Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I can see AEW as a glamourous ROH at best. I hope Im proved wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I can see AEW as a glamourous ROH at best. I hope Im proved wrong

If that means ROH style booking & work with better production and exposure, that's great.

No one - not even the guys involved - are expecting to be pulling in 2.5 million viewers a week like WWE. Success is not relative to WWE. If they get a good TV deal and a reasonable audience, it is great for the business.

DM_7 wrote: »
    They are a start up so reasonably high money is not a realistic expectation. Who other than WWE is making money thanks to TV?

Bellator are doing 400,000 viewers on Paramount and they got $30 mill a year for 12 shows a year on DAZN. It doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility they could do that viewership or better on a reasonable cable station.

All the reports are that the TV companies are interested based on the volume of merch sold through Hot Topic/PW Tees and the success of All In.

But it's accurate to say they're not going to be paid hundreds of millions of dollars a year. What the figure is that would allow them generate enough revenue to cover all these contracts and make a profit, I don't know. But I don't think the Khan family are getting into this without some degree of confidence there are deals in the pipeline.

Monokne wrote: »
    If that means ROH style booking & work with better production and exposure, that's great.

No one - not even the guys involved - are expecting to be pulling in 2.5 million viewers a week like WWE. Success is not relative to WWE. If they get a good TV deal and a reasonable audience, it is great for the business.

Oh you misunderstand me, like thats what I expect to get with AEW. It be a great thing, I just hope Im proved wrong and its better than I imagine.

Oh you misunderstand me, like thats what I expect to get with AEW. It be a great thing, I just hope Im proved wrong and its better than I imagine.

I get you, but what would "better" look like? What would that be?

• Advertisement

I get you, but what would "better" look like? What would that be?

Better as in more successful and in time a competitor somehwta to WWE.

I can only seeing it reaching the levels of ROH is what I mean. (again thats not a bad thing, just some people expect it be be challenging WWE in some modern day Monday Night War)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Meh, it's not bitter, it's business.

The two aren't mutually exclusive! I wouldn't be so quick to "ok" these arsehole moves as just business. Promoting Saudis, ah it's just business. Eject fans for a t-shirt, just business. Delivering Punk his firing papers on his wedding day, just business. Telling Big Show to lead the fans in chanting yes (under the pretense of a 'Get well soon Daniel Bryan' message) but really using it for the WWE network - just business?

Despite WWE's gargantuan size, and vice-like grip on the wrestling industry, they're some real petty sh*ts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Oh absolutely. I'm not saying WWE isn't petty. Just that I don't consider this specific move particularly petty.

AEW aren't direct competitors yet, but it's obvious they are ambitious enough, in a way a company hasn't been for a decade. And from a pure business standpoint, I wouldn't expect them to be promoting anyone who signs up, be that a Jericho or a Neville or anyone like that. No more than if a Man United player transfered off to a lower team, I wouldn't expect them to still be putting the gone player front and center ahead of a current player.

Jericho said on a radio show today that he wouldn't have signed if there wasn't going to be a good TV deal happening. He said there is 3 good offers on the table.

Also basically confirmed Omega by saying something like they brought him (Jericho) in for name recognition because some casual fans wouldn't know of the bucks or Omega.

Better as in more successful and in time a competitor somehwta to WWE.

I can only seeing it reaching the levels of ROH is what I mean. (again thats not a bad thing, just some people expect it be be challenging WWE in some modern day Monday Night War)

I understand.

My take is that if they've a decent TV deal they could reach the level of TNA back in the 00's. Which is not to say a million viewers, because the cable industry has dwindled since then, but maybe 700 - 800k with occasional big shows.

• Advertisement

I understand.

My take is that if they've a decent TV deal they could reach the level of TNA back in the 00's. Which is not to say a million viewers, because the cable industry has dwindled since then, but maybe 700 - 800k with occasional big shows.

I agree it be great if they could get to that level.

I feel most fans just hope some day an actual competitor will emerge to take on WWE and wish AEW was able to somehow achieve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,379 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Imagine a new Monday night war with wrestlers jumping ship etc

Obv It's not the 90s anymore and the world of pro wrestling is such a different place today. Vince and co would of learnt a lot from the Monday night wars and will act accordingly

I don't want WWE too lose Styles and Balor but AEW would snap them up in an instant if/when there wwe contacts are nearing there end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Imagine a new Monday night war with wrestlers jumping ship etc

Obv It's not the 90s anymore and the world of pro wrestling is such a different place today. Vince and co would of learnt a lot from the Monday night wars and will act accordingly

I don't want WWE too lose Styles and Balor but AEW would snap them up in an instant if/when there wwe contacts are nearing there end

Won’t happen. WWE now have no competes in all contracts and you can be sure guys looking to get realised early will have them also

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Won’t happen. WWE now have no competes in all contracts and you can be sure guys looking to get realised early will have them also

It's a time expiry no compete clause though, i think 60 days. Brock Lesnar seen to that when he left and they tried to block him from competing in pro wrestling, full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

PTH2009 wrote: »

Neither of them are going anywhere; in Balor's case I mean that literally and figuratively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Jericho on Busted Open radio talking about how him joining AEW is like Hogan joining WCW in 1994, only cooler.

