Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Really good episode again, good to see them back to form after the Dark Order BS, which was kept to the bare minimum here.

The six-man tag and Allin/Cody were great, as was Mox/Trent, just the right length for a tv match. The women were really good too, apart from Baker who is brutal. Was kind of surprised to see Riho retain, I'd say Statlander beats her next week.

Good to see AEW get the decade off to a good start, now to look forward to two days of WK, not a bad week at all for a wrestling fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Show was average I thought, more miss than hit.

Cody and Allin was good.

The women's 4 way didn't achieve much, and Baker's promo afterwards on Riho was very bad. Presume Riho will retain next week and go into a programme with Baker that absolutely nobody will care about.

Mox shouldn't need that long to put away a guy like Trent, and the "I'll tell you next week" response to Jericho looked uncharacteristically stagey for his unpredictable character.

Not airing Dustin's promo before the Guevara match was a major mistake, and he really needed to dig deep to get the crowd into it.

MJF's promo was his worst yet by virtue of it just being too similar to his last one. Relied too much on slagging the crowd to a flat response.

And finally I'm totally over the multiman spot fest tags with whatever combo of the Elite, Lucha Bros, Pac, Proud and Powerful etc., so main event did nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So now the records are showing "AEW Career"?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

ENPlngBXsAEvS-_?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yeah thought this week was just okay.
    I don't entirely get what some of the stories building up to this achieved.
    Nyla Rose was suspended and now she's back, not sure what we gained from that.
    The Elite couldn't get it together. Now they all won, so. It feels like they only started making a big deal of this in the last week or two and then tonight it was a question of; Can the get the big win?
    Yeah, they did. Now what? It just seems like a very uninteresting story topped off by the fact that we don't generally see the Elite together that much in AEW anyway. I feel they should really have used Dynamite as a jump off point and reintroduce the Elite. If you know nothing about them why would you care about them losing so much or why would you care that they've now won.

Aside from that; Mox/Jericho segment was decent. The answer next week, I think a lot of these stories are clearly stalling for time cause there's such a big gap between PPVs and it shows here with Moxley and Jericho and Cody and MJF.

MJF's promo wasn't great. Just feels derivative of what he's done before. Britt Baker, Not good. Can't believe they're making her heel now and they actually made her awkwardly bring up Dentistry apropos of nothing.

Thinking this was just a sort of clean slate show so hoping that next week will be a bit better and freshen things up a bit.

• Advertisement

That alcoholic gimmick won't last long. Internet will be all over them for making light of a serious condition that affects millions, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Didn't know Taz had joined the AEW commentary team

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Neil3030 wrote: »
    That alcoholic gimmick won't last long. Internet will be all over them for making light of a serious condition that affects millions, etc.

I don't think it's a gimmick, maybe a more meta/tip of the cowboy hat (cause Page's gimmick) reference to what everyone's been doing over Christmas, along with going overboard with junk food to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

A great episode this week, and no dark order! Coincidence? nope! even Taz didn't ruin it too much

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I don't think it's a gimmick, maybe a more meta/tip of the cowboy hat (cause Page's gimmick) reference to what everyone's been doing over Christmas, along with going overboard with junk food to boot.

Nah it's very much been his thing the last few weeks on BTE too. Story is unfolding that he's hitting the bottle pretty hard, while he distances himself increasingly from the rest of the Elite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ShaneU wrote: »
    A great episode this week, and no dark order! Coincidence? nope! even Taz didn't ruin it too much

Taz is actually good on commentary but Vince shouting in your ear isn't helpful to good commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I like Janela and don't know anything about Kip Sabian but feuding on Twitter is the dirt worst

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nah it's very much been his thing the last few weeks on BTE too. Story is unfolding that he's hitting the bottle pretty hard, while he distances himself increasingly from the rest of the Elite.

Was brought up before about expecting people to be aware of what's going on with BTE.
    As annoying as WWE can be with promoting their social media, if something happens that ties into their main shows they'll show it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Thought MJF getting people to kiss his ring was hilarious during the add break split screen thing they do and really love his entrance music!

MJF needs to be on every week and definitely needs to wrestle more!

Really enjoyed this weeks show!

Thought MJF getting people to kiss his ring was hilarious during the add break split screen thing they do and really love his entrance music!

i laughed at Sammy and his signs on his one haha

trying to get the girl to hit him up on insta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

SCSA says hello.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    SCSA says hello.

As does 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

i laughed at Sammy and his signs on his one haha

trying to get the girl to hit him up on insta

Girl!? Colour me surprised, would have guessed something else.

Girl!? Colour me surprised, would have guessed something else.

a transgender non binary who identifies as a microwave?

As does 1999.

Maybe the next Austin will be a judgey woke vegan Tumblrina who's all out f**ks to give.

"I'm here to kick a55 and eat grass, and I'm all out of grass!"

Maybe not though.

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Maybe the next Austin will be a judgey woke vegan Tumblrina who's all out f**ks to give.

"I'm here to kick a55 and eat grass, and I'm all out of grass!"

Maybe not though.

I mean... let's not rule it out... but... yeah, unlikely.

I can already see online a few murmurings of discontent, e.g.:

https://twitter.com/KristenAshly/status/1212561149037821952

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

967k viewers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Why can't it be a gimmick though? This is entertainment, storylines can be anything. Billy Kidman was basically a heroine addict back in the day, constantly scratching himself, which is a side effect of opioads.

It's art , it can be anything. I really mean that, depending on the company and demographic why can't they deal with mainstream topics like addiction?

I watched knives out last night, fun movie, but that heavily leaned on the immigration and race, why can topics like this be dealt with?

JBL was beaten people at the border a few years ago, I thought it was hilarious

I mean... let's not rule it out... but... yeah, unlikely.

