Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Murphy's Micro Quiz-m, presented by Mike Murphy on Sunday night before Glenroe. It was succeeded by Where in the World? and was presented by Marty Whelan and then Theresa Lowe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Hanly's People

I can only remember seeing Sean Boylan on it in 1990. Biographical type show.

In the early 1990s Friday evening included a show from a circus tent (Fossetts?) called 'Bibi's Big Top'.

Given Bibi's 'buxom' nature many thought RTE were taking the pi*s!!

Coach, with Craig T Nelson as a college coach for an American Football team

Rapid late 1990s early 200s with Kathryn Thomas and Jason Sherlock. Varied sports show.

A clip from 1999 with a 19/20 year old Kathryn Thomas.

• Advertisement

Head 2 Toe, a fashion programme, mainly for certain sections ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Live at 3 Thelma was beautiful

branie2 wrote: »
    Head 2 Toe, a fashion programme, mainly for certain sections ;-)

Bairbre McMahon and Pat O'Mahony(?)

Is Bairbre still with usi wonder.. she'd be in her 80s you'd imagine.. Seemed to be 50ish 30 years ago.

Yes. I think she's still around

Room Outside- Gardening programme with Gerry Daly in the 80s and 90s.

• Advertisement

Strumpet City 1980.

Brilliant series with top quality actors, Cyril Cusack, Peter O'Toole, Peter Ustinov, Bryan Murray, Donal McCann, David Kelly, Brendan Cauldwell, Eileen Colgan to name but a few.

Shown again and digitally remastered in 2003.

Jesus of Nazareth - the definitive mini-series about Jesus Christ

branie2 wrote: »
    Jesus of Nazareth - the definitive mini-series about Jesus Christ

When it was traditional that Holy Thursday and Good Friday had a biopic of Christ split in 2 parts like Jesus of Nazareth.

By the late 2000s The Passion of the Christ was shown a few Easters and now no programme/film on Christ. But that's for a different thread :)

To the Waters and the Wild with Gerrit van Gelderen (1926-1994)

Now that was a nature programme :)

Scaoil Amach an Bobailín.

It wasn't much of a show but i had a teenage crush on Cynthia Ni Mhuruchu, who kinda vanished off our screens after the 1994 Eurovision.

Old agricultural programmes pre Ear to The Ground (a993-Present).

Landmark was one and Mart and Market for cattle prices when i was 4 or 5 :)

Top Club a quiz show in the 80s presented by Barry Lang (or Larry Bang as a workmate used call him :D )

Clubs from all over Ireland. Geared at teenagers iirc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Picture Box (IMDB). I was either off sick, going to the dentist, or somehow acting the maggot enough to not be in school..

Introduced by Alan Rothwell (Wikipedia), with his strangely comforting thespian voice. A lot of childrens presenters back then were of acting stock, they had great 'voice'.

Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Watch the first minute or so for the awesome introduction visuals and audio.

Typically weekdays at around eleven in the morning.
    A lot of programming at that time of day was geared to being viewed at schooltime, in the classroom, 'live'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Amalgam wrote: »
    Picture Box (IMDB). I was either off sick, going to the dentist, or somehow acting the maggot enough to not be in school..

Introduced by Alan Rothwell (Wikipedia), with his strangely comforting thespian voice. A lot of childrens presenters back then were of acting stock, they had great 'voice'.

Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Watch the first minute or so for the awesome introduction visuals and audio.

First time I saw that in colour!

Amalgam wrote: »

It's hypnotic! I missed out on all BBC programmes. Country kid with 2 channels for my childhood :)

• Advertisement

The Year of the French 1982.

About 1798 and the French landing in Kilalla under General Humbert.

The highlight for 6 year old moi was the French and irish rebels giving the Red Coats a good licking at The Races of Castlebar battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Our Friends in the North was a very good drama series with Daniel Craig and Christopher Eccleston. No one ever seems to remember it when i mention it.

And Id like to watch it again but I remember Jake's Progress was good.

I remember it well, have it on DVD. Superb series. Mark Strong and Gina McKee were also in it. All four main actors went on to do very well for themselves. Jakes Progress was not bad from what I remember, but GBH, also by Alan Bleasdale was better.

'Allo 'Allo Comedy 1984-92. Brilliant British comedy. You either love it or hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

The Word on C4 a pre Chris Evans tgi music show with incendiary performance by L7, smashing pumpkins and others.

Three decent BBC/itv dramas
    Lovejoy with Ian McShane
    Chancerer with Clive Owen
    Spender/auf wiedersehn pet Jimmy Nail

Beyond 2000. Classic futuristic science show, 1980s.

At the time it seemed reasonably entertaining but obviously very tainted now..The Cosby Show.

Diffrent Strokes, two black boys adopted by a white man

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

sweetie wrote: »
    The Word on C4 a pre Chris Evans tgi music show with incendiary performance by L7, smashing pumpkins and others.

I was so hyped, the likes of Nirvana and Bill Hicks were on a day or so before doing their Irish dates, typically. (Nirvana/Sonic Youth - Top Hat, Dun Laoghaire)

I loved SNUB TV (BBC2) (Wikipedia) with Magenta Devine (Wikipedia) ..and of course a bit later, Rapido (BBC2) (Wikipedia) with Antoine de Caunes (Wikipedia).

Mick Wall on The Monsters of Rock..

Those big opening themed, big shoulder padded 80s shows..

Dallas (the best)
    Dynasty
    Falcon Crest (Lance and Melissa!)

• Advertisement

Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman

Jane Seymour..need i say more :) Johnny CAsh appearance too like in North and South when he was John Brown.

Advertisement