Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

I was thinking around that same and with a bit of a marketing push and maybe a big name attraction they could sell it.

Think if nothing else it would be a good idea to raise the profile of AEW in Europe.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I think they'd be better doing something smaller that they could easily sell out instead of going straight for a massive show. Now when I say smaller I mean not going for a big stadium show, go for the likes of Wembley arena or the O2. Maybe a few smaller house shows around the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As have seen here and other places online, interest for AEW seems to be declining so by the time they come to this part of the world will interest have improved or gotten worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

While the Khan's own Craven Cottage, I can't seem to find any history of anything other than football matches being held there?

So it could be a case of logistics (could the ground accommodate the trucks, equipment etc) or local rules (pretty swanky part of London, mightn't be easy to get clearance for noise/music/pyro after a certain time of day) that would be the bigger hurdles for AEW putting a show on there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’m sure with everything in life. Money talks.

• Advertisement

Check out Kenny's arm.

Seeing people suggest, it's a bite mark from Ace Steel. Certainly looks like one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think they'd rather sell out a 8-10k place than half-fill 20+k Craven Cottage. Genuinely hard one to call, I'd consider going and I know I wouldn't be the only one, but that's a lot of "maybe" and not a lot of "definitely" I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Kinda disturbing that he is intimating high level HR leaks in his statement. Looks like, while a close relationship with the sheets has helped AEW getting off the ground, they need to start locking stuff down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

You're right, its disturbing, specifically on the nature of the leaks, ie his mental state being discussed etc. It's been talked about on Reddit for at least a couple weeks now, and how he'd asked for his release.

Not to defend him, but isn't this what started the whole Punk scenario (really) that got everyone suspended also?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There was a load of rumours about Bray Wyatt and his mental health when he was released too..

I think the onus is on the people publishing the rumours to have a bit more cop on when it comes to such serious topics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Funny, i saw someone on reddit make the point that Punk joined and specifically stated that the 'tight ship' they kept when Brodie died was a big reason that he signed. They then pointed out that (and i don't know the dates for sure) that the ship started leaking right after wrestlemania, when Pat Buck moved to AEW as a producer. Could be sh1te but it's a nice conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's stupid being like "But WWE" or "But AEW".

Every workplace has gossipy cúnts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Not keeping medical information private is pretty shambolic. Seems like the Malakai's been through a lot this last couple of years and fair play to him for saying "you know what? I need a break." I hope he makes a full recovery no matter what his future plans are.

Maybe Black himself spoke to the dirt sheets to try and force AEW's hand and release him from his contract.

Black was happy a year ago to sign a 6 year deal with AEW and miss a lot of the last 6 months recovering from injuries so it's not like he was actually working much in AEW buyers regret maybe after seeing his wife re- sign with the WWE just a week or two after he signed with AEW.

If Black re-signs with the WWE in the next few months it would look like he was the one that instigated the whole thing to get his move.

This mental health thing will become a lot more common I'd say Jeff Hardy used it to get out of his contract like a back injury it is nearly impossible to prove if some is lying you just have to take their word.

Ali spoke about his mental health trying to force the WWE to release him from his contract and they refused to let him go.

Anyway I'm in NYC looking forward to Arthur Ashe tomorrow last year was one of the best wrestling events I was ever at and it will doing well to even come close to matching that.

Let the complainers start...

“Yeah, big time. It’s gonna be really special. You don’t wanna miss this one. If there’s still opportunity for you to come Wednesday night and you’re a wrestling fan around New York, you do not wanna miss this. It is going to be, I believe, have you guys seen ‘Wayne’s World 2’? This is gonna be like my Waynestock. I’ve been through a lot lately, and we’ve gone through a lot. I’m telling you, it’s gonna come together, this is gonna like Waynestock. It’s gonna be that one perfect night in New York City this Wednesday night. Expect a lot, and you shall not be disappointed,”

Tony Khan

“I’m gonna do my best to make it a fun night for the fans. I promise I won’t disappoint with it this time. I rarely have, and rarely, rarely, rarely in several hundred shows have I ever, and certainly never intentionally. This will not be anything, anything, anything, like anything we’ve ever done before. I’m very excited for Grand Slam,”

Tony Khan

What is there to even complain about there?

Wrestling promoter promotes their wrestling show.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The complainers will be after when it doesn't live up to the hype.

