Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cornettes bang on the money. Aew reeks of a smark promotion run by smarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,212 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Started a promotion and got a national television deal. He tried but even in 93' his vision was outdated. His company went under.

Oh and don't forget, Jim had his own money mark funding him at the time.

He started a territory which wasn't going to need a national TV deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Agree with a lot of what he is saying, but obviously the way he says is annoying as hell. Think all companies are struggling to find ways to get new fans, just wwe has the brand. Aew tried to brand itself as more legitimate, but then you have wins and losses being reset and those damn punches...

I really hope they find themselves a bit more because I like a lot of what they do. How they've booked jericho, they should be doing that with their bigger stars, not giving omega a spotty record at best.

Honest to God think nothing of Cornette's views now. He's just jealous of the Bucks that they are doing what he couldn't do and he hates them for it.

He's also an asshole and a complete racist.

Absolute drivel.

The fella that;

-Is one of the biggest names in the business to this day
    -Arguably the greatest manager of all time
    -Right up there with the greatest promos in history
    -Trained Lesnar, Cena, Batista
    -Managed the Midnight Express, Rock 'n' Roll Express, Vader, Owen Hart,
    Davey Boy Smith and Yokozuna
    -Has a hugely successful podcast
    -Is making a fortune selling merchandise

is jealous car boot sale Hardy Boyz? Comical.

It's 2019 and he's the biggest heel in wrestling.

Absolutely not a racist.

You whinge about Cornette letting his dislike of Bucks and Omega cloud his judgement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Making a fortune from merchandise"

Is he? Who the fùck is buying Jim Cornette t-shirts in this day and age?

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

He is though his online store. He is selling more than t shirts. He gives some of it to charity in Kentucky where he's living(and from) and some of the rare stuff he's sold he's given money to cancer charities because Denis condrey had his voice box removed due to cancer. Could he express himself better in regards to some topics ? Yes he could but in no way is he a racist as alleged by some. Even though I wish he didn't do politics rants as much as he does from what he says he's very socially liberal and not a fan of republicans in general.

Anyway this isn't a jim cornette thread so I won't drag it off topic anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

His criticisms are so over the top and petty though. He doesn't take any other company to task for worse things, far worse things. His personal grudges with the Bucks and Omega are so obviously clouding his judgement that it's just painful to listen to.

It's not 1987 anymore. He needs to realise that wrestling has moved on since then. People will like who they want to like.

This is the man who thinks Kota Ibushi isn't a real wrestler and can't work.

He just hadn't watched the product these days because he knew how awful the only show in town was. His interest in watching regular programming was only reignited with the arrival of AEW and NXT.

People can absolutely like what they like, but the market has voted with its feet on indie wrestling. It has a loyal, devoted audience that spend big, but the mainstream audience has no interest in the spot fests, comedy and massive physical bumps. Cornette was hoping AEW could serve an alternative to WWE in a manner that focused on building stars, feuds and restoring some meaning to the sport and titles. He, like many of us, have been let down by the staple guns, barb wire mattresses, silly gimmicks and terrible booking around the majority of the show. That said, anything with Cody, Jericho and MJF is usually great and he calls it so, because it's not just what has been sorely missed during WWEs Monopoly years, it's not just what he likes, it's the only thing that has a genuine shot at living with Vince.

As for Ibushi, you wrestle a blow up doll, Corny'll hate you forever. That's his deal. Like I said before, some of his opinions are dated, but Tony Khan is in for a very expensive lesson if he doesn't at least listen to some of what Cornette says.

J. Marston wrote: »

Not sure if he sells many shirts. I think burger towels are his biggest seller; a towel you keep in your car to put across your lap after you get drive thru.

Other than that it's mostly classic DVDs and scrap books for the Midnight Express.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

ricero wrote: »
    Cornettes bang on the money. Aew reeks of a smark promotion run by smarks.

"smarks"

How in the name of God are pro wrestlers like Omega, Cody and the Bucks smarks?

Is he bang on the money yeah? Hates Ibushi for wrestling a doll.

Doesn't hate Al Snow or Brian Pillman though.

Just the simple fact that he doesn't rate KOTA IBUSHI as a real wrestler shows you how out of touch he is.

Absolute drivel.

The fella that;

-Is one of the biggest names in the business to this day
    -Arguably the greatest manager of all time
    -Right up there with the greatest promos in history
    -Trained Lesnar, Cena, Batista
    -Managed the Midnight Express, Rock 'n' Roll Express, Vader, Owen Hart,
    Davey Boy Smith and Yokozuna
    -Has a hugely successful podcast
    -Is making a fortune selling merchandise

is jealous car boot sale Hardy Boyz? Comical.

It's 2019 and he's the biggest heel in wrestling.

Absolutely not a racist.

You whinge about Cornette letting his dislike of Bucks and Omega cloud his judgement...

He's a big name to the podcast wrestling bubble, like Conrad is. If he's such a huge name in the business, why isn't he employed by any promotion? Nobody will touch him as he's a liability.

Arguably, he was a good manager, 30 years ago, but nothing on Bobby Heenan.

Good promo, 30 years ago, sure.

He didn't train anyone, he's not wrestler. They came through his developmental, they were going to stars be no matter who was in charge. He gave them really ****ty gimmicks when they were with him though. Batista being born in a river for example.

Being a manager isn't real, he managed who was told to.

He also managed MANTAUR.

Making a fortune from the lucrative Midnight Express scrapbook business is he?

Car boot sale Hardy Boyz? Jesus they are a thousand times better than they were, are both millionaires, made more than Jim's "absolute fortune" on merchandise ten times over already, were offered and turned down one of the biggest deals to join to WWE ever.

Absolutely is a racist.

I liked Cornette's podcast for a long time until it became AEW hate hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Not sure if he sells many shirts. I think burger towels are his biggest seller; a towel you keep in your car to put across your lap after you get drive thru.

Other than that it's mostly classic DVDs and scrap books for the Midnight Express.

That is a very niché market to corner!

He's a big name to the podcast wrestling bubble, like Conrad is. If he's such a huge name in the business, why isn't he employed by any promotion? Nobody will touch him as he's a liability.

Arguably, he was a good manager, 30 years ago, but nothing on Bobby Heenan.

Good promo, 30 years ago, sure.

He didn't train anyone, he's not wrestler. They came through his developmental, they were going to stars be no matter who was in charge. He gave them really ****ty gimmicks when they were with him though. Batista being born in a river for example.

Being a manager isn't real, he managed who was told to.

He also managed MANTAUR.

Making a fortune from the lucrative Midnight Express scrapbook business is he?

Car boot sale Hardy Boyz? Jesus they are a thousand times better than they were, are both millionaires, made more than Jim's "absolute fortune" on merchandise ten times over already, were offered and turned down one of the biggest deals to join to WWE ever.

Absolutely is a racist.

I liked Cornette's podcast for a long time until it became AEW hate hour.

I actually lolled at this. Are you serious?

What's so funny about it?

What's so funny about it?

What’s funny about it ? Most of it. You paint Jim Cornette as if he’s the modern version of Ole Anderson. If you’d bothered your hole to listen to his reviews of AEW and nxt the last few Months you’d know he has praised both for stuff(that’s not reported of course) he’s liked and when there is stuff he likes but could be tweaked slightly he says it.

Also told to manage the midnight express ? Just stop please. If you knew anything you’d know it was a three man team and not Cornette just being thrown with the two lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

In non Jim Cornette related news, I see Jericho has responded to Tanahashi saying if he beats him at the Dome he'll give him an AEW title shot. I still think this means Jericho wins, but it would be unreal to see the Ace appear on an episode of Dynamite. Fair play to both as it's gone from a match almost forgotten about in the WK buildup to one of the most anticipated now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

In non Jim Cornette related news, I see Jericho has responded to Tanahashi saying if he beats him at the Dome he'll give him an AEW title shot. I still think this means Jericho wins, but it would be unreal to see the Ace appear on an episode of Dynamite. Fair play to both as it's gone from a match almost forgotten about in the WK buildup to one of the most anticipated now.

I wouldn't call it unreal to see them two lock up. Both are past their prime.

Id rather see both men put over younger talent at WK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it unreal to see them two lock up. Both are past their prime.

Id rather see both men put over younger talent at WK.

What younger talent not in matches would you like to see them put over instead of facing each other? In fairness Tanahashi has lost to Okada and Naito at WK, same with Jericho losing to Omega and Naito so they have both put over younger talent at the event recently. EVIL who's stuck in the LIJ multi-man might have been a good shout for a singles, but this is definitely a bigger match so I was delighted when it got added to the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Jericho was involved in the best story AEW have told in the ring so far so I'm sure him and Tanahashi are capable of doing something special.

So you'd assume if this match happens then they'll do the old NWA/WWF/AWA title unification finish. Title doesn't change hands but neither guy looks weak after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I mean it’s cool but Cody doesn’t need a manager or coach

My guess is he turns on him like all horsemen do to Rhodes eventually

https://twitter.com/codyrhodes/status/1211667283023667200?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

It's astounding that Arn is only 61. He was younger than I am now when he announced his retirement back in 1997. Insane.

sirmanga wrote: »
    It's astounding that Arn is only 61. He was younger than I am now when he announced his retirement back in 1997. Insane.

Well he looked 47 when he was born according to Arn himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,772 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Who is Ric going to come in and advise when his contract end?

The they might as well as get Barry in to advise someone as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,185 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Do you think a mid card title will be introduced in 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Who is Ric going to come in and advise when his contract end?

The they might as well as get Barry in to advise someone as well.

Can you see WWE allowing Ric to become a free agent and go over there?

Can you see Ric working for the competition bearing in mind his daughter works for Vince and how petty they can be?

He's not going anywhere.

Every second of this is magnificent. If Dynamite were just these vignettes, mixed with a few squash matches, in ring promos and half decent main events, AEW would be the hottest promotion since peak Attitude Era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Jericho was involved in the best story AEW have told in the ring so far so I'm sure him and Tanahashi are capable of doing something special.

I would argue Rhodes v Rhodes was probably the best story told in and out of the ring so far in AEW.

That was a stand out moment for me in AEW, I think Jericho' s best work in AEW has been his viral stuff Bubbley, Le Champion. The guy gets it.

Allin v Rhodes was second best. Rhodes has really stood out though and I look forward to his redemption arc to the title

Monokne wrote: »
    Can you see WWE allowing Ric to become a free agent and go over there?

Can you see Ric working for the competition bearing in mind his daughter works for Vince and how petty they can be?

He's not going anywhere.

I'd say Ric has a stiffy at the thought of how much he's going to fleece Vince of in order to keep him under the WWE umbrella.

I'm sure he'd consider AEW seriously, and he wouldn't be any loss for the E, but Vince will pay over the odds to make sure he doesn't go elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,772 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say Ric has a stiffy at the thought of how much he's going to fleece Vince of in order to keep him under the WWE umbrella.

I'm sure he'd consider AEW seriously, and he wouldn't be any loss for the E, but Vince will pay over the odds to make sure he doesn't go elsewhere.

More like everyone Ric owes money too will be delighted he might get a bump in wages from either company.

• Advertisement

I'm no Ric fan these days so believe when I say it doesn't please me to know his pockets will be lined either way.

Advertisement