Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

OK match, these 2 ladies are still just lacking that experience to make it as smooth as it could be. Enjoyed it though.

Athena (Ember Moon) finally makes an AEW appearance and is that another ex-WWE dude as Jade's new manager? No idea who he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I love everyone in this match

Buddy is a star

Insane match, not surprised to see Julia Hart, that whole thing has been so disjointed (I think because of Rey's injury), but with a bit of luck, it kick-starts her run too. Some spots and bumps as expected from those 6 men, the apron destroyer was wild.

Adam Cole and Samoa Joe now - Joe's condition not withstanding, I'm sure it'll be great.

Mike Chioda is All Elite!

Solid match, figured there'd be interference between either the Undisputed Elite or the Jay Lethal et all.

So is Ruby going over? Hardly booking Rancid to play live for the loser?

• Advertisement

Good match between Britt and Ruby, but what on earth do they do with Ruby now?

The belts are tasty too, this presentation's a good palette cleanser. Dr Hart seems like a good sort, I hope it's been a success from the foundation's POV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

This first ref's match by Aubrey.

Normally she is quite overblown and distracting but this is first match I noticed her

Thank. Fook. That's. Over.

Good match, sorta, but gods I fking despise what they've done with Sammy and especially Tay who should be in high level feuds as one of their best on a weak women's roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

MJF was always gonna show, funny that some people actually thought he wouldn't. Or that Goldberg would, leave Bill for the Saudis and the Universe to enjoy.

Thought the main, Deeb/Rosa, the tag titles, the trios and the ten man were all really good. Britt winning the Owen sucks.

RUSH is a great addition, get Andrade some focus hopefully and away from the jobbers. Maybe just in time for a Los Ingobernables reunion at FD. Stokley and Athena are solid gets too.

Roll on the Summer of Punk!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Kingston can cut a promo alright.

Has to be said tho for a man who's been wrestling years and is currently in one of the biggest companies in the world, he certainly doesn't like to work out.

Fine for the Indies. Not really aew or anywhere thats top. I know someone could argue does it matter? He does come off as lazy when you think about it. If he only had a body he probably would have got signed to wwe a decade ago. Isn't doing himself any favours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The 5vs5 was a whole lot more brutal than I thought it would be. That shot of Eddie walking out with the gas can was awesome, and the choke out finish was brutal.

House of Black match was awesome too.

Punk winning was great. Honestly, I’ve never connected with Page as much as others, and as a huge a punk fan, I’m way happier with that story.

Still think MJF stuff is a shoot, but in the end, he knew ditching the match would have been a disaster from a professionalism point of view. I think there’s a strong chance we don’t see him for a few weeks anyway. If even only to give him a break from the public eye for a bit.

Oh, knew I was forgetting something.

once they showed the two belts for the Owen tournament, I felt it completely ruined the results of both matches. Cause it made it clear they were going to present both simultaneously, which didn’t make sense for any other combo than Cole and Britt. And given I can’t stand Britt and way prefer Joe to Cole, that kind of killed off a huge chunk of the matches for me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,607 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kevin Owens say hello from the WWE with all his titles and his big money contract if you believe a body shape matter that much about being in the WWE.

Kingston's own personal demons got in his way something he freely and openly talks about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Comparing Eddie Kingston to Kevin Owens is an insult to Kevin Owens.

Yes, I got your reference. Owens seemingly doesn't work out when compared to your typical wwe jacked wrestler. But Owens is money. Owens knows what the inside of a gym looks like. Don't kid yourself, he's in good ring shape.

I like Kingston. I do. But there is a reason why wwe never wore him and there's a reason why wwe wore Owens.

Work shoot whatever I would let MJF sit at home now till at least after All Out they don't need him at the moment with the roster so stacked.

A few months off TV and then see where is stock is with no TV.

If they do bring him back after a few months he should get a great pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

First person that came to mind. Personally - as an late 80s/90s wrestling fan - I think the amount of muscle on display ruins it (but that is probably down to my age).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyone who thinks the MJF stuff is a work is an idiot imo. He did the minimum he needed to do last night, commentary didn't even mention it and it looked like he didn't even spray tan for the match (which he usually does).

No comment when Tony Khan was asked on it too.

