Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

TJ Hooker. Cop series. William Shatner as head honcho. Featuring a young Heather Locklear. Drool....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

branie2 wrote: »
    Degrassi Junior High - Teen drama set in a Canadian junior high school.

Can vaguely remember this I think. Was comedian Billy Connolly in this? Or was that Wonder Years? There was a whole lot of similar type shows at the time and a few Degrassi variants IIRC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Can vaguely remember this I think. Was comedian Billy Connolly in this? Or was that Wonder Years?

That was Head of the Class.

Used to fancy the girl in Degrassi Jnr High rotten. Was Stephanie the characters name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

People would remember this but I use to love The Brady Bunch. Think it use to be on at around 3 every day when I was around 6 or 7.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That was Head of the Class.

Used to fancy the girl in Degrassi Jnr High rotten. Was Stephanie the characters name?

He was Billy McGregor or something like that in it. There was a followup called Billy as well. What was Degrassi about then and Wonder Years? Know they were all about schools but don't remember them. Very much remember the Billy Connolly ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Degrassi was a kids show about being a teenager and all the ups and downs in school.
    Wonder Years was more about family life and had a narrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

Who remembers Punky Brewster ? Think it was out around the mid 80s also Are you afraid of the dark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA1GqmkeFQo
    No.73 children tv show every Saturday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

jasonb wrote: »
    It was the sequel to 'Kids from Degrassi Street' if I remember correctly...

and the sequel to Degrassi Junior High was Degrassi High - also worth a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

the Banana Splits used to be on Saturday morning before The Monkees

Also The Water Margin Japanese series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA1GqmkeFQo
    No.73 children tv show every Saturday morning

I used to watch that religiously when ITV showed it on the full network, it replaced The Saturday Show/Saturday Starship.

Ethel has been mostly playing a character called Sandi Toksvig since then,

Dawn makes films and won an Oscar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Tony EH wrote: »

No doesn't ring a bell- what time of day was it on and what was it about?

I might of posted this before, just can't remember now.

On the move- in this episode, with Bob Hoskins.

There was literally "nothing" on on TV worth watching on a Sunday morning in BBC/UTV/RTE land back in the late 70's

But this show was on every Sunday around lunchtime on BBC I think- I just loved the intro music :D

It was about teaching people to read - a great programme actually

Skid X wrote: »
    I used to watch that religiously when ITV showed it on the full network, it replaced The Saturday Show/Saturday Starship.

Was it not the Saturday Superstore? Or was that BBC?

Was Dawn Roller girl in Boogie Nights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jasonb wrote: »
    It was the sequel to 'Kids from Degrassi Street' if I remember correctly...
    yep, the kids OF degrassi street in case you are searching
    Tammy! wrote: »
    People would remember this but I use to love The Brady Bunch. Think it use to be on at around 3 every day when I was around 6 or 7.
    was on sky one, they had loads of old american sitcoms,
    threes company,
    the ropers
    I dream of jeannie,
    bewitched
    eight is enough
    The Ghost & Mrs. Muir
    Gidget
    I love Lucy
    Mork & Mindy

Saturday superstore followed Swap Shop which of course was BBC, when it ended if memory serves- (trying not to look at google for a definitive here but feel free)- that red headed bloke with the red glasses headed it up- again, only from memory, which is what i like about this thread.

Saturday superstore followed Swap Shop which of course was BBC, when it ended if memory serves- (trying not to look at google for a definitive here but feel free)- that red headed bloke with the red glasses headed it up- again, only from memory, which is what i like about this thread.

Mike Reid did Superstore. Noel Edmonds was Swap Shop. I have no recollection of a red headed bloke with glasses? Other than Andy Ruane on Scratch Saturday.

No recollection of Saturday Starship which is odd as I recall the first episode of number 73.
    Love Sandy Toksig

Yeah Saturday Superstore was on BBC1 with Mike Read (or Mike Reid)

Heather Graham was Roller girl, Dawn was Andrea Arnold who won an Oscar for a short film she wrote and now directs things like Big Little Lies and other proper Hollywood stuff. She is still best known as Dawn from No 73 :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah Saturday Superstore was on BBC1 with Mike Read (or Mike Reid)

Heather Graham was Roller girl, Dawn was Andrea Arnold who won an Oscar for a short film she wrote and now directs things like Big Little Lies and other proper Hollywood stuff. She is still best known as Dawn from No 73 :pac:

Did she wear roller skates in number 73 then? 2 very different roles.....

