Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is Pat Ingoldsby still alive?

I think so.

Loved Pat's Hat from my early childhood.
    Do you remember the big spider coming down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He is, and I do remember the Spider, whose name was Spindles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Then it became Pat's Chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I can vaguely remember Pats Hat, think it must have ran up to circa 1980. Was the title card a picture of a hat?

I remember Pats Chat well. The Savage Cabbage et all. Great craic.

I liked Pat's Pals as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The End, presented by Shay Healy. Forever memorable for the Sean Doherty interview and his comments about Charles Haughey.

madmaggie wrote: »
    The End, presented by Shay Healy. Forever memorable for the Sean Doherty interview and his comments about Charles Haughey.

Nighthawks

Thank you, I always got those two mixed up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Mr. Magoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

the pink panther was a good programme for the kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Anto Lynch

The Equalizer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Anto Lynch wrote: »
    The Equalizer.

Its on Forces TV atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Everybody remembers The Equalizer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Tony EH wrote: »
    Everybody remembers The Equalizer.

Yes, this is a wellknown and very good TV series and was made into a film as well.

What about Highwayman?

I remember the BBC adaptation of War and Peace, Anthony Hopkins was in it. It was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I remember the BBC adaptation of War and Peace, Anthony Hopkins was in it. It was very good.

I had that on my 'to watch list' and then the BBC aired the recent Andrew Davies version so I watched that instead...

The BBC and ITV have an amazing back catalogue, although modern viewers may find some of the adaptations tick over slowly. At the same time, they allow the characters time to breathe. They only seem to repeat the most famous such as I Claudius or Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

The series get repeated on digital but very hard to track down some of the mini-series and TV movies.

The American mini-series such as North & South, Roots pop up on Digital also but rarely the British.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I had that on my 'to watch list' and then the BBC aired the recent Andrew Davies version so I watched that instead...

The BBC and ITV have an amazing back catalogue, although modern viewers may find some of the adaptations tick over slowly. At the same time, they allow the characters time to breathe. They only seem to repeat the most famous such as I Claudius or Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

The series get repeated on digital but very hard to track down some of the mini-series and TV movies.

The American mini-series such as North & South, Roots pop up on Digital also but rarely the British.

Agreed, for me the golden age of television is 1960-1989.

A lot of people don't like the pacing of archive drama but as you say, the characters really develop.
    DVD is the best way to watch these.
    Network are best for the ITV back catalogue (although they have released some BBC stuff) while Simply have put out some brilliant BBC titles.

I got a box set of McGyver (the original, not the new version) from the library. Going to enjoy that.

Don't get any ideas though :D

• Advertisement

I remember a Japanese set series with Richard Chamberlain. Samurai or something like that?

Dick Turpin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I remember a Japanese set series with Richard Chamberlain. Samurai or something like that?

Shogun. It was on a Sunday night after the news on RTE1. Remember one episode where a swordsman lopped some poor devils head off.

Shogun. It was on a Sunday night after the news on RTE1. Remember one episode where a swordsman lopped some poor devils head off.

Yes I remember that, and one guy is boiled in alive in a cauldron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

i liked Adam Adamant Lives

Yes I remember that, and one guy is boiled in alive in a cauldron.

If I remember rightly, there were crucifixions in it as well

Castaway, a tv drama about a group of people stranded on an island after the ship they were traveling on was wrecked and sank in a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

Here's a few from the 80's, perhaps they've already been mentioned.....

Salem's Lot
    V
    North and South
    The Thorn Birds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Eerie Indiana
    Nowhere Man

• Advertisement

Shaking All Over and its follow-up Shaking The 70s.Proto Reeling In The Years type clips show that RTE screened circa 92/93. John Keogh presented and did sort of sarcastic commentary on the clips."look at those flares!" Sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

I remember a show called the Blizzard of Odd, with Colin Murphy, from round the same time, a sort of a forerunner of what Charlie Brooker went on to do on the BBC. Was quite good.

trashcan wrote: »
    I remember a show called the Blizzard of Odd, with Colin Murphy, from round the same time, a sort of a forerunner of what Charlie Brooker went on to do on the BBC. Was quite good.

The best section of that was every week he'd do a feature on trashy Irish movies. Taffin, Fatal Deviation etc.

I really liked that show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

fmpisces wrote: »
    Here's a few from the 80's, perhaps they've already been mentioned.....

