Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I mean to put it simply there's no reason why BOTH Cody and Omega should be shying away from that top spot. Meltzer hit the nail on the head by saying you'd almost need a Hogan in there, calling the shots and putting himself before others as he is the star.

Would smarks really have given a **** if these guys rightfully put themselves front and centre? Because that's who it feels like they're afraid of booking the way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm someone who only watched the occasional NJPW event. Omega looked great in those events and also looked big compared to a lot of the others. Now he's beaten regularly enough and fighting really frequently and doesn't seem to have the same presence in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'm someone who only watched the occasional NJPW event. Omega looked great in those events and also looked big compared to a lot of the others. Now he's beaten regularly enough and fighting really frequently and doesn't seem to have the same presence in the ring.

He also doesn't have Okada, Ibushi, Naito etc. to dance with.

Plus as a largely silent gaijin heel, we didn't get to know him too well... which was a good thing, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Maybe someone who watches AEW and follows it more than me can answer this. MJF according to Brandi Rhodes is off the media list for AEW interviews and the like. Now whenever I read stuff like this nowadays I do think it’s a work until proven outer wise. But I follow MJF on Twitter and he never seems to be “out of character” and he’s a brilliant heel and a star in the making.

My question is has he said something on AEW TV or some interview that crossed a line ? I could easily see how a non wrestling fan could take what he says to heart and he doesn’t hold back.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Maybe someone who watches AEW and follows it more than me can answer this. MJF according to Brandi Rhodes is off the media list for AEW interviews and the like. Now whenever I read stuff like this nowadays I do think it’s a work until proven outer wise. But I follow MJF on Twitter and he never seems to be “out of character” and he’s a brilliant heel and a star in the making.

My question is has he said something on AEW TV or some interview that crossed a line ? I could easily see how a non wrestling fan could take what he says to heart and he doesn’t hold back.

I presumed that came after he insulted Cody's lisp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I presumed that came after he insulted Cody's lisp?

Fair enough. As I say I watch nxt more than I watch AEW. I've seen bits of it but not everything that's happened. So it's a work then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Monokne wrote: »
    This week felt like a real tipping point for AEW.

The audience they are after are craving two things - new stars, and a WWE alternative.

That main event angle was exactly the type of garbage that has driven fans away from WWE for years. I cannot fathom why they think this stuff is a good idea. It's like 2008 Impact. The silence of the crowd spoke volumes. It was bad in and of itself but the fact the Dark Order got over on all the big stars of the promotions made it worse and brings me to my second point.

When Dynamite started, you had 4 clear babyface stars above everyone else in Omega, the Bucks and Cody. I don't think Cody has been irreparably damaged, but Omega & the Young Bucks have been in such a rush to make others stars that they have forgotten to get themselves over. They feel less important and less special now by a mile than they did when the promotion began.

Meanwhile, NXT is giving viewers EXACTLY the things AEW promised - serious wrestling, logical storylines, & matches with stakes.

This was oddly prescient given the numbers a couple hours later:

AEW - 683k, 0.24 in 18-49's.
    NXT - 795k, 0.27 in 18-49's.

First time NXT has won that demo. Really feels like the momentum has shifted.

Monokne wrote: »
    This was oddly prescient given the numbers a couple hours later:

AEW - 683k, 0.24 in 18-49's.
    NXT - 795k, 0.27 in 18-49's.

First time NXT has won that demo. Really feels like the momentum has shifted.

As long as NXT can keep putting matches like Balor and Cole on TV, without killing intrigue, they'll win on a week-by-week basis.

The question is, can they do that?

NXT doesn't have anyone performing with their hands in their pockets.

Tends to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Neil3030 wrote: »
    As long as NXT can keep putting matches like Balor and Cole on TV, without killing intrigue, they'll win on a week-by-week basis.

The question is, can they do that?

That NXT was built as a Takeover level show, so they won't be doing it every week. It should have won by a much bigger margin really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

At least nobody was wrestling with their hands in their pockets.
    Which is still not as ridiculous as a fella 'wrestling' with his hands in his pockets.
    NXT doesn't have anyone performing with their hands in their pockets.

