Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

I thought that AEW did a really poor job of disguising all of those empty seats in the audience on this week's Dynamite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I love AEW so far but the main gripes I have are yes there's too much wrestling on the show and they seem to have important storyline advancements on BTE and Twitter of all places. The MJF promo this week being a glaring example.

I love the fact that the mid-card has some personality and a little bit of story. I would definitely love some more angles and backstage stuff - the inner circle attack on Dustin for example was great. The new Dark order stuff has a bunch of potential too so interested to see where it's headed.

There's some slight overlap in gimmicks too which is a bit annoying and it's funny I'm saying this as I'm pretty much one too - but there's too many "goth" characters :pac: Jimmy, BBB, Darby, even Brandi - shouldn't have too many dark characters in a 2 hour weekly show.

JR sounds so exhausted. He's really struggling to keep up the pretence that's he's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

I love AEW so far but the main gripes I have are yes there's too much wrestling on the show and they seem to have important storyline advancements on BTE and Twitter of all places.
    This.
    I don't watch Dark, I don't watch BTE. There's too much to watch and it seems storylines are developing all over the place. Like apparently Hangman Page left the Elite, which I had no idea about and it happened on Being the Elite. If they want to tell any sort of consistent story it should be developing on their primary programme.
    The less said about them doing a women's angle in Picture in Picture the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ThePott wrote: »
    This.
    I don't watch Dark, I don't watch BTE. There's too much to watch and it seems storylines are developing all over the place. Like apparently Hangman Page left the Elite, which I had no idea about and it happened on Being the Elite. If they want to tell any sort of consistent story it should be developing on their primary programme.
    The less said about them doing a women's angle in Picture in Picture the better.

Page left the elite well that’s new information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is/was "The Elite" even a thing on the TV side of things though? Like did they ever do a promo to establish themselves, or even a vignette? I reckon it's really more canon for the Internet fans, while on the TV side of things they seem to be fairly consistently booking Page and Cody as singles guys, and even Kenny had his thing with Moxley that was largely independent of all things Elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Is/was "The Elite" even a thing on the TV side of things though? Like did they ever do a promo to establish themselves, or even a vignette? I reckon it's really more canon for the Internet fans, while on the TV side of things they seem to be fairly consistently booking Page and Cody as singles guys, and even Kenny had his thing with Moxley that was largely independent of all things Elite.
    Commentary referenced Page leaving the Elite so I'm pretty sure it is TV Canon.

Plus the Bucks and Page were there during the Mox Omega spot into the table of barbed wire at Full Gear.

It's definitely an established thing but they seem to be slowly disbanding them. Even Cody said in his promo this week that his friends seemed to be busy doing their own thing now.

Hopefully they put the kibosh on the Elite stuff on YT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I think Dynamite just needs a perfect balance between in ring action and segments. You don't have to give us barn burner matches every single week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Put this on for first time this morning. Really good quality. Great production. Great matches and characters.

Will Vince buy it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

BDI wrote: »
    Put this on for first time this morning. Really good quality. Great production. Great matches and characters.

Will Vince buy it out?

He didn't manage it with TNA and these are likely in a better position, but only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

He didn't manage it with TNA and these are likely in a better position, but only time will tell.

I dont think Tony Khan is selling.

No need to buy them out yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What would he buy it for?

They have 9 weeks of TV tapings and 3/4 PPV's even if it went out of businesses tomorrow it offers Vince nothing.

What would he buy it for?

They have 9 weeks of TV tapings and 3/4 PPV's even if it went out of businesses tomorrow it offers Vince nothing.

But what about all those matches with dives to the outside, near falls, and obvious cooperation? The lack of silly angles, or any angles for that matter? Don't you know this is what a wrestling show should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

sirmanga wrote: »
    But what about all those matches with dives to the outside, near falls, and obvious cooperation? The lack of silly angles, or any angles for that matter? Don't you know this is what a wrestling show should be?

What those 6 suicide dives Seth does each match no need for buying AEW when he has Seth for that.

What those 6 suicide dives Seth does each match no need for buying AEW when he has Seth for that.

Exactly. WWE have the exact same match style as AEW. And AEW is nothing but matches. So AEW literally has nothing different to offer audiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

BDI wrote: »

Will Vince buy it out?

Shahid Khan is the owner, and he's substantially richer than Vince, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I wonder have they copyrighted Monday Night Dynamite?

Not long left in the football season and the one show that WWE can't move is RAW, it is the biggest show but also consistently the worst show they put on all week.

I wonder how many NXT viewers they would pull in if they did. There are about 1.8m viewers for both on Wednesday night, if even 50% of those NXT viewers picked AEW over Raw it could make things interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Its still real to me godammmnittttt

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I wonder have they copyrighted Monday Night Dynamite?

Not long left in the football season and the one show that WWE can't move is RAW, it is the biggest show but also consistently the worst show they put on all week.