I can already see online a few murmurings of discontent, e.g.:

https://twitter.com/KristenAshly/status/1212561149037821952

What I mean is anyone letting online murmurings of discontent influence their storylines should be cast into 2017 and burned at the stake. You will find some princess to whinge about anything, they will take the fun out of everything if they aren't ignored. Cancel culture is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Sirsok wrote: »
    Why can't it be a gimmick though? This is entertainment, storylines can be anything. Billy Kidman was basically a heroine addict back in the day, constantly scratching himself, which is a side effect of opioads.

It's art , it can be anything. I really mean that, depending on the company and demographic why can't they deal with mainstream topics like addiction?

I watched knives out last night, fun movie, but that heavily leaned on the immigration and race, why can topics like this be dealt with?

JBL was beaten people at the border a few years ago, I thought it was hilarious

Because stuff like that doesn't play well in wrestling.

Death, miscarriages, war angles, alcoholism, drug addiction...there are certain thing that have proven to fail in wrestling. No one wants to go to an arena and watch someone pretend to miscarry a baby or pretend to be an alcoholic. These are issues that happen in every family and they just cut too close to home for the genre. I never understood people comparing it to films. If Michael Myers wanders down the aisle on Raw and slits Seth Rollins throat, would that work? It's not a film, it's not a TV show, it's not a play. It's pro wrestling. There's a long history that tells you what the audience accepts. You can put your hands over your eyes and ears and pretend there isn't, but there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Since they are the new down south they should go after the conservative bible preaching gun toting Trump voting wrestling fans.

Monokne wrote: »
    Because stuff like that doesn't play well in wrestling.

Death, miscarriages, war angles, alcoholism, drug addiction...there are certain thing that have proven to fail in wrestling. No one wants to go to an arena and watch someone pretend to miscarry a baby or pretend to be an alcoholic. These are issues that happen in every family and they just cut too close to home for the genre. I never understood people comparing it to films. If Michael Myers wanders down the aisle on Raw and slits Seth Rollins throat, would that work? It's not a film, it's not a TV show, it's not a play. It's pro wrestling. There's a long history that tells you what the audience accepts. You can put your hands over your eyes and ears and pretend there isn't, but there is.

Pro wrestling can be whatever is needs to be. It is an art form, performance art. Just like a play. Just like a tv show, they tell stories.

Your example of Michael Myers.... in today's world The Fiend is just that, yeah he is not murdering someone, but these supernatural Fantastical elements are working.

As I said depending in a company or demographic real life issues can work. Allows for redemption arcs, made Hardy and Punk have a interesting fued, addressing Hardys past. They 100% can work, if people feel something, good, you are meant to feel something. If people complain, well I guess that's the harsh reality of the world we live in. Instead of allowing stories be performed we would just wanna ban it or be outraged by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Sirsok wrote: »
    Pro wrestling can be whatever is needs to be. It is an art form, performance art. Just like a play. Just like a tv show, they tell stories.

Your example of Michael Myers.... in today's world The Fiend is just that, yeah he is not murdering someone, but these supernatural Fantastical elements are working.

As I said depending in a company or demographic real life issues can work. Allows for redemption arcs, made Hardy and Punk have a interesting fued, addressing Hardys past. They 100% can work, if people feel something, good, you are meant to feel something. If people complain, well I guess that's the harsh reality of the world we live in. Instead of allowing stories be performed we would just wanna ban it or be outraged by it.

We are arguing on different levels.

I am pointing out that none of these things - death, miscarriages, war angles, alcoholism, drug addiction - work. They don't get big crowd reactions, they don't sell tickets, they don't draw ratings, they don't create momentum.

You are saying that because pro wrestling is fiction that they can do whatever they want. That is correct.

Even the Fiend, it's a fair comment that there are horror movie aspects to that character, but the 'he can't be killed' bit which is a proper horror movie trope that they borrowed and used in Fiend's matches with Rollins resulted in the audience dying.

It's also fair to say that Hardy & Punk worked in part down to their references to Hardy's "past" and I don't object to that. Reality being brought in to storylines is mostly good. Where it doesn't work is when it's serious and unpleasant stuff and it's in the present. No-one looks back fondly on the Hawk or Scott Hall stuff in the late 90's, nor did it mean anything for business. Did you enjoy Ambrose insulting Reigns' cancer? Most didn't.

Like what you like, we all have our tastes. I'm just pointing out these things don't work to the vast majority of the audience.

Fair enough, Hawk and Hall were two topics I wanted to bring up because they were written so poorly in my opinion. Loads of stuff in history written poorly dealing with topics we discussed. Sgt. Slaughter Iraqi sympathizer, Katie Vick, Booker T never gonna be champion because of how he looks and then losing said match. Bad writting again

Ambrose saying stuff about Reigns Cancer, or Orton talking about Eddie being in hell, were horrible, shock value stuff. But in all honesty Paul bearer death in lead up to Mania 29, was done well.

If done right these elements can absolutely work, but there is a fine line in making it work, I think would make for a pretty good off shoot company, lead to intricate storylines but if done wrong can end up like the south park episode.

But gauging stuff of people complaining off twitter is wrong, as Twitter is a cesspool for attention seekers.

I think we are kind of agreeing anyway

Say on on the topic of race or immigration

Good Idea -
    JBL getting heat by being a conservative beating people up at the border

Jack Swagger, we the people

Bad Idea -

Kerwin White in general

Mexicools Gimmick

Booker T failing to win title at Mania and recording no real redemption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Since they are the new down south they should go after the conservative bible preaching gun toting Trump voting wrestling fans.

I’d say that’s most wrestling fans in America anyway

Advertisement