As for the rest of the PPV, I think it was one of the weaker ones (since Revolution last year imo). Most of the matches were good albeit without a real killer match (Anarchy was the best), and then some decisions that I just didn't like (Cole and Britt, Statlander being sidelined by Athena, Punk winning) and then a few meh matches and nasty botches (Darby will kill himself some days).

It also went too long. 4 hours should be the max they go with. This was 2 matches too long imo.

A big shout out to Martha Hart as well it was so great to see her enjoying herself at a wrestling event.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

That some slog watching all that in one go. Too many matches just for the sake of it. The pacing of the ppvs has been awful. Knew that before watching it to be fair.

Kyle vs Darby, botches aside was one of my favorite matches. Death Triangle were good, Buddy Mathews had a good match. The 10 man match was mental, BCC not winning was a surprise, probably the only one of the night. Tag titles match was ok, thought Starks could have really hurt himself when Luchasorearse didn't catch him for whatever spot they planned.

Everything else on the card was a bit shite. Punk nearly falling on his arse twice trying the buckshot was depressing to watch, he should know better. And if anyone says it's a worked spot they are delusional. The crowd were bolloxed by the time it came around, so no surprised they were dead for it. Adam Cole and Britt... ugh. Have a tournament to build people up only for the two with the most exposure to win it. Ruby Soho was so bad, I was actually glad Britt won after seeing that sharpshooter. O'Reilly should have won the mens, especially after seeing him go over Darby so easily. Wardlow doing the silly stuff in between the powerbombs made him look stupid. Be a killer, don't start dancing. Jeff Hardy should call it a day soon, Matt moves better than him at this point.

Thought the fans treated Martha Hart well, very respectful so well done there.

Think Forbidden Door is just going to be a heap of multiman matches to keep everyone happy, which is grand but leaves it difficult to build for the ppv overall with only a month to go.

Can't believe they signed even more people. Ember Moon.. jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't know why Aubrey Edwards gets all the flak for attention-seeking. Baldy loves the limelight too...

You're a ref, no-one is here to see you. Go away and stand in the corner for moments like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

Well the show was predictably too long, so long I'll just do rough Pros/Cons and call it a day. Although calling some of these cons is probably harsh. I do think it may be AEW's weakest PPV though or certainly in recent memory.

Pros

HOB vs Death Triangle. About time they did the Julie Hart stuff but also it was a great match, really fun and crazy, basic in it's story but loved it.

KOR vs Darby. Shocked how much I loved this seemingly throwaway match and nice that Kyle won, was a surprise.

Tag title match. Loved this match, everyone shined in it. Ricky Starks is the man and I'm annoyed that Team Taz didn't come away with the titles but I think they want FTR to be the one to topple Jurassic Express.

Stokeley Hathaway is perfect for Jade. Athena is a great signing, I'm not confident they'll use her prominently and this is just to shut people up but all the same. Some great potential here. This match and the aftermath really made clear the focus is on the TBS championship and not the world championship.

Main Event. I'm glad Punk won, Hangman just hasn't been interesting as champ unfortunately, he'll get another shot and story with it sooner rather than later. Match itself was fine but I'm looking forward to another Summer of Punk.

Cons

MJF/Wardlow. It was exactly what it was meant to be but there was just a weird atmosphere to it with all the behind the scenes drama. People can say it's a work and maybe it will become one but commentary ignoring it and no comments on it during the Media scrum and even Punk not mentioning him as a possible challenger gives a rotten smell to the thing. I also thought it felt like MJF sleepwalked through the match but don't want to be called a mark haha.

Hardys/Young Bucks. It was fine but the Hardys were so slow that it threw the match off, they're just passed it which is sad to say.

The Owen Finals. Could this have been anymore obvious? Two titles clearly ready to be handed off to a duo and the winners were the only ones wearing pink and black. Britt has go away heat with me and Cole is getting there unfortunately. It was the safest most dull way this could have gone.

ATT vs Sammy/Tay/Kaz. Didn't care for this. PVZ was pretty green but might have potential, mostly I'm just glad this is over, so much so it was nearly a pro.

JAS vs BCC. A lot of people loved this, I just found it too sloppy for my liking. Some good spots but for most of the opening I just found it to be a mess. Eddie walking out with the gas cannister like a horror villain might have been the best thing on the show though.