Mike Reid did Superstore. Noel Edmonds was Swap Shop. I have no recollection of a red headed bloke with glasses? Other than Andy Ruane on Scratch Saturday.

No recollection of Saturday Starship which is odd as I recall the first episode of number 73.
    Love Sandy Toksig

So, now I go to google- sorry, red hair no, red glasses- yes :D

mike-read-728fd74e-3f18-4edf-8b1f-f200ed59e97-resize-750.jpeg

Did she wear roller skates in number 73 then? 2 very different roles.....

Ah yeah, sorry you're right

Dawn was on roller skates on No 73

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

rubadub wrote: »
    yep, the kids OF degrassi street in case you are searching

was on sky one, they had loads of old american sitcoms,
    threes company,
    the ropers
    I dream of jeannie,
    bewitched
    eight is enough
    The Ghost & Mrs. Muir
    Gidget
    I love Lucy
    Mork & Mindy

Bit of showing off, mark and mindy was a spin off of happy days.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mark Curry? He presented Blue Peter later on.

Blue_Peter_Autographs_-_Caron_Keating_Mark_Curry_Janet_Ellis.jpg

salmocab wrote: »
    Bit of showing off, mark and mindy was a spin off of happy days.

I remember Mork and Mindy when first aired, way before Sky 1 :o

Nannoo Nannoo :D

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »

Ah bleeding hell, he did have red hair- I KNEW I wasn't imagining it. :D

Thank you sir ! :P:cool:

Edit- so now, did he present Superstore or did Mike Reid present it?

I'm confused now.

I went to google to answer my own question- Mike Reid of course presented Superstore.

And here's me thinking all these years the guy with red hair- Mark Curry, did. Isn't the memory a funny thing.

Ah bleeding hell, he did have red hair- I KNEW I wasn't imagining it. :D

Thank you sir ! :P:cool:

Edit- so now, did he present Superstore or did Mike Reid present it?

I'm confused now.

I think Mark Curry presented a Summer filler show called The Saturday Morning Picture Show, as well as Blue Peter and a few other things.

Don't remember him on Superstore, that was definitely Mike Reid

They are like a clone of each other to be fair

I think Mark Curry presented a Summer filler show called The Saturday Morning Picture Show, as well as Blue Peter and a few other things.

Don't remember him on Superstore, that was definitely Mike Reid
    They are like a clone of each other to be fair

Thanks guys, and Zaph- I kind of lost interest to be fair after Swap-Shop ended in terms of Saturday morning TV. But yes, I totally remember Mark on Blue Peter and probably remember him doing "something" on Saturday mornings- but I really felt sad the day Swap-Shop ended- it was such a cool programme :(

and just think, it started about what, 8.45am or something? And live. I mean RTE only started doing that in the 80's sometime, with "anything goes"- with Aongus McAnally and Dave Heffernan and Ruth Buchanan (all from memory)- which was very "babyish" for a teenager except for Dave's music slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

This is vague but Anyone remember a programme that used to be on at weekend around mid to late eighties I think

Used to be on after kids programming on on Irish tv (some of the rtes) round midday to two ish

I'm not exactly sure what the he'll it was about but there was a guy used to wander round in shorts and pretty much nothing else ... think he had a boat and every week himself and scantily clad women went on some sort of trip and did things like spear fishing, maybe hunting or conservation, camping etc

I remember it because of the bikini ladies predictably....i thought I'd grow up and be surrounded by ladies in bikinis ..... it was a brief but happy time

I think his name was something like Alby

And I thought it was called "adventure bound" but think that's a film or something

Anyone .... or have I finally lost it, gone stark raving mental and had a full blown episode here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Thanks guys, and Zaph- I kind of lost interest to be fair after Swap-Shop ended in terms of Saturday morning TV. But yes, I totally remember Mark on Blue Peter and probably remember him doing "something" on Saturday mornings- but I really felt sad the day Swap-Shop ended- it was such a cool programme :(

and just think, it started about what, 8.45am or something? And live. I mean RTE only started doing that in the 80's sometime, with "anything goes"- with Aongus McAnally and Dave Heffernan and Ruth Buchanan (all from memory)- which was very "babyish" for a teenager except for Dave's music slot.

