Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Why have punches gotten ****? I imagine it should be such an easy thing to get right as a wrestler. It must be entry-level training?

I remember when Jarrett came back for a few weeks around Mania his punches looked amazing compared to every other current main roster wrestler.

https://m.imgur.com/a/J8A2H1j

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

J. Marston wrote: »
    Why have punches gotten ****? I imagine it should be such an easy thing to get right as a wrestler. It must be entry-level training?

I remember when Jarrett came back for a few weeks around Mania his punches looked amazing compared to every other current main roster wrestler.

https://m.imgur.com/a/J8A2H1j

Lack of attention to detail would be my answer. I agree throwing a punch is up there with taking a bump. Both are kind of important.

Well Jeff Jarrett grew up wrestling and he grew up around one of the best ever punchers in wrestler who is jerry lawler. I think credit needs to go to Elias in the Jarrett clip though. With most things IMO with wrestling it takes two people or more to make it look good. I agree that Jeff Jarrett throws a good punch but if Elias didn't sell them well then it's just not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John Cena became the biggest draw in wrestling for 15 years throwing the worst non punches in history and shouting out spots that everyone in the arena and at home could hear.

John Cena became the biggest draw in wrestling for 15 years throwing the worst non punches in history and shouting out spots that everyone in the arena and at home could hear.

In hindsight John cena and that whole character and limited wrestling(whether that's by design or because he's limited I don't know) and as you say horrible punches and completely ruining matches but yelling spots he should never have gotten over like he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

So the big Christmas Day announcement was that there's a Dynamite show on in New Jersey in March?
    They should really avoid these TNA style hyperbolic tweets. I'll never forget when Dixie tweeted about an announcement that would shake the wrestling industry to its very foundation. It turned out to be that Mick Foley had bought into the company, in the storyline mind you.

God help us when AEW are teasing the announcement of a UK tour. It will be built as the second coming of Christ.

Incidentally, if AEW were to make a stop here in our fair land when they come to the UK, do others here think they could make decent dent in the Three Arena? Or would somewhere smaller have to be booked? For all their faults and the bitching I do about them, I'd definitely go and support an AEW house show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

They'll do really well the first few times, after that though, who knows?

3 Arena for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Won't be long before Vince is Heymaning Cody et Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Can’t see them doing close to anything full attendance for 3 arena. national stadium for sure

3 Arena for sure.

You really think so? AEW don't have much exposure over here. Only the hardcore fans would go to see them.

I know a lot of my friends who used to be wrestling fans during the boom periods, they've never even heard of Roman Reigns let alone AEW.
    Their only chance I think is to have Jericho front and center in all advertising, and even have JR there for an in ring segment or something. Relying on Cody and The Bucks and Omega to draw would not be smart. Those guys have seriously overestimated their own fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I can't imagine AEW in 3 arena. We did get NXT house show in 3 arena a few years ago which felt too big of an arena to host NXT.

• Advertisement

I can't imagine AEW in 3 arena. We did get NXT house show in 3 arena a few years ago which felt too big of an arena to host NXT.

Yeah, I does seem implausible. TNA got something like 2,000 in The 02 in 2009 and they were far more well known over here than AEW currently are. And they had far bigger stars.
    Having said that, that 02 show was TNA's second time in Ireland. They sold out two shows in the National Stadium earlier that year. I think if they had booked the 02 for the first time they came here they would have done very well there, though they wouldn't have sold it out. A lot of people went to the shows in the National because there was such buzz about it being the first time TNA was in Ireland.
    Would AEW generate the same interest? Not enough to pack the 3 Arena I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

3 Arena for sure.

As others have mentioned, when NXT was at its hottest, with an Irish star on top to boot, they did maybe 2,500 - 3,000 in Dublin. That is your hardcore paying fanbase.

WWE in the 3 arena is a LOT of parents bringing their kids that AEW will not do.

I am not saying it wouldn't be worth trying the 3 Arena, just that I would think if they half filled it they would be doing really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm thinking with the reset of the win lose records about to start it would now be a good time to build Omega as the man to take on Jericho for the title and to be the face of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

I agree with your logic regarding resetting the records, but I think it's really clear Cody resonates way better with the audience. He is the guy to build around. Omega is really good in the ring, but to be honest, he just comes across like a self indulgent weirdo between his interviews, BTE, entrances etc. Does not feel like I'm alone in that thought.

Yep omega is not the guy to be the face of the company for me wrestling ability he’s there but everything else isn’t there for me. Cody and Moxley much more suited for in different ways.

