Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

sirmanga wrote: »
    WWE can afford to make the mistakes that WWE makes. AEW cannot afford to make the mistakes that WWE makes.

AEW is going to lose money for the duration of this TV deal with the idea that they can make money on the next one. That is literally the long and short of it. That's the business model. This business was not set up with the idea it would make money this year, or even next year.

It's the exact same business model as the new XFL with 1/10th the losses and 1/10th the potential revenue.

Its failure or success depends entirely on the deal they do when this one is up. You don't know what that is and neither do I. So spinning them as a business failure - or as a business success - is stupid and shortsighted in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

The Khans may be wealthier than Vince but that really doesn't matter.
    At the risk of sounding like David Brent, the money backing a business is overrated. It really is about the personnel. WWE have TV people running their shows. People who know how to make a wrestling show. They have a long history with an established brand. AEW means absolutely nothing to the regular person. Would AEW be able to get kind of money WWE does for TV rights? No chance.

Remember, the Carter family were richer than Vince, but TNA never got out of the starting block. Vince could run WWE in his sleep (and sometimes it feels like he does) and he would still be more successful than AEW ever will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I'm sorry but that is simply wrong. Outrageously wrong. I hope it's sarcasm.

Have you seen Vince's booking the last 10 weeks?

It's embarrassing.

Have you seen Vince's booking the last 10 weeks?

It's embarrassing.

Have you seen Tony Khan's booking in the last 10 weeks? It's nonexistent.

WWE is bad at the moment. But I'd rather watch something bad than something boring, which is what AEW is. At least feeling embarrassed or perplexed evokes some emotion. AEW is just a giant slog. I really wish it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Well that's your opinion I suppose.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The Khans may be wealthier than Vince but that really doesn't matter.
    At the risk of sounding like David Brent, the money backing a business is overrated. It really is about the personnel. WWE have TV people running their shows. People who know how to make a wrestling show. They have a long history with an established brand. AEW means absolutely nothing to the regular person. Would AEW be able to get kind of money WWE does for TV rights? No chance.

Remember, the Carter family were richer than Vince, but TNA never got out of the starting block. Vince could run WWE in his sleep (and sometimes it feels like he does) and he would still be more successful than AEW ever will.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Well that's your opinion I suppose.

Thank you for dealing with the conversation this way! There's nothing for you in this convo, move on, good stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

WWE is bad at the moment. But I'd rather watch something bad than something boring, which is what AEW is. At least feeling embarrassed or perplexed evokes some emotion. AEW is just a giant slog. I really wish it wasn't.

So you watch one program that makes you feel embarrassed, another that just makes you complain about it.. it might be time to get a new hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

For those who don't follow the weekly Being The Elite YouTube series, i'll spoiler tag just in case, they
    referenced the ratings in recent weeks in a mock race between Matt and Nick with Nick speeding ahead and Matt collapsing, which leads to a Kenny pep talk to Matt saying It's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Pretty shocked that people find AEW boring. It's a bit uneven perhaps and could do with a touch more star power but if you enjoy wrestling and long term storytelling I don't think you would say it's boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Yeah, I think the last 2 Dynamite's have had major issues but boring is absolutely not the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Monokne wrote: »
    Yeah, I think the last 2 Dynamite's have had major issues but boring is absolutely not the term.

Boring isnt the word, while the shine has started to come off a bit, its nothing the next show cant fix.

Its still entertaining. NXT suffered a bit post war games too.

Im still happy with watching both. Hell even Raw is having some positives the last few weeks with Seth/AOP/Owens, Aj and Rey, Randy Orton and Drew, Buddy and Black. Still loads of problems.

Its a great time to be a fan. Rooting for AEW despite their setbacks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Dare I say some people are somewhat conditioned by WWE booking angles over a month at most (sometimes less), and getting a little blue-balled when a story looks to be developing at a slower pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

You wouldn't be offbase b/c sometimes the execution on the little details seem not make sense immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Dare I say some people are somewhat conditioned by WWE booking angles over a month at most (sometimes less), and getting a little blue-balled when a story looks to be developing at a slower pace?

