Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Speaking of being home sick from school, I always watched these game shows on Sky whenever I was. I loved Classic Concentration.
    I loved the US "price is right", lads winning cars, one always sounded like "the pontiac firebird with californian emmission", big boats and stuff, while on the UK one the crowd would be swooning over a toaster!

Breaking bad fans might like this, it is NOT a spoof but looks like it is, it is from 2000 when he would have been ~21

and long before Janet Jackson it had an infamous "wardrobe malfunction" which was parodied and in loads of "blooper" shows. If I link I might be banned! its on youtube The Price Is Right - Yolanda's Wardrobe Malfunction (1977)

EDIT: found a censored version of it. the host responds brilliantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

American Gothic from 1995. It only ran for one series but it was really good. It centres around a child called Caleb Temple and the corrupt Sherrif Buck. Buck is a murderer and rapist and controls people with supernatural powers. Caleb's dead sister Merlyn appears to him throughout the series giving him advice.

Central Park West also 1995 and only ran for one series. It was about the lives of the glamorous staff of a New York magazine.

Cracker with Robbie Coltrane as the criminal psychologist Fitz who helps the Manchester police. It ran for three series 1993 to 1995 and then there were 2 feature length specials. It was excellent :)

New Home wrote: »
    It was quite popular at the time, but it seems to have slipped into oblivion: Ned and Stacey.

That reminds me of Wings, the fella that played Ned in Ned and Stacey was in it. It was a sitcom about a little one plane airport ran n Nantucket by two brothers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    Cracker with Robbie Coltrane as the criminal psychologist Fitz who helps the Manchester police. It ran for three series 1993 to 1995 and then there were 2 feature length specials. It was excellent :)

Also written by Jimmy McGovern, IIRC, and that's where John Simm made his debut on TV (again, IIRC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

And A Touch of Frost was good also.

I loved the show Dinosaurs from the early 90s when I was small. 'Not the momma! Not the momma!' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I M Weasel, with Michael Dorn as the voice of Weasel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Used to love Perfect Strangers
    Coosin

probably not so popular now, because of what the main star did for years, but I liked the Cosby Show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I don't remember The Lost Room.
    Caroline in the City I would watch but it was mainly for the cast, who were doing their best with thin material.
    Veronica's Closest was similar.

Worth a look:
    https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/the-lost-room/44537/the-lost-room-looking-back-at-an-overlooked-sci-fi-gem

• Advertisement

Bull Island

I can't remember the name, but it was an English comedy set in a convent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

branie2 wrote: »

That makes me think of "Oh Brother" and"All Gas and Gaiters" but nothing with nuns? Both with Dereck nnnnnnNimmo ;)

The comedy I mentioned was set in the 80s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

That one was on ITV4 a few years back. Laughable special effects though, so you needed to be very young to find it any way believable.

Back on the 70’s at 8 or 9 years old everything on tv seemed real.

Not "The Flying Nun"? Its a bit early though 67-70.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Boys from the Blackstuff.

my3cents wrote: »
    Not "The Flying Nun"? Its a bit early though 67-70.

It was an English comedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Play the game! I love charades and it was a good entertaining Rte show, something that doesn't exist anymore. Derek Davis rip :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Paradise (renamed Guns of Paradise for the third series) a late 80s / early 90s western.

The Young Riders, another western around the early 90s. The title always gave me a laugh.

I liked Duckman but it never seemed to get much recognition here.

It was an English comedy

See if you can remember enough to key it out here.

• Advertisement

A priest was living in the convent with the nuns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

It's probably been mentioned already, The Larry Sanders Show. I used to watch it late on BBC2 in the 90s, usually on a double bill with Seinfeld, and BBC used to always shunt them around in the schedule, so they could be on at any time really. I remember just loving these shows: i was the only person I knew who watched them and they felt like they were made just for me. Garry Shandling(RIP)/Rip Torn/Jeffrey Tambor, and all the Seinfeld guys were amazing comedy actors, and the writing was perfection itself. Smart, edgy, hip but most importantly incredibly funny comedy...what happened to good comedy? Jesus, i despair when i turn on tv now. Peep show was the last great comedy show. Alan Partridge has a new show coming soon, but i am not hopeful: his last series (mid morning matters 2) was not funny at all, and i love Partridge so it breaks my heart to say that.