The man is delusional. He's going full David Brent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

sirmanga wrote: »
    Jericho on Busted Open radio talking about how him joining AEW is like Hogan joining WCW in 1994, only cooler.

Pro-wrestler in "over-exagerating while self-promoting" shocker :pac:

sirmanga wrote: »

I love it. Promote that man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    It's a time expiry no compete clause though, i think 60 days. Brock Lesnar seen to that when he left and they tried to block him from competing in pro wrestling, full stop.

Oh I know but I was likening it too the Monday night wars where lads were on the same show on the same night at one point. Those days at that level are long gone

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Oh I know but I was likening it too the Monday night wars where lads were on the same show on the same night at one point. Those days at that level are long gone

Oh ya, without a doubt. Which is a huge shame too, ruins surprise debuts / returns or whatever. If someone gets Future Endeavoured by WWE now, you know they are going to show up in 60 days time someplace else

*inserts what's whoever doing in the Impact Zone joke*

What they are trying to achieve in AEW is admirable though, it seems they are trying to change the industry for the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,379 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Oh ya, without a doubt. Which is a huge shame too, ruins surprise debuts / returns or whatever. If someone gets Future Endeavoured by WWE now, you know they are going to show up in 60 days time someplace else

*inserts what's whoever doing in the Impact Zone joke*

What they are trying to achieve in AEW is admirable though, it seems they are trying to change the industry for the better.

Love that impact joke 🀣🀣

Speaking of them there really screwed now as AEW would be way more appealing than them

Jerichos been talking about his contract, making claims its his best ever contract. That is a smart move as anyone nearing their end of their contract in WWE surely will be curious now to negotiate with AEW.

While Jericho may be exaggerating his contact, I do wonder how much hes earning.

I always had him as a WWE for life company man. Hes no idiot and Im sure hes well aware of being blackballed by WWE for a long period as a result of joining AEW.

Makes me think he would need a hell of an offer to pull away from Vince.

I think with Jericho, he could have been offered greater creative freedom.

I know with Vince, he's felt a bit throttled in that regard

I think with Jericho, he could have been offered greater creative freedom.

I know with Vince, he's felt a bit throttled in that regard

I would have been under the impression that Jericho had more freedom than most in WWE.

I would have been under the impression that Jericho had more freedom than most in WWE.

And i'm sure he does. You'd be right there. But not enough to satisfy him.

Also paints a light on the amount of creative freedom given to others (likely none!)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder what version of Jericho we get. The one from NJPW or will he be using the List gimmick. I see it being more NJPW and make the odd remark or 2 about a list

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wonder what version of Jericho we get. The one from NJPW or will he be using the List gimmick. I see it being more NJPW and make the odd remark or 2 about a list

Ive always found him as a team player, I expect him to get people over and he seems to take pride in that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jericho was just another where he just realized he didn't have to not do something cos Vince says no after Vince said no to the cruise. So many little WWE issues lead to AEW tbh. If they didn't make Cody keep being Stardust would any of this ever happened ? Jericho seems to pride himself on evolving as a character always so I doubt he would do the list stuff in AEW unless it is part of a new character where he mocks himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,172 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jerichos been talking about his contract, making claims its his best ever contract. That is a smart move as anyone nearing their end of their contract in WWE surely will be curious now to negotiate with AEW.

While Jericho may be exaggerating his contact, I do wonder how much hes earning.

I always had him as a WWE for life company man. Hes no idiot and Im sure hes well aware of being blackballed by WWE for a long period as a result of joining AEW.

Makes me think he would need a hell of an offer to pull away from Vince.

Someone like Jericho being blackballed by WWE means nothing. He's probably made enough money for multiple lifetimes. He is also probably in the discussion for GOAT in terms of longevity, achievements and match consistency so I think WWE will need him more to headline a HoF down the line instead of Jericho needing them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Jericho knows he can go back to WWE, they take everyone back.

I think he could be looking at 5 years time. He has a chance to get a serious role in the company behind the curtain, one that he would never get in WWE. Something like what HHH has now in a smaller place that he could help grow might be something he is interested in.

Advertisement