Agree 100%, for a lot of wrestling fans WWE is the only product they watch or have seen so they are conditioned to watch and enjoy wrestling through a WWE lens.

Like when Cody and Allin went to a draw people were like oh what a BS finish, no it's a perfectly acceptable pro-wrestling finish, not BS because it's not a crutch WWE leans heavily on. Personally find it a refreshing change of pace, not every single thing has to be followed up instantly.

We as wrestling fans, just need to re-learn how to appreciate slow burning story lines again.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    For those who don't follow the weekly Being The Elite YouTube series, i'll spoiler tag just in case, they
    referenced the ratings in recent weeks in a mock race between Matt and Nick with Nick speeding ahead and Matt collapsing, which leads to a Kenny pep talk to Matt saying It's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Also
    the unidentified hand taking the Dark Order's contact tab; I guess they'll continue to develop Dynamite canon on BTE, which is not ideal. Unless they start showing clips on Dynamite as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Neil3030 wrote: »

Id agree that Im defo somewhat conditioned by WWE. Its the brand that I grew up on and Im sure the company which we all have watched that introduced us to Wresting.

But Its definitely been one of my huge criticism of WWE. Its very rare they have a feud that lasts over a month and if one does its rare that it done well.

That said the first obvious long term booking angle they have done, MJF and Cody, Ive loved btw. Regarding their long term booking its unfair to judge AEW soley on the last 10 weeks. Lets look back in 6 months or a year.

Big Swole has something. They really need to show that vignette from Dark on the TV show, it's great.

• Advertisement

New PPV in February.

79325291_484056692245783_1404534600205598720_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ohc=Je_y_I1GuI8AQm3rg26aukwRBA93jtgtPmhkpiiPiorMlthJHIfaMJV3w&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=5498c98420263b9e609b6f1c48c1e463&oe=5E7BBA41

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

What an excellent episode of Dynamite. Enjoyed every angle (well, Brandi Rhodes one being the exception) and match. Another PPV to build to too.

Wonder how much longer they will wait to introduce a midcard title.

So I would say Revolution will have;

Dustin Rhodes v Jake Hager
    Cody v MJF
    Jericho v Moxley

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

JR also owning up to not knowing names and getting them mixed fair play to him and that he will work on it. To be fair he has been out of the game for so long it should be expected that he doesn't know everything.

Tony still a master on commentary though even after been away for so long as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Another great episode of Dynamite. Loved the Texas Street Fight, the Butcher and the Blade looked really good in their in-ring TV debut and as said above Big Swole brought her impressive Dark performances to the bigger stage.

MJF knocked that promo out of the park and subtle little layers being added into the Page/Omega partnership, possibly leading to a Hangman heel turn somewhere down the line?

Next week should be great too, Jericho/Jungle Boy, SCU/Bucks & Omega & Page/Luchas, lovely.

JR on his own is rusty (see the match this week between Luchasaurus and Sammy G). (John)
    Excalibur on his own is terrible (see any episode of Dark). (Mary)

But Tony Schiavone glues it all together and gets the best out of both. (Fr Ted)

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For anyone looking to gain new strength and become part of something
    https://www.joindarkorder.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AEW 778K

NXT 778K

A Draw.

The over 50's are really keeping NXT in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

AEW 778K

NXT 778K

A Draw.

The over 50's are really keeping NXT in this.

Just gotta wait for them to die out now and AEW will be flying :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Have to laugh at the OAPs vs young cool kids narrative being pushed.

I'm sure I read most of AEW's viewers are in their 40's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This isn't a dig, but I'm just curious are they still saying all their shows are sold out?
    When it was showing Cody and showing the side of the venue opposite the hard camera view, it looked to have a lot of empty seats.

Advertisement