So how many times will the lights go out?

Exactly, if you're going to act the martyr at least wait until there's a reason to crucify you🤣

Who could return or debut at this point? Someone from NJPW popping up?

I'm guessing the big feel good moment will be the Acclaimed winning gold. Hoping Bryan wins the gold, Moxleys had enough titles (interim or otherwise) give Danielson a chance and play out the conflict with the BCC.

People get very defensive about their favourite cokehead. Have to get preemptive strikes in just in case his promises fail to deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mox putting off his holiday to do these matches makes me think he loses, and then vanishes on a break for a bit.

I'm just curious if Bryan gets a longer run or not. It feels like the idea was probably to move into Punk vs MJF. Does MJF take the belt quickly to get whatever plans they had for him back on track? Do they keep him away from Bryan for a bit and let Bryan have a decent reign?

It's an interesting one. I wonder what they do with the MJF story now with Punk gone. Will be interesting to watch, especially as it feels like at times AEW can be quite rigid in their plans but there's no way of doing that match for the forseeable.

Moxley vs MJF seems like the direction but I don't think Mox needs the title again anytime soon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I actually hope Mox doesn't win here, as I think he deserves better than another short transitional reign. We'll just be waiting for him to drop it and it will make him very hard to take seriously as a proper champ in the future.

I'd like to see Bryan win and they give him a few months with it. I'm also a bit cool on MJF at the moment thanks to the Punk situation so I hope they delay his going for the title until he builds up some momentum again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I think I've enjoyed maybe 2 Moxley matches ever, the guy is terrible in the ring and his mannerisms are awful. Every time he does that shoulder shrug thing I roll my eyes. And then when he runs up the turnbuckle and then runs to the opposite turnbuckle, it looks stupid. And when he leans on the middle rope and hangs out of the ring, so bad. Do people think this shít is good? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

As a fellow Shane I whole heartedly agree.

To make it a hattrick of Shanes, I also agree.

Moxley is too tryhard. He has dialled it back since kicking the booze though. He was ridiculous back then, taking pictures of himself smoking with a bottle of a whiskey. Cop on like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm hoping Danielson takes it, it will open up whole new avenues to drive stories forward. Pre built challengers such as Daniel Garcia, who's kept the pace alongside Bryan in their matches, instead of more of the same with Mox. I enjoyed his run as interim champ though, it was the best way to move the company forward, given all those injuries etc, right guy at the right time.

Tony needs to chill a bit with the promises.

AEW really need to do something with their title situation though, the main titles don't feel as valued as they should. We don't need to see the World Champ in action each week, he should be a special attraction. They had done this somewhat with Hangman, and the TNT title was more prominently featured, like the Workhorse Title the IC belt used to be. To me, the TBS Title and it's holder are being pushed as the bigger deal. Jade is green as hell in the ring, but she's got amazing presence and is really good on the mic, plus she's improving under Danielson's tutelage, I believe). The main women's championship does not feel as important. Thunder Rosa really didn't do a lot for the title and can't talk, Britt Baker doesn't know how to sell, Toni Storm is the interim champ now. She was losing clean to Thunder Rosa before the "injury", so logically, a 100% returning Rosa should handily beat Toni again to unify.

They've somewhat rectified the Tag Belt situation, giving the titles to Swerve / Lee. That whole division is somewhat complicated with FTR walking round with 3 belts now. But with Swerve / Lee, you've got 2 guys that can talk, and complement each other's styles in the ring - what one is missing in their offence, the other guy has, and vice versa. Plus, there's the underlying trust issues - these are ingredients for a perfect tag team, in my opinion.

They also need to get a handle back on the rankings - Tony has admitted now that the focus has been purposely taken away from this - either do it or don't

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If I'm Tony, I'm figuring out when to push Dax Harwood. Not saying he can be the top top guy, but as an underneath babyface going after the title, initially not taken seriously, puts together a few wins, people start believing, etc., he could make a really compelling angle.

The more I see his stuff on Twitter, and his "eight year old girl promo", the more I think he could be AEW's Mick Foley (in terms of that relatable underdog guy the fans genuinely love), but with the added bonus of being a magician in the ring.

This could go horribly bad or if done right could be great.

• Advertisement

Can someone translate this for me, please?

(I'm aware of B-B-B-Bobby Boucher but how does it figure into wrestling?)

Advertisement