I do remember the first few years of Anything Goes until I grew older and lost interest in it. I looked it up to confirm my memory and the presenters were Aonghus McAnally, Dave Heffernan, Mary Fitzgerald and Kathy Parke. Ruth Buchanan was not a presenter of this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Any of ye remember THE Water Margin Friday evening

or Monkey

I do remember the first few years of Anything Goes until I grew older and lost interest in it. I looked it up to confirm my memory and the presenters were Aonghus McAnally, Dave Heffernan, Mary Fitzgerald and Kathy Parke. Ruth Buchanan was not a presenter of this series.

Thanks! :)

I knew I wasn't totally correct with Ruth- just couldn't remember- while google would have given it to me, I prefer to be corrected - I think just sharing your "memories", regardless of how wrong they are, has a "quaintness" to this thread, if that makes any sense at all? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zaph wrote: »

That is Janet Ellis on the right, mother of singer Sophie Ellis Baxtor. I always remember Janet on an episode of "celebrity come dine with me", with mr cool dude, hardman UK rapper Goldie.

Goldie_2003_crop.jpg

Goldie says to her something like "oh yeah, I grew up watching you on blue peter" and she (10 years older and probably pissed off with him inferring she is way older) says something along the lines of "oh right, well I joined it in 1983, so you would have been 18 or over when watching that", STUNG ROTTEN!!

Here is another Mandela one, but a film -James Bond film moonraker this is Jaw's girlfriend Dolly, spot anything unusual in the first picture? this one really freaked me out

Dte1N1aWwAAGs1g.jpg

5d0289ef2500004e12e5b445.jpeg?ops=scalefit_630_noupscale

Degrassi was a kids show about being a teenager and all the ups and downs in school.
    Wonder Years was more about family life and had a narrator.

Wonder Years had a young guy called Kevin in it if it is what I am thinking of? Set around the Vietnam war era, that got mentions? This Kevin was also the narrator and was an older man looking back on the adventures of his teenage years.

I still cannot remember/place Degrassi.

Another more recent variant on this type of thing was Everyone Hates Chris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No doesn't ring a bell- what time of day was it on and what was it about?

I think it was on about half eight in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

rubadub wrote: »
    That is Janet Ellis on the right, mother of singer Sophie Ellis Baxtor. I always remember Janet on an episode of "celebrity come dine with me", with mr cool dude, hardman UK rapper Goldie.

Goldie_2003_crop.jpg

Goldie says to her something like "oh yeah, I grew up watching you on blue peter" and she (10 years older and probably pissed off with him inferring she is way older) says something along the lines of "oh right, well I joined it in 1983, so you would have been 18 or over when watching that", STUNG ROTTEN!!

Here is another Mandela one, but a film -James Bond film moonraker this is Jaw's girlfriend Dolly, spot anything unusual in the first picture? this one really freaked me out

Dte1N1aWwAAGs1g.jpg

5d0289ef2500004e12e5b445.jpeg?ops=scalefit_630_noupscale

Her teeth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Can I mention minder please. Absolute cracking show. Terry Arthur Dave etc.

Sharky and George

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Can't remember which of the repeat channels but Dennis Waterman and George Cole were back on recently.

Great show, especially the early ones with Dennis Waterman. But I assume this is a very wellknown one? The Sweeney was another great one from slightly before with DW too.

Speaking of cop shows, The Bill

my3cents wrote: »
    Can't remember which of the repeat channels but Dennis Waterman and George Cole were back on recently.

It has never been off television

One of the most popular programmes in UK History

"Old TV Programmes you liked but no one else remembers"? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I believe Mary Fitzgerald presented "How Do You Do" as well.

She did

The Flintstone Kids.

It was also my introduction to the Flintstones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

This life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Wonder Years had a young guy called Kevin in it if it is what I am thinking of? Set around the Vietnam war era, that got mentions? This Kevin was also the narrator and was an older man looking back on the adventures of his teenage years.

Yep, that was The Wonder Years. Fun fact - the voice of the narrator, the older Kevin looking back as you say, was Daniel Stern, best known as the tall (i.e. not Joe Pesci) criminal in Home Alone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

branie2 wrote: »
    Speaking of cop shows, The Bill

That was yesterday...

Advertisement