Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Next weeks Dark has a really cool guest commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

CastorTroy wrote: »
    This isn't a dig, but I'm just curious are they still saying all their shows are sold out?
    When it was showing Cody and showing the side of the venue opposite the hard camera view, it looked to have a lot of empty seats.

They haven't said a show was sold out that wasn't, have they?

They are unlikely to sell out often so long as they are running the major arenas. If WWE can't, then neither can AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

J. Marston wrote: »
    Have to laugh at the OAPs vs young cool kids narrative being pushed.

I'm sure I read most of AEW's viewers are in their 40's.

Yeah and it's not like that people over 50 don't have kids, grandkids etc. How are these demographics even measured, do they go by the person who owns the house or whose name is on the cable bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I don't understand why people get caught up in all the ratings crap. Who cares? Watch the show if you enjoy it. No point arguing back and forth over numbers that only really matter to the people making an income from this stuff.

With the network, Youtube, Fite etc, it's an incredibly outdated methodology that doesn't account for modern behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

I don't understand why people get caught up in all the ratings crap. Who cares? Watch the show if you enjoy it. No point arguing back and forth over numbers that only really matter to the people making an income from this stuff.

With the network, Youtube, Fite etc, it's an incredibly outdated methodology that doesn't account for modern behaviour.

If anything I'm more interested in attendance numbers since that's traditionally what the wrestling business is about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

J. Marston wrote: »
    Have to laugh at the OAPs vs young cool kids narrative being pushed.

I'm sure I read most of AEW's viewers are in their 40's.

If I take Love Island as an example, I'm sure most of their audience is under 30 and it's the biggest load of bollox I've ever seen....and I'm only 32! I don't know what Bryan and Meltzer are trying to pull by continually banging on about how the younger audience watches AEW, but that is in no way a validation or indication it's the better show.

All it indicates is that wrestling really does appeal to all ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

AEW 778K

NXT 778K

A Draw.

The over 50's are really keeping NXT in this.

https://twitter.com/iamjohnpollock/status/1205236301257158671?s=21

Not really it’s tight there now too

Pollock took the wrong demo numbers from the wrong demo he is using the 18 to 49 numbers and saying it is 18 to 34.

Over 50's

AEW 0.29

NXT 0.38

18 to 49

AEW 0.28

NXT 0.24

18 to 34

AEW 0.18

NXT 0.14

The one demo that NXT dominates is the over 50's.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-wednesday-cable-originals-network-finals-12-11-2019.html

The story in the ratings is, sadly, the same as Raw & Smackdown basically:

Neither AEW or NXT is hitting with younger people, and both are slowly losing viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Wonder what kind of deal AEW has with TNT?is it public? If this was any other TV show in a prime time slot, having lost about half its audience since episode 1, then it would be cancelled after the first season and/or be moved to a graveyard slot.
    I think wrestling is different somehow, though. TV companies, TNT in this case, probably look at wrestling/AEW as more weekly sports content rather than a new TV series. Come to think of it, you don't really hear of wrestling shows being cancelled. They usually have to find a new station at the end of a contract, like Impact, but off the top of my head I can't think of a company who were cancelled outright during their run, apart from WCW but that was kind of different.

I don't think AEW needs to fear getting cancelled, but these numbers do not put them in a good position when negotiating TV deals abroad and when the TNT deal comes up for renewal.

• Advertisement

The AEW Revolution event has a very TNA/GFW looking poster. Moreover, the PPV name itself sounds so generic and very Jarretty. Say what you want about AEW, but they have come up with very original sounding PPV names, until now of course.

The Wrap had a piece stating TNT was paying production costs in full, and they were splitting advertising revenue & that the forecasts for viewership out of the gate at that time were 550-600k live with the hope they could grow it from there.

I would think that they would need to be hitting 850k-1m regularly to substantially increase that deal in todays TV market, but it's such an evolving business that predicting is a fools game, plus we don't know when the deal is up. (Personally imagine 2 years would have made sense for everyone?)

WWE's ratings have tanked over the last 5 years but they are being paid way more now than they were 5 years ago because live viewership has become more & more the holy grail in TV. If that trend continues, then AEW could be in the money.

If I were Tony Khan I would also be working out how to get some of that sweet sweet DAZN money. Bellator have an $30 million annual deal for like 10 specials with them. Bellator is averaging 250-300k viewers on Paramount. I know wrestling fans are valued way lower than MMA ones but with nearly 3 times the viewership and a niche audience that DAZN isn't serving, I think that could be a key revenue driver & there is a deal there to be done.

sirmanga wrote: »
    The AEW Revolution event has a very TNA looking poster. Moreover, the PPV name itself sounds so generic and very Jarretty. Say what you want about AEW, but they have come up with very original sounding PPV names, until now of course.

I heard this criticism from others and it sort of confuses me.

Full Gear and All Out...what do they even mean? Especially full gear. My 6 year old could do better than FULL GEAR.

I'm not blown away by Revolution but it's simple and inoffensive.

Monokne wrote: »

Full Gear and All Out...what do they even mean? Especially full gear. My 6 year old could do better than FULL GEAR.

