Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

sky88 wrote: »
    That iron mike news is out of nowhere

What is up with page miss most of the last months show is he just in a state that he can’t travel or injured

It's probably the first option with Page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

mike tyson involved with a wrestling company, thats not been done before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Gotta say if i was Tony Khan I'd be worried about their viewing figures. They seem to be dropping and dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

ricero wrote: »
    Gotta say if i was Tony Khan I'd be worried about their viewing figures. They seem to be dropping and dropping.

Not at all. Competed with a Survivor finale for the biggest season in it's history, a UFC event and the whole COVID thing meaning news shows have higher ratings than typical. There's more to numbers than just face value ;)

They've signed a deal for the next couple of years anyway so sitting pretty for now. Once the crowds are back it'll be interesting.

Television ratings always have their up and downs. I'm sure Tony Khan isn't getting everyone to panic stations yet, as mentioned in the post above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

ricero wrote: »

Why? Last couple of weeks they were trending upward and did a pretty impressive . 28 in the demo I think it was? This week's. 23 given what it had against it (and knowing it isn't live, unlike last week I think hurts it a small bit too) is far from a disaster. Your reading of the ratings is off, by and large their number has held reasonably steady throughout the pandemic, next week and then post DON should be higher but what's been most impressive is that they've maintained a pretty strong demo rating. That's what matters. It's a lazy comparison but NXT posting a. 15 in the demo this week (I think I'm right in saying that's their joint lowest ever demo rating) is the real disaster this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Both shows aren’t doing great in the ratings And drop in ratings should concern any company

I think this war has made people obsessed with the demos for Wednesday but you don’t hear much about them Fridays or mondays.

Both shows aren’t doing great in the ratings And drop in ratings should concern any company

I think this war has made people obsessed with the demos for Wednesday but you don’t hear much about them Fridays or mondays.

You actually do. No wrestling company is doing great in the ratings but some are doing worse than others in the pandemic.

Depends on who you listen to I suppose cos I hear loads about the demos for each of those shows too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Weren't RAW ratings at an all time low a few weeks ago?

Weren't RAW ratings at an all time low a few weeks ago?

Yep and should be hugely concerning for them

Wrestling ratings in general aren’t great as line said and should be a worry to both

As will they both be able to get the fans back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The charisma vacum that is Shawn Spears copying the street profits news bit from Raw was a new low

You're fake concern is quiet frankly :rolleyes:. It's professional wrestling, everyone rips off each other. Or sees something on rival shows, let's do that, but put our own twist on it.

There isn't an exclusivity clause to one particular company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

The Street Profits were very directly ripping off Weekend Update on Saturday Night Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Great to see Hangman and the Bucks back, looking forward to the Stadium Stampede match. AEW produce great video packages, the ones for Darby and PAC especially were excellent, hopefully both he and Pentagon are able to return asap.

Enjoyed Arn and Jake's segment and the Cassidy/Fenix match too, rough landing for Rey on the dive though!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,620 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

SSN was more a rip off of RNN injury updates from 13/14 years ago for me.

The AEW vignettes are top class.

Rey Fenix took a nasty landing when none of the 4 guys caught him from a springboard senton from the top rope.

https://twitter.com/GetDaTables/status/1263275266228576259?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

SSN was more a rip off of RNN injury updates from 13/14 years ago for me.

The AEW vignettes are top class.

Rey Fenix took a nasty landing when none of the 4 guys caught him from a springboard senton from the top rope.

https://twitter.com/GetDaTables/status/1263275266228576259?s=20

All 4 of them lined up straight. Any time you see these kinds of spots, the fellas getting ready to catch the performer doing the high spot kind of organise themselves into a semi circle, much better chance of success.

Could have ended much worse

That's what happens when you stack your roster with outlaw mudshow play wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It seemed Fenix was partially at fault, but yeah they should've tried to catch him.
    Prior to that Kazarian should be past the point where he's obviously looking for the spot to happen

Fenix can be a bit inconsistent with his dives. He frequently over or undercooks it.
    Britt's injury looked very scary, still havne't heard the extent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,620 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd like to see him do this drunk.

a284eb32371646f1-600x338.gif

• Advertisement

ThePott wrote: »
    Britt's injury looked very scary, still havne't heard the extent of it.

Just rewatched that and Statlander was quick to check on her and work on getting her out

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

Where do yous think about the released WWE wrestlers fitting into AEW if they sign some of them?

Where is Evil Uno? I like the Dark Order story but I wonder how far they’ll go with it

Looking forward to Double or Nothing Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

BSK wrote: »
    Where do yous think about the released WWE wrestlers fitting into AEW if they sign some of them?

Where is Evil Uno? I like the Dark Order story but I wonder how far they’ll go with it

Looking forward to Double or Nothing Saturday

The US border with Canada is closed at the moment so Uno and Stu are stuck there for now supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So, so, so many things wrong with last night, I'm really beginning to lose faith in this promotion.