Do we know how involved Jericho and Dustin are behind the scenes ? I mean AEW have JR, Jericho and Dustin runnels on their team. JR Has done mostly everything in wrestling while Jericho and Dustin have nearly fifty years experience in the wrestling business so you'd hope that the younger wrestlers are actively seeking out these guys and picking their brains on wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'd love to see PAC given a run at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Monokne wrote: »
    I agree with your logic regarding resetting the records, but I think it's really clear Cody resonates way better with the audience. He is the guy to build around. Omega is really good in the ring, but to be honest, he just comes across like a self indulgent weirdo between his interviews, BTE, entrances etc. Does not feel like I'm alone in that thought.

I love Omega in ring but this description is spot on. Couldn't put it better myself.

Codys the guy to build around face wise. Yes hes sloppy in ring but capable at his best. Character wise he knows how to connect with fans and is capable of making you care about whether he wins or loses.

Mox would be my second choice. Id even put Hangman Page ahead of Omega in this conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

MJF is massively over and should be pushed to the moon to be honest.

Darby Allin should be getting more of a push as well.

Think Sammy Guevara has a massive future as well.

Not really feeling the Young Bucks so far.Just can't take to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

MJF is massively over and should be pushed to the moon to be honest.

Darby Allin should be getting more of a push as well.

Think Sammy Guevara has a massive future as well.

Not really feeling the Young Bucks so far.Just can't take to them.

I think they are doing a fine job with MJF thus far, but leaving him off TV last week was a mistake.

Sammy is also fine in his role as Jerichos man crush lackey.

Allin needs a feud. Hes bounced around short mini feuds with Jericho and Mox, now with Cody. He needs his own feud. Would love to see him vs Pac in a long program.

• Advertisement

The match records are utterly stupid. Especially that they reset them now every January. So someone could be undefeated since May and be in good standing for a title shot, but they lose one match next week and they are 0-1. So silly

Why announce the match if kris had prior commitments

https://twitter.com/aewrestling/status/1210614214945116163?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Corny not holding any punches here, if you'll pardon the expression:

Honest to God think nothing of Cornette's views now. He's just jealous of the Bucks that they are doing what he couldn't do and he hates them for it.

He's also an asshole and a complete racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Botchamania 400's outro featuring Cornette's ranting about Ibushi was the stuff of genius. I still get a kick out of listening to him but that's purely to do with how he tells his stories. The actual content I've zoned out of it.

Botchamania 400's outro featuring Cornette's ranting about Ibushi was the stuff of genius. I still get a kick out of listening to him but that's purely to do with how he tells his stories. The actual content I've zoned out of it.

Just had a look, thanks for that. Absolutely fantastic and 100% correct.

The Bohemian Rhapsody video was out of this world good too.

Honest to God think nothing of Cornette's views now. He's just jealous of the Bucks that they are doing what he couldn't do and he hates them for it.

He's also an asshole and a complete racist.

What have the young bucks done in wrestling that jim cornette hasn't ? I'm not going to whole heartedly defend cornette as while I'm a fan of his for his wrestling knowledge and the fact he recorded everything so he's not bull****ting or at least a lot some of his positions on stuff are a bit off colour for 2019.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What have the young bucks done in wrestling that jim cornette hasn't ? I'm not going to whole heartedly defend cornette as while I'm a fan of his for his wrestling knowledge and the fact he recorded everything so he's not bull****ting or at least a lot some of his positions on stuff are a bit off colour for 2019.

Started a promotion and got a national television deal. He tried but even in 93' his vision was outdated. His company went under.

Oh and don't forget, Jim had his own money mark funding him at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Cornette badly wanted AEW to succeed, and was quite clear on that. He has reviewed most episodes (bar I think one) of Dynamite to date, and I think all of their PPVs. He has given praise and credit where it's due on what they've done well (mostly MJF and Jericho, but he also loves Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy), but has not held back in the slightest on what he hates about AEW and why he thinks those qualities will lead to its demise. I too took his seething criticism with a pinch of salt at the beginning, and I also find his sense of humour and opinions to be dated and often cringey. But the more time goes on, the more I see The Bucks and Omega struggle to get over with a wider audience, the more I see them book terrible angles to get their friends into the centre stage, the more I see the divisions under their control completely flounder, the more I see Khan show what a mark he is (giving Spears a stunner...), I think it's worth considering at least some of what he's saying.

• Advertisement

His criticisms are so over the top and petty though. He doesn't take any other company to task for worse things, far worse things. His personal grudges with the Bucks and Omega are so obviously clouding his judgement that it's just painful to listen to.

It's not 1987 anymore. He needs to realise that wrestling has moved on since then. People will like who they want to like.

This is the man who thinks Kota Ibushi isn't a real wrestler and can't work.

Advertisement