Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New NAS for NVIDIA Shield Plex Media Server

Options
  • 01-01-2019 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have an old Zyxel NSA310 NAS with 2TB storage connected via Ethernet to my Asus RT-N66U router which in turn is connected via ethernet to an NVIDIA Shield running Plex Media Server Version#: v1.4.3.3433

The NAS is about 6 years old and nearly full to capacity with video content so I'm thinking of upgrading to something with greater capacity (5TB or 6TB) but with Plex Media Server running 24/7 on the Shield I'm unsure what the best replacement NAS option should be.

Is there any merit in getting a NAS with transcoding capability which can run Plex Media Server direct from the NAS (list of Plex supported NAS manufacturers) or, given I already have the NVIDIA Shield and plan to keep it long term, should I get a very basic NAS and let the Shield continue as the Plex server with the replacement NAS being nothing more than a library of content?

Would appreciate a steer from someone more experienced in this than me!!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The Shield is a good HEVC decoder and AFAIK is known to be a pretty solid PMS. I'd keep it.

Get something solid but basic, keep the Shield as your grunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

ED E wrote: »
    The Shield is a good HEVC decoder and AFAIK is known to be a pretty solid PMS. I'd keep it.

Get something solid but basic, keep the Shield as your grunt.

Thanks ED.

Would this be a good solid but basic option?

Buffalo LS220D0602-EU 6TB LinkStation 220D 2 Bay Desktop NAS https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ISM5DZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vcalCbPN4AFHT

Or could I use a dumb external HDD connected directly to the Shield via USB? They tend to be cheaper and I'm sure it'd work fine as the Plex Server library but I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to save files to the HDD over my home network as it would only be visible to the Shield hence the need for an Ethernet connected NAS rather than a USB connected HDD?

Thats buying into another replacement in a few years is it not? Two bay is the Tokyo One Bed of NAS-s. Maybe look at 4 bays and then fill as you need.

Also going to single disk gives you no redundancy, fine if its all replaceable media but poor if there is more important data too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You could also add an external HDD to the existing NAS via either USB or E-SATA, which should mean its content is as accessible on tha LAN as the internal HDD

Thats buying into another replacement in a few years is it not? Two bay is the Tokyo One Bed of NAS-s. Maybe look at 4 bays and then fill as you need.

That's good advice but my storage requirement is fairly limited and I don't expect it to grow beyond +/- 5TB. (famous last words perhaps!!)
    Also going to single disk gives you no redundancy, fine if its all replaceable media but poor if there is more important data too.

All the content I have on the NAS is for Plex streaming so very replaceable. Personal/family photo's and video content are on a Microsoft OneDrive cloud subscription.

• Advertisement

You could also add an external HDD to the existing NAS via either USB or E-SATA, which should mean its content is as accessible on tha LAN as the internal HDD

That might be a pragmatic solution all right.

This 4TB WD HDD seems to be good value at £90 but the interface is USB 3.0 whereas the old NAS only has USB 2.0 so perhaps I'd be better off getting a HDD with an eSaTa port as the NAS has an eSaTa port or maybe try using an inexpensive USB 3.0 to eSaTa adapter like this to see if it'll do the job.

There's unlikely to be more than 2-3 Plex clients streaming content from the NAS/HDD simultaneously so perhaps USB 2.0 would suffice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That might be a pragmatic solution all right.

This 4TB WD HDD seems to be good value at £90 but the interface is USB 3.0 whereas the old NAS only has USB 2.0 so perhaps I'd be better off getting a HDD with an eSaTa port as the NAS has an eSaTa port or maybe try using an inexpensive USB 3.0 to eSaTa adapter like this to see if it'll do the job.

There's unlikely to be more than 2-3 Plex clients streaming content from the NAS/HDD simultaneously so perhaps USB 2.0 would suffice anyway.

If going that route I would certainly try USB 2 first and only if it throws problems convert it to E-Sata.
    My only concern might be power requirements ..... USB 3 provides more power than USB 2, for external devices.
    It might be prudent to get an external drive which has capability of using separate PSU.

Dont buy the portable, if going the external route get a desktop drive. They're much more apt for 24/7 operation.

USB 2 would probably be enough. Remember many survive on 100Mb LANs which are a quarter the speed.

Advertisement