Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think Cody said he somehow reclaimed most of the old WCW PPV names that WWE haven't utilised. War Games is the only one he couldn't that he wanted.

How did he manage that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

They better have the stage set up as a beach. Orange Cassidy making sand castles for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Battlebowl sounds interesting for a company that's big into tag team wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

There was a rumour going around that they might name a PPV; Blood and Guts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

What's the weather like in Florida in January? Wouldn't have associated it with going to the beach but maybe it is pleasant all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ThePott wrote: »
    There was a rumour going around that they might name a PPV; Blood and Guts

Still not as cool as Impact naming a PPV Hard to Kill. That is simply a perfect name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Pentecost wrote: »
    What's the weather like in Florida in January? Wouldn't have associated it with going to the beach but maybe it is pleasant all year round.

It is pleasant all year around. It's Florida! :D

You get rain as you do any time of year but it's still plenty warm, probably about 20 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Loughc wrote: »
    How did he manage that?

You have to constantly reapply to continue to own trademarks. Stuff slips through the cracks all the time.

Another problem WWE has - off topic now - is that they apply for trademarks for the wrestlers and in the application they claim the character name is not for any individual person, even though obviously it is. Sometimes they get rejected and they have to reapply with the permission of the performer. If they can't get that, they may lose a name. Billy Gunn, I believe, is one of those. Wrestled as Kip in TNA but eventually got the name back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Pretty big developments on BTE this week:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I very rarely watch the Being the Elite but if that is Justin Roberts gimmick on it, it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

ERG89 wrote: »
    Still not as cool as Impact naming a PPV Hard to Kill. That is simply a perfect name.
    Meant to be a dig at WWE and Vince for saying that AEW was a Blood and Guts company and WWE were family entertainment or some nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

BTE..Marty to save the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

raven136 wrote: »
    BTE..Marty to save the day

Yup. It's going to be so great

Save what day now?

Why are they using a PPV name from WCW?

A reminder that a company much bigger than AEW that had bottomless pockets, but is now defunct as it was bought out by the current-leaders in the wrestling world, is not exactly something you'd think you'd want fans to associate with AEW. :rolleyes:

Cody Rhodes, Jericho, Jim Ross, etc. all seem to be generally intelligent, sensible people. I don't know why they don't steer as far away from associating themselves with 'ye olden days' as possible. They're supposed to be a fresh, dynamic, new company. Digging up old names that WWE forgot to even bother keeping a trademark on seems like a dreadful idea to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Why are they using a PPV name from WCW?

A reminder that a company much bigger than AEW that had bottomless pockets, but is now defunct as it was bought out by the current-leaders in the wrestling world, is not exactly something you'd think you'd want fans to associate with AEW. :rolleyes:

Cody Rhodes, Jericho, Jim Ross, etc. all seem to be generally intelligent, sensible people. I don't know why they don't steer as far away from associating themselves with 'ye olden days' as possible. They're supposed to be a fresh, dynamic, new company. Digging up old names that WWE forgot to even bother keeping a trademark on seems like a dreadful idea to me.

Nostalgia in wrestling is massive. You yourself were in another thread talking about wrestling figures of days gone, after watching a show about wrestling figures ( I myself collect and enjoyed that show immensely). The games, he'll the network, based around wrestling fans, love for old wrestling.

They can have a old relatable name and still create something new with it, unique and special with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

The names Cody has gotten the trademarks to are Dusty's creations, so there's that aspect too.

Excalibur is so god awful, they need to axe him.

Just roars out move names like a total mark.

Any time he has to actually contribute to the story telling he can barely put a sentence together.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What a match that was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Excalibur is so god awful, they need to axe him.

Just roars out move names like a total mark.

Any time he has to actually contribute to the story telling he can barely put a sentence together.

What a remarkably bad take.

He's one of the best in the business at the moment.

I liked that Dark Order Vignette

Jericho and SCU are gold.

The tease of Luchasaurus and Hager is great.

Luchasaurus just makes me happy.

Tonight is the best I've heard JR in probably decades.

Great main event too.

Allin has IT however By God he will kill himself in the ring.

It was a great match; at no point did you really think the 170lb guy had any chance of winning, but he still got over. Comms did a great job in that regard, selling his courage, endurance, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Watching the show now. Jericho walking backstage, stops at the librarian reading dinosaur books. He says how bad dinosaurs are and that they suck, what foreshadowing.

• Advertisement

Hope they put that segment online, it was mostly playing in the background for me during a commercial

Advertisement