TR vs SD. Match didn't do anything for me and again Rosa hasn't been an interesting champ. Not sure who is even left or has an argument to be the next contender outside of Britt (God Forbid).

Excited for the shows this week and hope we start to build to Forbidden Door, slightly worried they'll be mult-man matches of no consequence at this point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I really enjoyed that but it probably helped that I didn't watch it live but split it up. That said stupid youtube notification spoiled the main event for me :( If I could have made one change I'd have saved the Dax/Cole match for the PPV. I know it was more of a nod to Bret v Shawn so maybe it felt inappropriate but it was probably my favourite non FTR vs FTR match of the tournament. (If I could make 2 it'd be Statlander winning the women's)

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Sorry was meant to quote the ref post by Marston

Yeah, 100% he's always hopping about the place. Someone told me to check out the invisible man match(think it's still up on YouTube), it's like that match got him over with the smarks, which is ridiculous to say, but he keeps the theatrics turned up to 11 like he's doing that match. Most places always had a senior ref, I don't know if AEW have or not, but I'm gonna guess it's him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I felt the show dragged on for far too long. You could cut out at least two matches and saved them for a Dynamite episode.

I really enjoyed Invisible Man vs Invisible Stan - it's one of those perfect moments where the audience knows they can have a great laugh with this if they play along (and let's face it, that's what wrestling is anyway) and I think Remsberg played an absolute blinder. I showed this match to my girlfriend who's not into wrestling at all, but she loved this for the "theatre" of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cslu7zFmPjM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,782 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Bryce can be a fantastic ref when he wants to be (invisible Man Vs invisible Stan is a perfect example) and he should be earning a full time living doing it, however he does have an annoying tendency to be an Indy ref with his facials and body language, which is fine in front of 200 people who can see the whites of your eyes, but not on national TV.

MOD HAT

Warnings being issued to Coulsen and B.A. here, and deleted a tonne of childish posts.

Honestly, I'm just really sick of the same four or five guys constantly trying to bitch at each other. It's constantly the same lads who get into these fights, and it's reached a point where I'm bored of having to constantly clean it up. So warnings are going to get a lot more free and loose from me going forward for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

On the refs being OTT, I'm fine with it given I grew up with Hebner celebrating with Austin and maddogging the heels.

It's actually funny how things go; you would think WWE being sports entertainment would be all for eccentric refs but they've gone the opposite way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was wondering why there was a page less than last night. 😀

Just finished the PPV now. Overall it was good but glad I didn't watch live or all at once. Even going through it quickly felt long.

Commentary doing the "that other place doesn't exist" with Stokely saying how they hadn't seen him since 2018 or whenever. Okay, I know he was Malcolm Bivens in WWE but still. Don't know why it was a distraction to Anna though. But that was a bit of a messy match anyway.

But messy seemed to be the thing throughout the night. A number of times there were botches but most recovered okay.

Something that really stood out to me in the 10 man match is that Jericho may want to take part in a hair vs hair match at some point. Wasn't expecting Bryan to take the loss.

What's with the women wearing fishnet tights these days? Paige, Tay and Anna at the PPV then have seen Becky and others as well. Just seems a strange choice to me.

• Advertisement

Only got around to finishing the PPV tonight. When I watch the PPVs these days, I split it into 2 nights to watch it and it makes it more enjoyable . Couldn't do 4+ hours in one sitting.

Shocked at how much I enjoyed anarchy in the arena. As someone who wasn't a big fan of the stadium stampedes, I thought I'd hate it but I thought it was great.

Really enjoyed Punk Vs Hangman and Derby Vs O'Reilly as well. Rosa Vs Deeb was good but I still think Rosa is carrying some type of injury. Just hasn't been as quick or crisp in her last few matches.

Jeff Hardy is looking really beat up since getting to AEW. Really think he should call it a day soon.

Everything else was grand except for the 6 man mixed tag and Jade Vs Anna Jay.

The mixed 6 person was the worst thing for me. Scorpio and Frankie doing a stare down at the start and looking to the crowd expecting a big reaction was hilarious though. I think Kazarian might be the least over person on the roster. Doesn't get boos or cheers just silence.

Jade and Anna Jay looked really green. A lot of messy spots.

It was a decent show overall.

Advertisement