Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,172 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I imagine in Full Sail it must be easy to hear spots being called by wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,629 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Seems AEW took advantage of not having Smackdown last night with a Countdown to Dynamite special recapping what has gone so far.

This unadvertised show drew 600k viewers compared to 1m NXT drew the previous week on USA and that had been hyped to the hill across all WWE TV and USA for week.

It will be interesting to see the overnight ratings that come out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

NXT needs to get out of Full Sail, the crowd was so quiet at times you could hear conversations going on in the crowd whereas AEW looked like Nitro at it's peak and the crowd was electric all night.

Why should nxt get out of full sail ? It's what has made it stand out from raw and smackdown. I'd actually be dissapointed if nxt left full sail. So first show aew looked like peak nitro ? Let's hope for all our sakes AEW never gets to late 1999/early 2000 nitro as pro wrestling needs this competition badly. I've only seen screenshots of the AEW show from last night and fair enough I looked well and didn't look **** but given its turner broadcasting involved I'd be shocked if it didn't look good production wise.

NXT needs to get out of Full Sail, the crowd was so quiet at times you could hear conversations going on in the crowd whereas AEW looked like Nitro at it's peak and the crowd was electric all night.

Why should nxt get out of full sail ? It's what has made it stand out from raw and smackdown. I'd actually be dissapointed if nxt left full sail. So first show aew looked like peak nitro ? Let's hope for all our sakes AEW never gets to late 1999/early 2000 nitro as pro wrestling needs this competition badly. I've only seen screenshots of the AEW show from last night and fair enough it looked well and didn't look **** but given its turner broadcasting involved I'd be shocked if it didn't look good production wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

14,000 fans in a full arena every week looks better than 300 fans in the same place every week. NXT looks small time in comparison.

Anyone tuning in will think AEW is the big time show and NXT is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,877 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sky88 wrote: »
    Good show only one thing i hated was swagger as hes a big load of nothing but can see why they went for him with the bellator connection

one thing they have over NXT is the look of the show is much better as im sure they cant do too much with full sail

Swagger though compared to most of the roster has presence, he's probably 6'6 and close to 250 pounds. Can see him being the Rick Rude of the group, just stand there and look big while beating guys up. Gives Jericho a bodyguard to do most of the heavy work at times for him and with the MMA background he's got legit fighting skills to make him look the part as 'the muscle'.

Could be a fun little faction that can be broken up again to two smaller groups for feuds. Jericho with Swagger as his muscle and LAX with Sammy Guevara.

I like Sammy, he's got that smug pr*ck look about him and could do similar as Rollins with J&J but LAX can actually throw down and beat the **** outta people for Sammy who just needs to stand there looking smug af getting all that heel heat. LAX can then get their big babyface pop when they finally break away from the faction. Funnily enough Sammy and LAX teamed together at WrestleCon.

Looks like AEW won the ratings war
    From WWE: "Congratulations to AEW on a successful premiere. The real winners of last night's head-to-head telecasts of NXT on USA Network and AEW on TNT are the fans, who can expect Wednesday nights to be a competitive and wild ride as this is a marathon, not a one-night sprint."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,172 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Riho is tiny. A gust of wind would take her away.

Works great for David vs Goliath stuff though.

A light breeze would take her out, and so would I.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Thought that was brilliant for a first weekly show, the ring/stage setup looked great, and the main was really good, nice surprise with Hager too.

Refreshing to see a North American company keep almost the majority of the show in-ring, with no backstage attempted murder or multiple cuck angles. Hopefully they can keep it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Good first show. Will need to see how they use the roster on a weekly basis. They had all the Elite members on this week, as it's the first week but need to be careful they don't appear every week.
    Wonder if they'll keep announcing matches in advance or will they start going the Raw/Smackdown route of setting up on the night.

So maybe I missed it, but why wasn't the main event a DQ result with Moxley's interference?

Hager looked a monster in Lucha Underground as well.

From looking at the ratings and numbers from last night AEW got 1,400,000 odd viewers and nxt got 890,000 viewers. I mean that’s a clear win for AEW in week one, but one week doesn’t mean much. If AEW do this on a continuous basis then clearly they are on a winner. And if AEW hadn’t beaten nxt or at least matched them given the amount of buzz around it then it would have been a disaster early doors.

I’ve seen more people online talking like some here have about the full sail thing and that nxt should move so clearly I’m on the wrong side of that argument. I personally think that nxt should stay in full sail as I believe that venue was part of what made us all like nxt even if we didn’t realise it. It was different and kind of a hybrid version of the old studio wrestling look. Nxt have sold out the Barcleys Center for a takeover so it’s proven it can do it.

The big think for both nxt and AEW going forward is can they sustain and build on what both did last night. That’s the bigger question.