Salem's Lot
    V
    North and South
    The Thorn Birds

The original V was excellent - and somewhat chilling, with the current political state of the US and UK.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

There is one series from the BBC in the seventies that I vividly remember and that was called "Menace".
    Each was a self-contained drama,the connecting theme being that the central character(s) were facing a dangerous situation which generally came out of a hitherto banal existence.

Two come to mind that made a deep impression, "Deliver Us From Evil" was a story about a young curate moving to a remote parish, and starred John Gielgud.
    Think of "A warning to the curious" and you'll have an idea of how the remote location and the sense of entrapment generated an increasing sense of dread.

The other was "Boys and girls come out to play" about a psychotic child whose parents gradually come to realise is capable of terrible evil.

Sadly both are lost, but I believe are on the Most Wanted list of the BBC's hunt for old archive.

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    There is one series from the BBC in the seventies that I vividly remember and that was called "Menace".
    Each was a self-contained drama,the connecting theme being that the central character(s) were facing a dangerous situation which generally came out of a hitherto banal existence.

Two come to mind that made a deep impression, "Deliver Us From Evil" was a story about a young curate moving to a remote parish, and starred John Gielgud.
    Think of "A warning to the curious" and you'll have an idea of how the remote location and the sense of entrapment generated an increasing sense of dread.

The other was "Boys and girls come out to play" about a psychotic child whose parents gradually come to realise is capable of terrible evil.

Sadly both are lost, but I believe are on the Most Wanted list of the BBC's hunt for old archive.

By the sounds of it, a great series. My cousin saw most of the original run and still talks about it. I have only seen the two surviving episodes - Killing Time and Man With A Mission - on third or fourth generation VHS c.1995.

The only hope would be if it was sold overseas and the foreign broadcaster retained the telerecordings. Sadly doesn't look like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

The original V was excellent - and somewhat chilling, with the current political state of the US and UK.

I managed to find a link to the 3 series online, have to say I enjoyed it better when I was younger. It looked scarier then. Have to agree with you though, still better than the remake which I couldn't get into at all.

The Munsters Today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

branie2 wrote: »
    The Munsters Today
    the grandpa was gas

When Reason Sleeps. An RTE / Channel 4 anthology of supernatural stories that was shown in early 87. As you might expect from RTE it's never been repeated or releasd on home media.

• Advertisement

The Ghosts Of Motley Hall. I remember it from RTE late 70's, one of those particular British childrens series from that period that were both funny and unsettling along the lines of Worzel Gummidge.

When Reason Sleeps. An RTE / Channel 4 anthology of supernatural stories that was shown in early 87. As you might expect from RTE it's never been repeated or releasd on home media.

Good call, was around Easter IIRC.

There was an RTE Guide piece before the first one.

A.D. Anno Domini. A TV miniseries from the 1980s about the rise of early Christianity in Israel and Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Sliders

Relic Hunter

branie2 wrote: »
    A.D. Anno Domini. A TV miniseries from the 1980s about the rise of early Christianity in Israel and Rome.

I forgot about that one. Another was Greatest Heroes Of The Bible, it looked like it was shot on a very low budget and had lousy special effects.

Good call, was around Easter IIRC.

There was an RTE Guide piece before the first one.

Well here's a coincidence, just came across a promo for it in this 87 Channel 4 junction. I don't remember this particular episode, looks like Susan Lynch playing the female lead? The two episodes I remember seeing were one about a Dublin guy having flashbacks to his abusive childhood (his young self was played by Hugh O Conor from Lamb) and one about a middle class Irish family holidaying in Spain, this was set in the 50's or 60's.

Making The Cut, RTE crime series with Sean McGinley that was shown in 1998 or 99. The setting was a bit vague, it was an Irish city that wasn't Dublin or Cork but not sure if it was specified where exactly it was. Could have been Galway or Waterford. It came back for a second series under the name DDU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-41740176
    Not sure if this link works. It was a fake ghostwatch BBC programme, filmed on Halloween in the early 90s.
    Scared the hell out of me, but no-one else seems to remember it

The Mulk wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-41740176
    Not sure if this link works. It was a fake ghostwatch BBC programme, filmed on Halloween in the early 90s.
    Scared the hell out of me, but no-one else seems to remember it

I didn't see it at the time as we didn't have BBC but I remember the controversy in its aftermath particularly the lad who committed suicide, supposedly as a result of watching it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement