Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

Children's ward

My two dad's

Blossom

The kids in the hall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Children's Ward

Good scripts. The kid who'd never play football again - hard to watch.

And in a similar vein - Press Gang.

Ran for five series between 1989 and 1993.

No let up in quality - genuinely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

What was the one with the 3 lads in hospital? I'm H. A. P. P. Y.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Used to watch Midnight Caller with my Dad.
    Gary Cole was excellent.
    Great intro.

I loved Midnight Caller !

And The Equalizer , with Edward Woodword , I think , could be wrong on his name .
    We had no cable tv , rural area , the mean feckers wouldn't bring the line out that far :(

For years our tv itself was from RTV Rentals , paid every week , if you lost your RTE1 or 2 , they'd have to come out to retune it :D

Oh , and Kizzy , I know you remember that one Newbridge IR , loved that as a child .

Last one , Heidi , up the mountains with her grandad . Not too sure of the year tbh , 70-80's ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭its_steve116

And in a similar vein - Press Gang.

Ran for five series between 1989 and 1993.

No let up in quality - genuinely brilliant.

ITV filmed, but ultimately pulled, a show called "Press GangED" in the mid 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The was kids a show called Nobody`s House in the 1970s which was quite good.

In the late eighties, when Hill Street Blues started, that was when TV began to go down hill. Producers started saying people wanted to watch gritty TV shows which to me meant cheap. There were a lot of good TV shows back in the eighties. They were slick, not gritty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I don't know if they are movie series or a normal series but I love Sharpe. Haven't met many people my age who have even heard of it. (I'm 25)

I've watched them all countless times sense I was small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

Who remembers this with the creepy intro.:eek:
    Journey into the unknown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecwd_Ww8tHQ&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

What was the one with the 3 lads in hospital? I'm H. A. P. P. Y.....

Only When I Laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

killanena wrote: »
    I don't know if they are movie series or a normal series but I love Sharpe. Haven't met many people my age who have even heard of it. (I'm 25)

You might like Sean Bean on Waterloo then, think it was on the History Channel but its getting a repeat 26th Jan on PBS America https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/dnnk59/sean-bean-on-waterloo--series-1-episode-1/

Or youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

Roadies - A documentary series that aired on the now long-defunct SKY channel UK TV Horizons. As you'd probably guess, it was about bands' roadies. Had episodes on The Darkness, The Wildhearts, Bowling for Soup, Ocean Colour Scene, Lostprophets etc. Used to really like it.

Does anyone remember a reality show that aired on (I think) Trouble TV in the early to mid 2000s about a group of British teenagers who spend a term at an American highschool? Think it was called something like Project High School USA, but Google turns up nothing. This could be one of those series so forgotten, not even the Internet remembers it.

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    I loved Midnight Caller !

And The Equalizer , with Edward Woodword , I think , could be wrong on his name .
    We had no cable tv , rural area , the mean feckers wouldn't bring the line out that far :(

For years our tv itself was from RTV Rentals , paid every week , if you lost your RTE1 or 2 , they'd have to come out to retune it :D

Oh , and Kizzy , I know you remember that one Newbridge IR , loved that as a child .

Last one , Heidi , up the mountains with her grandad . Not too sure of the year tbh , 70-80's ..

That's The Equalizer! Great show. Retuning RTE! - I used to rent TVs when I moved to Dublin first. Campbell TV - amazingly still going.....

Heidi was made in the late 1970s but the broadcast everyone remembers was on RTE during 1981.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Catherine NcGuiness' husband Prionsaus McAonghasa presented or was that Feach?

Ah Féach, remember that one.

And Folio with Patrick Gallagher.....

Anyone for Huckleberry Finn & His Friends?

I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭scotchy

Robinson Crusoe.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

An early 80s American series that spoofed Superman and other comic book superheroes called The Greatest American Hero. The series itself was corny but the theme song was great.

https://youtu.be/B4JCehDOy54

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Spiderman and His Amazing Friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

bubblypop wrote: »
    I used to love 'monkey ' or 'monkey magic'
    Can't even remember the name!!
    No one remembers it, I think it was Japanese. I loved it so much when I was a kid! Late 70s or early 80s!

That ran on Sky in the early days of Sky One.

Monkey, I Dream of Jeannie, the Time Tunnel and Lost In Space and a lot of other very old 60s US stuff was the mainstay of Sky at the turn of the 90s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

scotchy wrote: »
    Robinson Crusoe.

That was another one with a lovely theme tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

killanena wrote: »

I'll see your Sharpe and raise you Hornblower... it's basically similar plots to Sharpe but at sea, same Napoleonic War era as Master & Commander.

I loved Sharpe, early entries in the series especially, think they should have called it a day after Waterloo as the later entries weren't same quality.
    http://epguides.com/Sharpe/

They should show the pilot episode Sharpe's Rifles as a stand alone movie on TV, it's that good.

Over the hills and far away...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭smilerf

Spatz. I loved it
    Gone too soon

An early 80s American series that spoofed Superman and other comic book superheroes called The Greatest American Hero. The series itself was corny but the theme song was great.

https://youtu.be/B4JCehDOy54

George Costanza in Seinfeld used this tune as his answering machine message...
    "Believe it or not George isn't at home..."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Borrowers
    Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
    Tomorrow’s World

Sharkey and George
    Ramona
    The Secret World Of Alex Mack
    The Biskitts
    Eerie indiana

smilerf wrote: »
    Sharkey and George
    Ramona
    The Secret World Of Alex Mack
    The Biskitts
    Eerie indiana

Good shout on Eerie Indiana... loved that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

American Gothic , a '95 one season series with Gary Cole; twin peaks influenced about a corrupt sheriff in South Carolina.
    Picket Fences, a '92 series which predated X files and probably didnt get the kudos it deserved.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Good shout on Eerie Indiana... loved that show.
    Think it only ran for 1 season. Such a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Ooh Shannen Doherty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,496 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anyone mention Hall's pictorial weekly?

Advertisement