Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You're definitely a bot :P Didn't know AEW was pulling that sorta sh1t too, shameful stuff. This Sammy & Tay stuff is the worst thing AEW are doing. It's killed Tay's momentum and it's leaving people sick of Sammy who is supposed to be a face. It feels like they're a little bit too committed to it now to be able to salvage it.

However, back to the other thing - I think TK needs to have his Twitter account taken off him so he can concentrate on what he does best and he can stop walking his company into PR messes. People do buy and exploit social media bots all the time though - from small scale "influencers" who want to win a local competition to large corporate marketing teams who are desperate to make it look like they're doing their jobs and that "engagement" is increasing - people think nothing of signing off on quick payment to take care of it. I work in this field, I have no reason to make this stuff up and a billionaire like TK doesn't need me defending him :) However, he's ruined any potential impact this might have had, you make the most of this "independent report" by not making noise about it and instead make sure all the major news outlets get it and run the story for you - now the story is "Tony Kahn goes mad on Twitter again."

All of that nonsense aside, what a show we had last night. BCC is making a big impact - the Danielson/Trent match was a good opener and Mox/Yuta was phenomenal, but I agree with the above comment that the sheer volume of blood was a little off-putting for me personally, but it's a minor criticism. I also just love hearing William Regal on commentary, there's a sincerity to it that always makes it "real" and he puts everyone over without it sounding contrived. He was on the AEW Podcast this week, it's a good listen.

I think Willow might've been a better choice than Velvet for that Owen Hart qualifier match - no shade on Velvet, I think she's good and getting better, but I think Willow's just a level ahead - there were a couple of clunky moments in their match and that seems to just follow Velvet around a bit much. But Velvet's their own home-grown talent, so I don't think that result was ever going to be in question. The women's division is slowly showing signs of improvement.

Swerve and QT were grand and we've got the tag match for next week against Starks and Hobbs which could be fun. Nothing more to say about that really. It's been a good week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Seriously? This dude lecturing me about pro wrestling? I watched more pro wrestling last weekend than you will in months.

And from your comment I think you sorely misunderstand what constitutes pro wrestling and what sports entertainment is so please don't try to tell me what is or isn't pro wrestling.

What makes the Jade Cargill push and baddies section sports entertainment? It's an old school monster push out the gate with an old school undefeated gimmick to boot.

Jaysus deep pulls here.

Julia Hart is an undercard story but a blinding angle is as old as time in pro wrestling.

Must've missed that bit on the video package.

Silly gimmick sure but designed to get Jungle Boy over and obviously won't be his final form. Their chase for the titles was also classic old school pro wrestling.

But the most egregious of all, MJF. There's not a pro wrestler on the planet more old school. Keeps kayfabe always, classic heel heat tricks on the mic (sports teams, shushing the crowd, teasing wrestling on the night and backing out, dumping on the hometown crowd) all of this coming off a super old school feud vs Punk and now at the start of a teacher/protege style story in the classic vein of many a pro wrestling story. You could not pick less of a sports entertainment act if you tried, this pro wrestling geek is out here building his feud around a Punk/Raven feud from ROH 2003. Wrong.

To wrap this up, you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what pro wrestling is. Pro wrestling, particularly American Pro wrestling, isn't just match after match with no fun or no stories outside of the matches. I think what you're looking for there is RINGS. Your description makes it pretty clear you aren't quite sure what sports entertainment or Pro wrestling are.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭jo187

The WWE invented the term sports entertainment as to appeal to a bigger audience and advertisers.

At the end of day it's all wrestling. Just like in music you have all different types and people go for what they like. But it's still music at the end of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

2 title changes on Wednesday ?

I think the tag team titles will change for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Finally got around to this week's Rampage and it makes the sports entertainment stuff on here even more silly. In a week where AEW offered up 3 of the most pro wrestling, pro wrestling matches the timing could not be worse. This company could not be more pro wrestling, what do you expect with Tony Khan at the helm? What I loved about this week too was that it was 3 great matches all wrestled with completely different styles, there is no one house style in AEW.

FTR/Bucks was a match with a classic YB layout and built on their previous match and the FTR/Briscoes match from ROH. Whatever you want to categorise the YB style as, it's incredibly distinct.

Danielson/Trent was like an all action Match 2 from Night 13 of the G1 Climax style thing, a total sprint with a tonne of action.

