Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,288 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bloody hell that was some show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

Darby getting the title was a weird diversion but he had a pretty great little run as short as it was. That match was absolutely insane to the point that I actually get worried watching Darby wrestle, the lad is gonna wreck himself someday. Amazing though, Wardlow looks a lot blander with the new hair unfortunately.

Great show again though. I do think MJF and the Acclaimed are coming off as a bit stale as champs though which is a shame, seems like it happens a lot in AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,354 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Imagine this was Trench 2 years ago

This is Trench now

That is some change in 2yrs....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's his body, he can do what he wants with it but he looks fúcking ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

You see a lot like that around Portland/Seattle but usually the answer is meth 😅

Shouldn't a tattoo artist say no? I know money is money but I imagine they take a lot of pride in their work and would they want to be associated with what is essentially children's marker scribbles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Absolutely made up The 'King Of Television' is the TNT Champion once again!!!!

Should never of dropped it in the first place!

Absolutely loving Joe at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Always loved Samoa Joe from way back in his TNA days. Always felt he deserved more but something was always getting in his way. He seems right at home in AEW all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭wayne040576

How much would Red Velvet weigh? Somewhere in the 50 - 65 KG range?

I know when I was in my 20s I could maybe lift a 50K bar over my head. But I couldn't hold it straight, walk up three steps of that size then dump it over those ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Expected a more active thread considering the matches.

MJF actually had a match for a change.

Bryan gets his Iron Man match.

Screwy Gauntlet match finish.

Screwy tag title match finish which seemed like they were getting the belts off the Acclaimed for some reason rather than the Gunns deserving them.

And the Trios match full of spots. Even though I've seen him plenty of times by now, AR Fox doesn't seem the type to do those kinds of things.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That seems to be a problem with AEW putting on fantastic wrestling week in week out but it’s not getting people talking or tuning in, in high numbers.

I do think they swung too far from WWE’s playbook. I think there’s a market for a product that’s in the middle of the AEW/WWE playbook.

WCW became success in the 90s as it had a gripping storyline in the nwo. AEW doesn’t have a big storyline to draw people in.

Well they do seem to be going with the "Throw multiple factions at the wall" tactics. Maybe the next title they introduce will be the factions title.

Seemed to be a smaller venue than normal this week as well.

I was going to say the same thing, AEW doesn't seem to have any real stories going at the moment or at least they rarely get any development.

Makes it hard to get invested in some of the matches when it seems like such a forgone conclusion for so many of them. On the other hand, Ricky Starks has been totally cooled off for me with this JAS stuff and The Gunns winning is a surprise but not sure something that is a good thing.

I've been saying before that MJF as champion has gotten kinda lazy and exposed his promo game, I'm sorry but this week really was one of the worst. Sexist comments at the ref and some edgy story about swapping seats after a crash seems really try hard and cheap to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Getting heat ewith a car crash story after what happened just a few weeks ago is weird..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

They ran a drowning spot after shad gaspard drowned, carny's gonna carny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Yeah, I don't find his promos interesting at all. It's like he's trying to appeal to 14 year old boys. His run as champion has been quite tedious. I actually cancelled my Fite sub to AEW plus yesterday as I seem to have lost interest in it. I find myself hitting the fast forward button too much during dynamite. Having great 'matches' is pointless if there's little or no story behind them. I might come back in a few months. Although I said that when I stopped looking at WWE and I haven't gone back to that in over 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,684 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The way they handle the broader narratives is getting really weird... like, they set up this infighting angle in the best of 7 trios matches, with Penta and Pac willing to go the extra mile but Fenix holding back - and then as soon as the series was over, Death Triangle just went away, and a whole potential story has just gone untold.

The wrestling aspect itself is always good, and it keeps me watching each week just about, but there's nothing really to talk about. It's basically just like a wrestling cèilidh, with all the wrestlers swapping partners every week without much in the way of rhyme or reason.

Haven't been watching every single minute since All Out but watching the odd episode of Dynamite here and there and here are my thoughts.

The MJF feud structure got stale long ago. Get through 3-4 opponents before facing him, it's the same stuff every time.

Speaking of the same stuff every time... A fan favorite going up against Jericho and then having a feud that goes on way too long so by the end of it the person facing Jericho has completely cooled off.

I think Takeshita is amazing but he gets a few wins on dark and then loses to the established names on Dynamite. I know someone is going say it's good for him just facing these guys but you can't have him losing on TV all the time.

The trios titles. I couldn't give a ****. Dynamite has good matches every week (and that includes trios matches) but I don't care if there isn't good stories. I want Omega to get away from it and go singles. And realistically how many proper trios are there in the roster to keep it fresh? A joke of a championship.

And finally, is anyone actually looking forward to MJF vs Danielson in an iron man match? I know I'm not.

Also the gap between Full gear and revolution is ridiculous and can make the build up to matches so tedious.

Sorry for a big rant but just really down on AEW atm.

• Advertisement

Seems like a lot of people are in agreement, a rarity around here for sure🤣

The trios titles just seem totally pointless. There's no clear division so teams feel thrown together. The Elite haven't done anything with them that makes them feel like a necessary or important title, at least it was giving us Death Triangle on TV.

I'm sick of people saying Jericho is putting over young talent, I'm sorry but them getting the win after a months of feuding that totally cools them is doing no favours to anyone. It feels like anytime an act gets momentum he feuds with them and they're the worse off for it.

The MJF feuds are so copy and paste by now. Like having random wrestlers show up for Danielson isn't interesting. You can give me dream match after dream match and it can be technically amazing but I'm not going to be invested at the end of the day when we know the end result and we see it every week and there's no real build. It also does nothing to get me invested in the MJF/Danielson match, which I agree, an hour long Iron Man match does not have me excited, seems excessive.

I've been down on AEW for a while and since Full Gear it felt like they reset for a while and had some great Dynamites but at the end of the day, they don't have anything to consistently keep me interested or engaged. I'm not saying it needs to go full sports entertainment but there should be some balance. I just never understood why I should get behind someone who is just a 'great' wrestler when AEW is literally full of great wrestlers, so why should I care more about one over the other.

I'm also someone who let me Fite subscription lapse, I'm hoping I will come back at some stage but there's so little for me to care about in AEW right now.

Well clearly this site is the minority because Tony Khan says this is the greatest run AEW has ever been on, according to Cagematch ratings.

45:20 for that particular nugget.

With the amount of women on the roster, they should've had tag titles for them before the trios title.

As for the Iron Man match, whatever about Bryan's body and injuries now, he'll be a lot worse after that fight from carrying MJF for an hour. Has MJF ever shown he could hold his own for an hour? And there's a pretty good chance it'll end with a screwy finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I think it is hard for anyone to care about AEW at the moment since the best storyline in wrestling right now is The Bloodline.

Nothing to do with that for me. Couldn't care less about WWE, anytime I've tried to watch it since HHH took over I find it very boring (like NXT was week to week when he ran it) and he's re-signed a load of shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I just watch the shows live, read the thread here every now and again. Can't be really arsed posting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

To be fair other than solid in ring action AEW isn’t giving you much to post about though that’s the issue. Where’s the stakes? Where’s the viewer hook?

That’s why they’ve consistently failed to grow the audience. They’re appealing to the same audience week in week out with little attempt to draw new eyes onto the product.

Ya I dont tend to post here much myself especially with the trolls in this thread.

If I'm entertained by the 3 hours a week I invest, + the quarterly ppv's then that's all I really care for.

• Advertisement

I've just fallen out of love with Boards completely.

Advertisement