I suppose. I didn't like their other PPV names really, but they were original. Something about "Revolution" makes me wince. It reminds me of when a late sequel in a movie franchise gets the sub-title "legacy" or "origins". Cripplingly naff and unoriginal.
    It's like no thought has gone into the name of the PPV, especially when you compare it to the ones that came before.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think the "All Out" was named as such due to one or both of Going "All Out" and the fact the previous year's PPV that pretty much started it all was called "All In"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I just checked the card for NJPW's Tokyo Dome show. I'll spoiler this just in case:
    Both Moxley (night 1, vs Lance Archer) and Jericho (night 2, vs Tanahashi) will be on the card; I wonder if this might be keeping the door open for potential AEW / NJPW collaborations down the road... imagine a build to a ppv match in the US between Omega and Okada!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

So much for Tony Khan's promise of no hidden cameras. The Dark Order stuff sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I just checked the card for NJPW's Tokyo Dome show. I'll spoiler this just in case:
    Both Moxley (night 1, vs Lance Archer) and Jericho (night 2, vs Tanahashi) will be on the card; I wonder if this might be keeping the door open for potential AEW / NJPW collaborations down the road... imagine a build to a ppv match in the US between Omega and Okada!

Could be wrong but pretty sure they just negotiated their own deals allowing them to do that and it's not the two companies working together.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Ali Bomaye wrote: »
    Could be wrong but pretty sure they just negotiated their own deals allowing them to do that and it's not the two companies working together.

NJPW's President & CEO did hint at it in an interview recently enough though.

If Jericho does the honours for Tanahashi while he is AEW champion, that's a really bad look I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Only getting around to watching Dynamite. An excellent show.

Jericho and Moxley going down the slow burner route is a good play. Basic and simple angle done masterfully. Jericho when not trying to be funny, is so captivating on the mic. His promo was top notch.

The MJF promo was just as good. Love this guy. Witty, arrogant, great delivery and cocky as hell. Love this slow burner feud with Cody. Hes must see every time hed on the mic. Very similar to The Miz. Naturally gifted speaker but lacking somewhat on ring.

The main event tag match was almost perfect. Great timing, had a big fight feel and didnt drag on. I wish the tag match with SCU wasnt so soon though. The match needs more heat. All 4 men looked great though.

First time seeing BBB in action snd they were decent enough the match was sloppy at times but overall it was a fine TV match. I fear for Darby Allan after coming out in the end. He needs his own program rather than small 2 week feuds with Jericho, Mox and now potentially Cody.

Swole looked good in ring, early days but looked impressive.

Omega and Hangman teasing something is interesting. Omegas great to watch in ring but his charcater needs some freshing up. Same for hangman. I wouldnt be against these feuding.

Hated Janela tying up Tully. It looked so cartoony.

Luchasaurus vs Sammy was good but slow moving at time. With Mox vs Jericho the main feud and still being showcased ive no problem with Jungle Boy being the sidefeud. Loved the pin on Jericho at the end great touch.

Overall a great episode. 2 great promos 1 top drawer match some decent tv matches. Happy out

If Jericho does the honours for Tanahashi while he is AEW champion, that's a really bad look I think.

I agree, terrible decision.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think the "All Out" was named as such due to one or both of Going "All Out" and the fact the previous year's PPV that pretty much started it all was called "All In"

Revolution is fine. It could be worse. Breakdown, Fastlane, Battleground, Crown Jewel, Sin, Greed, The Bash, so many poor names by all companies over the years.

Exactly. Revolution is inoffensive.

Also, you forgot GREAT BALLS OF FIRE.

The picture in Picture ad break bit by Jericho was brilliant.

Another top class show by AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Even looking at twitter talk, I can see nothing but an NXT win this week. with them recording a show for xmas day AEW could possibly fall further behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Even looking at twitter talk, I can see nothing but an NXT win this week. with them recording a show for xmas day AEW could possibly fall further behind!

Was wondering if the E would seize the opportunity. No rest for the wicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Revolution is fine. It could be worse. Breakdown, Fastlane, Battleground, Crown Jewel, Sin, Greed, The Bash, so many poor names by all companies over the years.

I thought Sin and Greed were both very fitting of the time.

It was a Sin that they let Greed and Complacency destroy the company.

Especially before the Complacency PPV got to happen.

This week felt like a real tipping point for AEW.

The audience they are after are craving two things - new stars, and a WWE alternative.

That main event angle was exactly the type of garbage that has driven fans away from WWE for years. I cannot fathom why they think this stuff is a good idea. It's like 2008 Impact. The silence of the crowd spoke volumes. It was bad in and of itself but the fact the Dark Order got over on all the big stars of the promotions made it worse and brings me to my second point.

When Dynamite started, you had 4 clear babyface stars above everyone else in Omega, the Bucks and Cody. I don't think Cody has been irreparably damaged, but Omega & the Young Bucks have been in such a rush to make others stars that they have forgotten to get themselves over. They feel less important and less special now by a mile than they did when the promotion began.

Meanwhile, NXT is giving viewers EXACTLY the things AEW promised - serious wrestling, logical storylines, & matches with stakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Last night's episode of Dynamite was not their strongest, that's for sure.

This Dark Order thing is being pushed so strongly, you have to imagine that either one of the Elite (including Marty) is behind the whole thing. Page is clearly being set up as the teaser, but I feel that a swerve may be in the works. Maybe Omega? His personality is so niche, this cultish faction could be a great way to get him over as a top heel.

Advertisement