Mox/Yuta a true to heart pro wrestling story told over 3 matches. My favourite of the 3, gorgeous and unashamedly pro wrestling to it's very core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

These things are always a lot more fun than they've any right to be;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Punk vs Penta announced for Dynamite 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 54,281 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

oh now this will be a very good contrast of styles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Seven matches listed. And there's going to be an overrun. Though one of the matches is Marina Shafir v Skye Blue which you'd imagine will just be Marina destroying Skye very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,281 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

AEW has announced the lineup for tonight’s new Dynamite episode, which you can see below:

– Minoru Suzuki vs. Samoa Joe (ROH Television Championship)

– Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus vs. reDRagon (AEW World Tag Team Championship)

– Eddie Kingston, Santana, Ortiz vs. Jericho Appreciation Society

– Keith Lee & Swerve Strickland vs. Ricky Starks & Powerhouse Hobbs

– MJF vs. Shawn Dean

– CM Punk vs. Penta Oscuro

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Strong card, will the BCC be on Rampage again? Nice to see them spreading out the top guys again and bumping Rampage up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Sick card, AEW knocking it out of the park again!

Joe about to embark on the best TV title run since RVD 98-00 or Lethal's 567 day reign in ROH!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Class from Punk and Penta.

Suzuki vs. Joe just WOW

AEW/ROH now have a real 7ft3” giant.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

Pat Buck who produced the Charlotte/Ronda and Roman/Brock main event at WM and quit after it is now working for AEW.

He was MJF’s original trainer as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

They killed that lad on his debut, no clue what they were thinking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That was an incredible show, right up until the final moments. Killed the guy stone dead on arrival, and should never have been a show closing moment.

Shame, cause the matches on the show were incredible. If anyone hasn't watched, just....turn off the show the second the last match ends, haha.

Also, gotta love that Mox said there needed to be less goofs in AEW during the show, and then....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭Cotts72

That Singh fella was a charisma vacuum and the part where dutt and lethal gave the finger was just cringe.

Lethal has been booked very poorly since arriving in AEW

AEW's Great Khali needs to be used very sparingly if they absolutely have to use him. I read it's to do with TV rights in India. But he's awful. Really good show otherwise. Though presenting The Butcher as someone Wardlow should be fearing is a bit much given he's been a mid card tag jobber for the most part when he hasn't been injured.

• Advertisement

'Booker of the Year' spoils the 'Feel Good' moment of the year.

Jade Cargill 2.0 and even that's harsh as Jade gave us some quality verbals.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

That show was solid all the way up until after the Suzuki/Samoa Joe match.

That's way too hard on Jade. She looks like Bryan Danielson in the ring compared to this chap's showing. He's too big to be any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

Punk/Penta was unreal. Loved the style and the variety from Punk here too felt different to his usual matches. Wardlow is an absolute star and it showed in that segment for sure. Everyone looked good coming out of that. Keith Lee/Strickland vs Team Tazz. Not sure what I can ya about that Main event but it was a masterpiece, they did so much with so little to tell the story.

There's a few black eyes on the show though. Marina's match was not good. She wasn't anything special in WWE but they hid it in a tag-team. AEW have been hyping her a lot and that didn't deliver. Her match with Jade could be a major trainwreck. Satnam Singh, yikes! There's a way this could have worked but it certainly wasn't a lights out and the slowest, beat down in recent memory. It was the most WWE thing I've seen outside of WWE in a long time. This guy is DOA though and God Forbid if they ram him down our throats for the India market.

Also all that overrun talk? What was that about, barely any longer, just an odd thing to do. Especially given how the thing ended.

Overall though, what a strong show and Rampage looks savage this week as well so not much to complain about.

Yeah Marina looked really awkward but she probably would have been better off with someone more experienced too. Skye Blue is still very raw. Or green you could say.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was trying to decide whether that guy at the end was Khali or Giant Gonzalez then saw he took Khali's finisher. Don't think Joe was too impressed either, going by how he snatched the towel and rolled away.

Now he has the title, they need to figure out what to do because as it stands AEW now has 4 men's single titles (6 if you count the Pure and FTW titles). Though they also have a huge roster. Wonder if it has anything to do with Tony's Big Announcement. He should trademark that at this point.

Speaking of, any rumours as to what it is. I know it was said above about India but hopefully that's not it.

Is there a reason for this show on Saturday or is it just because?

Shafir has just been on Dark really so no real challenge as of yet. Would think she would've picked up a bit from the husband by now.

Joe and Suzuki would be needing some ice after that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Some good matches, particularly that last match but that ending was abysmal. It's up there with the Dark Order creepers **** punches as one of the worst things they've done. Absolutely killed the guy dead too. Makes it even worse as when you've lights out and it's ROH, you'd be thinking Cesaro maybe and then we get that.

I'm kind of hoping AEW don't go too heavy on building angles for ROH too. Samoa Joe be Suzuki is grand or if they have FTR or Yuta defend their titles, but I'm not that interested in watching Gresham defend his title Vs Castle. There's too many guys in AEW as is for them to be trying to build ROH angles on AEW TV time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Hopefully his big announcement is for ROH getting there own TV show i watched the ROH Supercard and there is a lot of guys on there i've no interest in seeing on AEW long term

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Could the announcement be a ppv show in the UK to go against the wwe announcement?

• Advertisement

My guess is the streaming platform.

The Warner takeover by Discovery has now gone through.

Advertisement