I mean just looking at the state of wrestling in the US and the amount of places for wrestlers to work and to be seen on TV is amazing given where it went after WCW went away. We have four live wrestling shows a week spread over two companies and we have two others(MLW and impact) who have weekly shows that are taped and the NWA is putting its stuff on YouTube starting next week. Wrestling in general hasn’t been as popular in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

I thought AEW plus and ROH was available on FITE? Can’t find it. Has something changed??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yeah the ratings are very interesting.
    AEW hammered NXT and in the all important 18-49 demographic especially. So from here it's going to be interesting to see how the ratings hold. It was a great show but they didn't offer much in the way of what was coming next week or any storylines so wonder if that could effect casual viewers.

Will also be interesting to see how NXT gets changed up in response. They only lost 10 percent of their ratings to AEW so might not make a major difference either way not to mention plenty of people are probably going to wait and watch it on the network, which I'm sure WWE will shout about soon enough. Could see a lot more main roster stars in NXT soon. As for moving out of Full Sail, I feel it's needed to a certain degree, Full Sail will probably stay as base camp, I do vaguely remember them extending their deal with the university. On the road NXT will still be doing smaller venues than AEW. They've packed the rafters for Takeovers but those are just that, Takeovers. 5 a Year at most in strong wrestling markets often in line with a WWE Big '4' PPV. I say that as a huge NXT fan. NXT are in the weird position of trying to push themselves as the competition but also saying they're developmental, you can't be both and I think it hurts them overall.

So, really over the next few weeks the things to watch out for are AEW ratings stabilising, should still easily be above NXT numbers and aside from that seeing how NXT will change as a result to try get one over on the new brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

sirmanga wrote: »
    I still don't get Cody Rhodes. He doesn't look like a wrestler. Sure, he's in great shape but he has this awkward, wiry frame that makes him look like an eight year old boy.

Find him painful to listen to, he’s awkward and tbh the lisp is distracting

Loved that Tony took pride in being back on National TV and it really didn't sound like he had been away from for the guts of two decades and did his homework and sounded great compared to JR who at times just seems uninterested and hasn't done his homework.

Tony and Excalibur being the main leads would work really well together.

JR wasn't that bad last night and hopefully he starts to do his homework on wrestlers etc

I will also say Tony looks great and seems to have lost a lot of weight since he started the podcast with Conrad and started get back into the wrestling worlds public eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    fair enough I looked well and didn't look **** .

Jesus, no need to boast about it! :pac:

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    fair enough I looked well and didn't look **** .

Jesus, no need to boast about it! :pac:

Wha ? Fecking autocorrect rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I thought this was meant to be on ITV4 tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

ITV site has it as being on from 11:20 til 1:20

https://www.itv.com/hub/tv-guide/2019-10-04

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

CastorTroy wrote: »
    ITV site has it as being on from 11:20 til 1:20

https://www.itv.com/hub/tv-guide/2019-10-04

Yeah it was on at that time. Must have only been added to the schedule recently as it didn't show up on my virgin box's menu when I looked for it last week - only the Sunday morning show was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

First time watching a wrestling show in about 10 years I think (besides TNA when it was excellent with AJ,Samoa Joe,Christian Cage,Bully Ray etc.) and must say I found it engrossing and loved every minute!

Hager looks like an absolute monster!

Roll on next week!Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Watched this last night and was impressed very solid card il defo tune in next week but the two champions Jerico looked fat and out of shape and Riho is childlike small.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dannocasey

I've not watched any modern wrestling in around 15 odd years aside from the occasional clips you'd see online. It's really wrestling podcasts that got me semi-interested in wrestling once again and I have to admit when I heard AWE was going to be on TV head to head I got quite excited. The loss of competition from WCW and ECW had a big part in why I fell out of love with wrestling I think, especially after how badly WWE managed the invasion etc. It's a shame as well as I've missed the rise of Irish talent like Seamus, Fin and Becky aside from hearing and seeing bits here and there

Anyway, I quite enjoyed the AEW show. I don't know much of the roster but I found the whole thing quite refreshing but also with a huge hint of nostalgia, especially with Tony and JR on commentary. I have to admit there was some excitement and lots of refreshing online on Thursday morning wanting to see how the ratings went and I'm delighted AWE had a strong first week.

Not sure how long my enthuasism for the modern product will remain but I'm going to check out AEW next week and see if it's going to keep me hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Loved Tony and JR bouncing off each other

I may be biased as i have been craving something new but I really enjoyed this show
    It felt new while also like an experienced production

The women's match was the best imo

Really looking forward to coming weeks

Also love how much Kenny pisses Cornette off :D

AEW “Dark” will begin Tuesday on YouTube (hosted by Tony Schiavone). It will show the dark matches from Dynamite each week.

They bought ad space on Something to Wrestle with WWE's Senior Vice President Bruce Prichard this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dannocasey

They bought ad space on Something to Wrestle with WWE's Senior Vice President Bruce Prichard this week :)

I thought that was funny as 30 seconds earlier Conrad mentioned it was a big week but didn't mention AEW by name

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

AEW Dynamite was also advertised during the Rugby World Cup of all things on ITV yesterday morning. The host of the RWC casually mentioning it.

The show itself was really good and fresh. Interesting to see if they can keep it going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,877 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Darby Allin Vs Jimmy Havoc announced for Wednesday night, winner gets a title shot.

Advertisement