Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

In fairness iirc Saraya was prominently featured for a good while after she debuted, she just turned out to be awful. MM would probably have a better time of it

The division needs a complete overhaul in general though, there's 3 shows now so they really should be able to work 2 feuds per title

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yeah true, assuming she has a contract that allows her lots of freedom. Not sure she'd be as happy if she was told she'd have a Dynamite match once a month and otherwise be confined to Rampage. She seems to care a lot about how she's perceived and her place on the card but who knows.

Money and creative freedom is a big factor obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Speaking of not being used, seeing Emi Sakura on RoH this week reminded me she was on Dynamite this week. Looked her up and it's her first Dynamite since 2019. Was constantly on the YouTube shows.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Not sure why?

United Centre is home of the Chicago Bulls and he's going to be at Starcast anyway. Probably play up his NWO connection and let him slap some heel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They love kissing Chicago's hole.

Apart from Punk, why do they make a big deal about Chicago?

I'll take a guess and say he will be involved in the Starks/steamboat angle?

Tony Khan is also from Illinois so he probably has a lot of memories or fondness for Chicago as a wrestling location.

Even though I agree that they tend to go there a bit too often.

Impact's Bound For Glory is in Chicago as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sammy & Jericho vs. Aussie Open being set up there

Is Sammy going betray Jericho to join the United Empire?

Roddy is killing it that quick sit down interview with Reene was great, By all accounts he was spotted at the airport flying back after All In wearing the neck brace as well.

He also had a match at PWG, came out in the neck brace, took it off for his match then immediately put it back on 🤣. His whiny ex character is the best thing he's done for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Punk fired

STATEMENT FROM ALL ELITE WRESTLING AND TONY KHAN

All Elite Wrestling (AEW) has terminated the wrestler and employment agreements between Phillip Brooks (CM Punk) and AEW with cause, effective immediately. The termination was confirmed today by Tony Khan, CEO, General Manager and Head of Creative of AEW. 

The termination follows a weeklong internal investigation of an incident occurring back stage at AEW – All In London on Sunday, August 27. Following the investigation, the AEW Discipline Committee met and later convened with outside legal counsel before making a unanimous recommendation to Khan that CM Punk be terminated with cause. 

Khan offered the following statement:

“Phil played an important role within AEW and I thank him for his contributions. The termination of his AEW contracts with cause is ultimately my decision, and mine alone. Of course, I wish I didn’t have to share this news, which may come as a disappointment to many of our fans. Nevertheless, I am making the decision in the best interests of the many amazing people who make AEW possible every week – our talent, staff, venue operators and many others whose efforts are unsung but essential to bringing our fans great shows on television and at arenas and stadiums throughout the world.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Some joke!

Surely Jungle Boy should be gone too!

Really pissed off he's gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Statement basically says nobody could work with him any more. A sad ending, his debut was a great buzz.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

For Jungle Boy, it’s his first offence. A suspension is enough.

For Punk, it’s his third, and with different people.

Thats presuming both initiated the fight, which isn’t the story going round. If it’s true Punk threw the first punch, and threw a strop at Khan too, it’s 100% the right and fair move to move him on.

Timing is fun just before a WWE PPV.

I'd say the week long investgation was also to do with Warner Bros as they were the ones who wanted Punk front and centre and they are the main money behind the company now.

Punk the character will be missed however I doubt Phil Brooks the man will be missed.

Fired nearly a year to the day after he should have been originally fired.

Hope it's not his wedding anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Some balls shown by Khan, finally.

What now for Punk? NJPW? Autograph circuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭kksaints

It was never going to work after his first suspension was it? There was just too much backstage issues after that. Probably months of storylines down the tubes also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

deleted the other thread since there’s more discussion here, lol.

what Meltzer is referring to.

"Another version, and this would be a neutral source who was not a wrestler but was there and witnessed it and his version was that right after Perry came to the back, Punk went nose-to-nose with him aggressively and asked him if he had a problem. That person said Perry said he was just looking to get heat as a heel. Punk shoved him hard, Perry got in his face and in that version Punk sucker punched him and went for a choke. People immediately broke it up and Khan was yelling at Punk to let him go.

That person said that once they were separated, Punk lunged in Khan’s direction but a number of people got in his way while Punk was yelling “I Quit.” Monitors were knocked down during all this. Joe was very upset and went to calm Punk down."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Bye bye Punk.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I would say I'm shocked, but, well, you know...

So Punk was fired that should mean he is a free agent with no non compete clause.

That gives Vince a few hours to get Punk the 400 miles to Pittsburgh to get him on the PPV to get his Payback on AEW.

It's about time Khan showed him the door.

What a weird (final?) chapter for CM Punk. He had some great feuds and matches but there was so much more that could have happened. Collision will be interesting from now on, does it get the same attention or does it become Rampage 2.0.

Doing it before a weekend of Chicago shows is really interesting too. I'll miss the drama tbh.

Doubt we'll see him in WWE, not sure the talent would want him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

All Out a little over 24 hours away in you guessed it Chicago Illinois, wonder what the crowd will be like, he's out on his arse now for being a one man wrecking crew backstage but did Tony Khan really have to give Punk the idea that he had any kind of clout to call out other Wrestlers on using materials for their matches, Jungle Boy may have went out of his way to get at Punk at All In not a wise thing to do but he did it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,902 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Finally but Tony khan should’ve done it months ago but because Tony hasn’t the balls to tell people to cop on. I mean Tony khan let the situation get to where it was before punks press conference melt down so he shares some blame there.

Exactly, it's crazy to think how things might have gone if this had been handled properly. Should have had Hangman and Punk has things out after their promo shots, should have made it clear that Punk didn't have Colt removed, shouldn't have given Punk the power he had. Shouldn't have brought him back the first time most likely. Shouldn't have made him the focus of a show that was going to do nothing but create a larger divide in the locker room. The list goes on. Badly handled by all sides. Punk doesn't make things easy on himself but there's plenty of blame to go around.

Even crazier to think that had Punk not cracked his ankle doing a dumbass stage dive that none of this might have happened. It's a real butterfly effect.

He wrecked 6 months of storylines that effected so many talent after All Out last year and he has gone and done it again this year during All In.

Ricky Starks, CMFTR, the real heavyweight champion storys that were being built over the last few weeks are all in the toilet now.

Not totally shocked but definitely the right call to fire him, agree he should have been fired earlier but glad Khan made the decision. Even if he goes to WWE do you really think his attitude or actions will change, he'll still be same old Punk at the end of the day. He did have some great matches/rivalries with the likes of MJF and Kingston while in AEW.

• Advertisement

He now joins the handful of AEW talent that were fired and they were fired for sexual abuse allegations.

Everyone else that has left AEW had their contracts honored and weren't resigned.

Advertisement