Tends to help.

that gimmick must really bug you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Honestly, I don't think would watch Dynamite without Chris Jericho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

According to his Twitter, Cody thinks the new Star Wars abomination is a "great movie".

The state of AEW's creative now makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

All the yanks eat up Abrams output. Wouldn't hold it against him being a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

sirmanga wrote: »
    According to his Twitter, Cody thinks the new Star Wars abomination is a "great movie".

The state of AEW's creative now makes sense.

Confusing Cody's love for Star Wars and using it as a stick to beat AEW creative with, it's a bit of a stretch to be honest..

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Confusing Cody's love for Star Wars and using it as a stick to beat AEW creative with, it's a bit of a stretch to be honest..

Yeah, I don't think I was being fair. This new Star Wars was like it was written by someone on speed. Things being done and undone and stuff happening for no reason and without explanation.
    However, at least there was something actually happening in it. Unlike AEW Dynamite.

Yeah, I don't think I was being fair. This new Star Wars was like it was written by someone on speed. Things being done and undone and stuff happening for no reason and without explanation.
    However, at least there was something actually happening in it. Unlike AEW Dynamite.

The script for it was written well before AEW was even a reality, and following on from The Last Jedi, so it's kind of an unfair comparison, that said it was more enjoyable than The Last Jedi anyways :pac:, but I've some minor complaints with the film.

Then again, everything has it's ups and downs, good times, bad times. Doesn't help that everything is looked at through a hyped up social media context.

Wouldn't surprise me if Cody didn't even like Star Wars. Probably just saying he does to work the nerd chic/ Hot Topic crowd that make up a big portion of the Star Wars and AEW fan bases.

Seriously though, Star Wars was rubbish. But at least there was some talking points coming out of it. Wish I could say the same for Dynamite. What a slog it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If your talking anything about the film put in spoilers! Already giving away things storyline wise ffs.

If your talking anything about the film put in spoilers! Already giving away things storyline wise ffs.

Didn't give one spoiler. Maybe I should, spare you from seeing it.

Anyway, back to AEW!.... Unfortunately

• Advertisement

Didn't give one spoiler. Maybe I should, spare you from seeing it.

Anyway, back to AEW!.... Unfortunately

How do you manage Raw if you think AEW is a "slog"?

How do you manage Raw if you think AEW is a "slog"?

Raw is absolutely crap. But at least it evokes a negative emotion. AEW is just... nothing. It doesn't even make me care enough to hate it.

Well, maybe pro wrestling is not for you

So why watch it then?

That NXT was built as a Takeover level show, so they won't be doing it every week. It should have won by a much bigger margin really.

Their biggest demo is 50+ and it went head to head with THE IMPEACHMENT OF THE PRESIDENT.

It's a strong number in the circumstances.

Raw is absolutely crap. But at least it evokes a negative emotion. AEW is just... nothing. It doesn't even make me care enough to hate it.

I know when I am picking viewing choices, I am certainly thinking "What can I watch that will really irritate me?"

:confused:

Incidentally, someone went to the trouble of tabulating AEW's week 1 - 12 decline:

P18-49 -63%
    F18-34 -63%
    M18-49 -63%
    P18-34 -71%
    F12-34 -57%
    M12-34 -62%
    P25-54 -62%
    P50+ -21%

They were ALWAYS guaranteed to have a big decline after the curiousity factor of week 1 & 2. That has to be taken as red. But the decline is precipitous. Almost three quarters of the people between 18 & 34 who watched week one are gone by week twelve.

There is a market for alternative pro wrestling. Maybe AEW will fill it one day. There's a lot to like about their show. But they are undeniably missing the mark. And that story on the whole has very little to do with NXT, either.

Well, maybe pro wrestling is not for you

I don't get this argument. I've watched wrestling my entire life. I know how good it can be. That's why I keep watching.
    Just like I haven't stopped watching Arsenal matches. God knows I'd be better off if I did. But I'm a fan.

I don't get this argument. I've watched wrestling my entire life. I know how good it can be. That's why I keep watching.
    Just like I haven't stopped watching Arsenal matches. God knows I'd be better off if I did. But I'm a fan.

Oomph that has to be torture these days..

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Oomph that has to be torture these days..

So why watch it then?

Advertisement