Inner Circle's arrival - Why am I still seeing Alex Marvez on my TV screen? He's useless. Also, you can't get heat on an interviewer nobody cares about. Tape that segment again with Dasha or Tony and it might actually matter.

Brody Lee's promo - dire. The man is green at the top level, a complete charisma vacuum and nowhere near ready for a championship programme. That promo took years off me. I actually don't think anybody can save the Dark Order gimmick, but it certainly won't be this chap.

Moxley vs 10 - actually not too bad, and I like the angle afterwards. Moxley was actually probably the only positive on the show for me.

MJF vs Marko Stunt - completely failed. Stunt gets ragdolled by somebody new each week, and he's right back ready for more punishment a week later. So why should I care about MJF beating him up? It achieves nothing in terms of heat. And why did we only see Jungle Boy for 5 seconds at the end, doing absolutely nothing physical? How does this get their match over? I would have preferred Jungle Boy to beat someone in and around Frankie K's level, get his athleticism and speed over, then MJF to get heat on him after with a cheapshot / promo. So many ways they could have done this 100 times better.

Arn / Jake segment - Awkward; and what exactly was this supposed to achieve? Are they going to have a match? They spent more time firing shots at each other than getting Cody and Archer over. Speaking of, where exactly were Cody and Archer? Bare minimum, you'd expect them to be physically present on the go home show for their title match.

Cassidy / Phoenix - Spot fest. Some very impressive moves by both men (especially Fenix, how good is he?) but they could have done a lot more with less spots and more storytelling. It also would have made the aftermath stand out a lot more. You've just seen these two lads do every spot under the sun, then out come more lads to do every spot under the sun. Hopefully Fenix is also OK because he went ribcage first into the dirt from about 15 feet in the air.

Women's 4-way - I just don't understand this at all. We've now seen Rose and Shida do all their **** to each other, even through a table. What's left to see in their match? We also saw Baker get a fairly solid concussion from a move that also buried Rose - with her size advantage on the other ladies, it should be a really really big deal when she gets taken up into the air - double team or not. But meh, throw the spot in the middle of the match, nearly kill a woman in the process, bury your top heel's gimmick, who cares?

Are they just drawing ideas out of a hat each week for Shawn Spears and seeing what sticks? Next week we'll see him wearing a propellor beanie making innuendoes with his mother?

Main event - decent match, Sammy G overselling at times, but I like him. The brawl afterwards was.... sigh... To begin with, you have Kenny Omega, the supposedly best wrestler on earth, playing the part of Ken Shamrock's sister, i.e., the damsel in distress to draw the babyface out into the open. Buried. Like he wasn't already. You then have the Young Bucks just magically appear in the stands, so they can make a flying entrance. And then posing like gob****es at the end as the camera panned out - weren't you lads just in fight? They are such unbelievable marks for themselves I can barely stand to watch when they're on. I also really didn't like the format - way too wide a space for a single camera shot, and I can understand not wanting to have several camera crew out there in harms way. Really, the only one to look like a star in this entire, confused, frenzied, poorly shot segment, was Page.

I've been behind this promotion from the start. I used to look forward to the Dynamite shows each week. Jericho was the best thing on TV. Cody's storylines were all very carefully done. There was so much promise with the likes of Allin, Jungle Boy, MJF, etc. I'm also a big fan of NJPW, loved Omega's work there, and couldn't wait to see what he could do in the U.S.

But they need to seriously get their act together. And I'm now questioning if that's even possible. Jacksonville Jaguars... Fulham FC... not like the Khans have the midas touch...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

AEW 701,000
    NXT 592,000

Is there a reason for there being an empty slot for the not-MITB match?

All I was thinking during the Arn/Jake segment was it much be pretty cold there from the way the table cloth was blowing

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is there a reason for there being an empty slot for the not-MITB match?

All I was thinking during the Arn/Jake segment was it much be pretty cold there from the way the table cloth was blowing

One of the released wwe wrestlers debut I’d guess

Pretty good go home show. Strong rating, a few bumps in the road with the women's tag being all sorts of sloppy (and I think a botched finish) and the consequences of the Fenix dive almost being worse than what it was.

But they drove home hard the key selling points for DON. 3 money drawing matches plus 1 money drawing special attraction. They put heat on Mox/Lee, the interview segment between Arn and Jake was great stuff (what I love about it really is how it's so much more spontaneous than what you usually get in mainstream US wrestling), they really hit on the Mike Tyson stuff this week and teased him getting physical and the show closing angle did it for me with that image of The Elite guys closing the show and Page walking off (the full pitch running lariat popped me big).

Again, clear direction, hitting their storytelling points and not rushing things seem to be the hallmarks of the booking style.

Pretty sure a lot of the released talent from WWE are under a 90 day no-compete clause so not sure whether many of them are eligible.

• Advertisement

PAC could be the final man in the Ladder match.

Advertisement