I wonder how many NXT viewers they would pull in if they did. There are about 1.8m viewers for both on Wednesday night, if even 50% of those NXT viewers picked AEW over Raw it could make things interesting...

Tony Khan has stated he would never run Mondays because of his fathers ownership of the Jags in the NFL, which plays Mondays. They'd have two properties running opposite one another.

Monokne wrote: »
    Tony Khan has stated he would never run Mondays because of his fathers ownership of the Jags in the NFL, which plays Mondays. They'd have two properties running opposite one another.

If he cared that much about his father he wouldn't be running a self indulgent wrestling show that has bled viewers since its first episode.
    Also, not every NFL team play on a Monday night. I think each might only play one Monday per season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Seeing Scorpio Sky wrestle what are basically lower end talent on Dark after his mini program with Jericho is such a waste. Same happened to Darby. Whats the point in giving these guys a rub to not follow up. I know they cant push everyone all at once, but its like they need to capatisle better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Seeing Scorpio Sky wrestle what are basically lower end talent on Dark after his mini program with Jericho is such a waste. Same happened to Darby. Whats the point in giving these guys a rub to not follow up. I know they cant push everyone all at once, but its like they need to capatisle better.

Why does the followup need to be immediate? Are they ready to be top guys yet?

Both Allin and Sky lost. In any other combat sport scenario they'd take a step or two down the ladder and work their way back up to the top. Only next time they get pushed, they'll have more legitimacy given they previously hung with the champ. Hopefully they'll also develop their promos and be more over / have more heat by then.

Isn't this a pretty standard booking approach?

If he cared that much about his father he wouldn't be running a self indulgent wrestling show that has bled viewers since its first episode.
    Also, not every NFL team play on a Monday night. I think each might only play one Monday per season.

Genuine question - if you won 5 million euro on the lotto, the first thing you'd do is complain you didn't win 10, isn't it? :D Your capacity to be negative about quite literally everything is astonishing, fair play for the consistency. ;)

I agree though. F*ck Tony Khan for trying to capitalise on the live sports rights boom by creating an alternative product in an industry DESPERATELY in need of competition.

What he has done with his self indulgent actions is bring not one but two interesting and entertaining live 2 hour wrestling shows to Wednesday nights, creating hours of entertainment for audiences, leverage and opportunity for performers, and beaten industry projections for ratings giving himself & his Dad the opportunity to have a successful business and make money.

It boils my blood. I'm with you.

Now go on, spin all the above negatively :cool:

Genuine question - if you won 5 million euro on the lotto, the first thing you'd do is complain you didn't win 10, isn't it? :D Your capacity to be negative about quite literally everything is astonishing, fair play for the consistency. ;)

I agree though. F*ck Tony Khan for trying to capitalise on the live sports rights boom by creating an alternative product in an industry DESPERATELY in need of competition.

What he has done with his self indulgent actions is bring not one but two interesting and entertaining live 2 hour wrestling shows to Wednesday nights, creating hours of entertainment for audiences, leverage and opportunity for performers, and beaten industry projections for ratings giving himself & his Dad the opportunity to have a successful business and make money.

It boils my blood. I'm with you.

Now go on, spin all the above negatively :cool:

I don't know where to begin. I'll simply point you towards the sinking ratings and the vast amounts of empty seats every week on TV.
    Great for the business. It's truly another golden age of wrestling.

I don't know where to begin. I'll simply point you towards the sinking ratings and the vast amounts of empty seats every week on TV.
    Great for the business. It's truly another golden age of wrestling.

WWE books 20,000 seat buildings. They average 4800 people in the building. They lost $3.5 million last quarter on house shows. They are also going to make about $200 million in profit this year. You know why? Because it's a TV industry, that's where the money is made in 2019.

The industry projections were 500-600k. They were always going to start high with the novelty and drop, the key is holding where they are now, maybe growing a little. If someone had told me a year ago that a start up promotion would be putting 5,000 people in the building for TV every week, I wouldn't have believed it. TNA never came close. ROH neither. AEW has greatly overachieved thus far.

No-one said it's a golden age of wrestling. You are making an argument against a point I didn't make because you know you don't have any counters to what I did say.

But look, it's all terrible and negative, I get it.

Genuine question - if you won 5 million euro on the lotto, the first thing you'd do is complain you didn't win 10, isn't it? :D

No I wouldn't. Although if I won 850,000 I'd complain that I didn't win 1.4 million. Especially if I won 1.4 million ten weeks ago.

Hahahahaah, I knew you would!!! :D

WWE books 20,000 seat buildings. They average 4800 people in the building. They lost $3.5 million last quarter on house shows. They are also going to make about $200 million in profit this year.

WWE can afford to make the mistakes that WWE makes. AEW cannot afford to make the mistakes that WWE makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

In 10 weeks Tony has shown that he is an infinitely better booker than Vince is.

• Advertisement

In 10 weeks Tony has shown that he is an infinitely better booker than Vince is.

I'm sorry but that is simply wrong. Outrageously wrong. I hope it's sarcasm.

Advertisement