW but they were waiting for that right program to come along which is Blackpool Combat Club and Yuda just becomes a star and the fans are shouting his name to the roof

That main event just gave me goosebumps.

AEW are really set for years with talent such as Yuta, Garcia, Dante, Moriarty.

Advertisement