Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Marengo wrote: »
    The Year of the French 1982.

About 1798 and the French landing in Kilalla under General Humbert.

The highlight for 6 year old moi was the French and irish rebels giving the Red Coats a good licking at The Races of Castlebar battle.
    I remember that. It's never been repeated .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

scotchy wrote: »
    Its Friday....Its 5 oclock........

Its Craaackerjaaack.

Don't ask me why but that would be on my most hated list :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Earthworm Jim, the cartoon series not the game.
    Very knowing\postmodern sense of humour ala Futurama and lots of breaking of the fourth wall.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭scotchy

my3cents wrote: »
    Don't ask me why but that would be on my most hated list :mad:

I wasn't a big fan either.

:o

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

I remember that. It's never been repeated .

Nor has The Treaty 1991. Brendan Gleeson as Michael Collins. Ian Bannen Lloyd George. Gleeson was the best Collins.

• Advertisement

I wasn't a big fan either.

:o

I also hated Fingerbobs

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Earthworm Jim, the cartoon series not the game.
    Very knowing\postmodern sense of humour ala Futurama and lots of breaking of the fourth wall.

Remember one time, Jim got a replacement sidekick "lower back pain man" who was no help whatsoever and his catchphrase was "I'll be alright in a minute" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

I get that but just keep in mind on this thread it's "Pointless" rules rather than "Family Fortune"!

?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Glued to Tour of Duty on Bravo when I was young. Great show.

https://youtu.be/YdsUfcf6HoI

People still remember Dawsons Creek but there was also a short lived spinoff Young Americans starring Kate Bosworth and Ian Somerhalder set in a boarding school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I also hated Fingerbobs

Are we seeing a trend here - I didn't like them either :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

People still remember Dawsons Creek but there was also a short lived spinoff Young Americans starring Kate Bosworth and Ian Somerhalder set in a boarding school.

At times I thought I had dreamt up that series, glad someone else remembers it. :)

Did anyone see "Starman"? Not the film with Jeff Bridges, but the TV series with Robert Hays. It was in the mid/late '80s, though.

my3cents wrote: »
    Are we seeing a trend here - I didn't like them either :D

Only watched it while waiting for Swap Shop:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

New Home wrote:
    In fairness, most people would remember most of these.

Good contribution

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Action Station Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Summer mornings on school hols I remember watching eps of Shirley and Laverne. Think it was a Mork n Mindy spinoff

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Another one very few people I know seem to remember was a cartoon from 1993, a Tim Burton/Steven Spielberg spin-off of "Amazing Stories". It was called "Family Dog", and it was absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

New version of Magnum is on Sky One tonight. Very impressive so far. Up there with the original

New Home wrote: »
    At times I thought I had dreamt up that series, glad someone else remembers it. :)

Did anyone see "Starman"? Not the film with Jeff Bridges, but the TV series with Robert Hays. It was in the mid/late '80s, though.

Film yes. TV no Im afraid.

Young Americans... crazy show. Half the cast were in Dead Poets Society mode and other half of cast were in a farce of gender confusion and sibling confusion.
    Heavy use of Nick Drake songs was appreciated.

There was another series I remember (well, not the title, though), where a teenager (an alien? I think he had superpowers) had a black butler/helper/mentor type of person.

And one more: "My Secret Identity", with a young Jerry O'Connell who could fly using spray cans to take off.

• Advertisement

Wings. 90s comedy series about a one plane airline on Nantucket run by two chalk and cheese brothers.

Not in same league as Friends, Mad About You, Seinfeld, Frasier, Cheers, Roseanne but worth a few laughs.

Wings. 90s comedy series about a one plane airline on Nantucket run by two chalk and cheese brothers.

Not in same league as Friends, Mad About You, Seinfeld, Frasier, Cheers, Roseanne but worth a few laughs.

I loved that, too. :)

Going really obscure here.

Wild Oats, short lived comedy series starring Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston.

If the show hadnt been cancelled, we would have had a different Rachel on Friends. Rumour has it NBC deliberately programmed against it to kill it off and free up Aniston from her contract.

Prey, a one season scifi show starring Debra Messing pre Will and Grace. Premise was that there was another human species who were superior to homo sapiens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

DellyBelly wrote: »
    New version of Magnum is on Sky One tonight. Very impressive so far. Up there with the original

Didn’t see it, has he the moustache?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Anyone remember nowhere man or deadly games

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Anyone remember nowhere man or deadly games

Nowhere Man yes. Had a Prisoner - The Fugitive vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Rapid Roulette Quiz show with Maurie Taylor originally and then Maxi.

Maurie Taylor was obnoxious. He was also in Hidden Curriculum, a 1985 feature length production set in Belfast: "In a disintegrating Belfast comprehensive school, a conflict develops between the two most committed teachers. Cairns, a well-meaning middle-class English teacher, clearly perceives the unfairness of the system, but his attempts to alter the opinions of his colleagues are thwarted. His protege, Dunn, a product of the same back streets as the pupils, opposes the system at every turn yet realises that his own academic success has inevitably distanced him from his own background."

Anyone else remember it?

At the time it seemed reasonably entertaining but obviously very tainted now..The Cosby Show.

Rewatched it all last year, one episode every weekday. The 25th anniversary DVD set (including commemorative booklet and postcard with drawing of and signed by Bill Cosby) was dirt cheap. Still hilarious.

Used to watch Midnight Caller with my Dad.
    Gary Cole was excellent.
    Great intro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Manach wrote:
    Radharc, a thoughtful discussion on religious and historical matters before RTE got all woke.

Catherine NcGuiness' husband Prionsaus McAonghasa presented or was that Feach?

Advertisement