I listened to many podcast interviews with Garry Shandling over the past few years before he died and he was just such a witty, smart guy. A real comedy legend. Comedian Norm MacDonald was doing a podcast once, and he mentioned Garry coming up to him when Norm was new in town and in his whiny voice asking "Norm, have you heard about this female g-spot thing? Jesus Christ. I couldn't find a guys balls" :)

OMG I can remember something similar but still can't put a name to it - so annoying :mad:

Cheers and Frasier

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It was an English comedy
    OMG I can remember something similar but still can't put a name to it - so annoying :mad:

;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055692262

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,628 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cheers and Frasier

Ah now... Anyone watching tv in those decades knows about them!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Father Charlie

ITV, 1982. Just one series IIRC.

Defenders of the Earth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Dream On

Father Charlie

ITV, 1982. Just one series IIRC.

Thats it with Lionel Jeffries I was thinking of someone who looked a bit like Alec Guinness in the lead and he sort of fits. Only 6 episodes that really was a short run.

• Advertisement

I remember one episode, when a nun, could have been the mother superior, accidentally overheard a conversation between the priest and his doctor, and mistakenly thought that Father Charlie was dying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Nighthawks, on RTE 2, or Network 2, or whatever they called it at the time. Shay Healy, and I think Flo McSweeney.

Oliver Twist, a mini-series from 1985, based on the Dickens' novel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Does anyone remember a programme about animals on RTÉ, which featured The Goodies song- The Funky Gibbon? Mid 80s probably.
    I just remembered it there now.
    Had to be RTÉ, as we only had 1/2 stations back then.

Jeeves and Wooster with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Jeeves and Wooster with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry

I recently got the boxset from the library. They were brilliant.

Boys from the Blackstuff.

I remember this, Yosser Hughes, "gissa job"
    The scene where Snowy White falls out the window horrified me as a child.

Billy Liar was a sitcom based in a funeral home run by Mr Shadrach. Billy was a Walter Mitty type character, it was quite funny
    :)

Does anyone remember a programme about animals on RTÉ, which featured The Goodies song- The Funky Gibbon? Mid 80s probably.

For some reason the TV show Animal Magic comes to mind, though not sure....
    Edit to add Animal Magic was originally a BBC show, can't remember if it was shown on RTE?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I have a vague memory of the Goodies Funky Gibbon being used in a clip of monkeys at Dublin Zoo being shown on RTE, this would be a lot earlier though, late 70's.

Another pretty gruesome memory I have is of RTE showing cows heads being fed to lions, again I think it was Dublin zoo, though I'm certain it was a different programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

The Crow road; really great '96 mini-series based on the excellent book by Iain Banks
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crow_Road_(TV_series)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I remember this, Yosser Hughes, "gissa job"
    The scene where Snowy White falls out the window horrified me as a child.

Billy Liar was a sitcom based in a funeral home run by Mr Shadrach. Billy was a Walter Mitty type character, it was quite funny
    :)

The pub scene in final Blackstuff episode is intense. SHAKE HANDS

Billy Liar was good fun; prefer it to the film. A LWT production from 1973/74, it was shown on RTE2 on Saturday nights c 1984/85. George A Cooper as his Dad- brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭cml387

Anyone remember or even ever see Out of Town with Jack Hargreaves? It later became Old Country

Same guy was in How.

Ah yes, Sunday afternoon before dinner.

Memorably lampooned by the Fast Show, the genius of which was you knew exactly what they were on about and it seemed to be a kind of private joke shared with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

It has to be Hands. An RTE programme about hand crafts and skills including boatbuilding, saddle and leatherwork etc. which aired on RTE about 1980.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,628 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dublin ... A Personal View.
    RTE series from 70s presented by Eamonn mac Thomais.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/0626/626496-a-personal-view-of-the-liberties-in-dublin-1979/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I did not realise that such a place existed until I took the 39 towards An Lár and then a 67 towards Lucan.... there it was after Prussia St..... Stoneybatter.

• Advertisement

Alias the Jester

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Rab C. Nesbitt was another favourite of mine.

Also the series spin off of the Mike Bassett England Manager movie was quite funny also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Aska wrote: »
    Rab C. Nesbitt was another favourite of mine.

It was so funny but it use to make me feel sick :/

Other ones I remember vaguely are Drop The Dead Donkey and The Day Today.

Probably more memorable but I loved The Young Ones and Bottom. They use to make me feel a bit sick too though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

I used to find The Thin Blue Line quite funny

smilerf wrote: »
    I used to find The Thin Blue Line quite funny

Constable Kevin Goody was very camp

• Advertisement
Advertisement