Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

jasonb wrote: »
    Yep, that was The Wonder Years. Fun fact - the voice of the narrator, the older Kevin looking back as you say, was Daniel Stern, best known as the tall (i.e. not Joe Pesci) criminal in Home Alone...

Never knew that. The iron in the mush didnt do his speaking voice any harm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Follyfoot, remember little about it, a girl on a farm with an older male relative and a magical tree.

A bit of the theme was something like "grow grow the lightning tree, too strong for you and me"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Shemale wrote: »
    Follyfoot, remember little about it, a girl on a farm with an older male relative and a magical tree.

A bit of the theme was something like "grow grow the lightning tree, too strong for you and me"

Yes I remember that

Mine are
    Buck Rodgers in the 25th century (loved the robot that used to say biddy biddy biddy)
    Battlestar galactica the original series ( the cyborgs frightened the crap out of me)
    And the greatest American hero.... you’d know the theme song from this one!

Granted I was only about 4 when I used to watch them but I loved them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century was my introduction to science fiction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

branie2 wrote: »
    Her teeth?
    Yep, she had no braces. On other forums you see people adamant she had them, in my memory it was as much of a defining feature as the pigtails. Also that it was part of the attraction, jaws showing his metal mouth and her smiling showing the braces.

You see comments like this on youtube
    Somer Hayes
    3 years ago
    This is one of Mandela effects that can't be debunked. She 100% had braces - that was the whole point of the scene. Someone below mentioned that she has braces in the later scene when in the space suit. Afraid not. I have just watched it again this morning to make sure and she has no braces in any scene

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

khalessi wrote: »
    the Banana Splits used to be on Saturday morning before The Monkees

Also The Water Margin Japanese series

I remember when The Bananas Splits and The Monkees used to be on a Saturday evening. It was the ONLY time we were allowed to eat our tea in front of the television. Happy times...

I might of posted this before, just can't remember now.

On the move- in this episode, with Bob Hoskins.

There was literally "nothing" on on TV worth watching on a Sunday morning in BBC/UTV/RTE land back in the late 70's

But this show was on every Sunday around lunchtime on BBC I think- I just loved the intro music :D

It was about teaching people to read - a great programme actually

Thank you so much for this link. What a blast from the past. I loved watching this with my brother and the music really brought me back. It had a great cast!

Dick Barton: Special Agent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Eleysian wrote: »
    I remember when The Bananas Splits and The Monkees used to be on a Saturday evening. It was the ONLY time we were allowed to eat our tea in front of the television. Happy times...

The Monkees were on Saturday morning in the UK when I watched them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We used to be forced to watch Anois is Aris in the context of educational development. Was awful tosh

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    The Monkees were on Saturday morning in the UK when I watched them.
    You are probably way younger than me! The drill was tea (bread and butter, banana, glass of milk) and watch The Monkees (black and white tv), bath to look lovely for Sunday Mass and off to bed, lol

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    We used to be forced to watch Anois is Aris in the context of educational development. Was awful tosh

I'd imagine that Anois is Aris was meant for adults

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

amacca wrote: »
    This is vague but Anyone remember a programme that used to be on at weekend around mid to late eighties I think

Used to be on after kids programming on on Irish tv (some of the rtes) round midday to two ish

I'm not exactly sure what the he'll it was about but there was a guy used to wander round in shorts and pretty much nothing else ... think he had a boat and every week himself and scantily clad women went on some sort of trip and did things like spear fishing, maybe hunting or conservation, camping etc

I remember it because of the bikini ladies predictably....i thought I'd grow up and be surrounded by ladies in bikinis ..... it was a brief but happy time

I think his name was something like Alby

And I thought it was called "adventure bound" but think that's a film or something

Anyone .... or have I finally lost it, gone stark raving mental and had a full blown episode here!

I remember that. Yer man was Australian or South African and had curly blond hair. It was billed as a documentary series but a lot of it felt very staged.

Wonder Years had a young guy called Kevin in it if it is what I am thinking of? Set around the Vietnam war era, that got mentions? This Kevin was also the narrator and was an older man looking back on the adventures of his teenage years.

I still cannot remember/place Degrassi.

Another more recent variant on this type of thing was Everyone Hates Chris.

Degrassi High and its various spinoffs was a Canadian series. I remember RTE showing it mid to late 80's. The characters I recall most were a tall fella called Snake, a cocky Italian-ish lad who wore a pork pie hat and a punk girl who got pregnant (maybe Snakes girlfriend).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Degrassi High and its various spinoffs was a Canadian series. I remember RTE showing it mid to late 80's. The characters I recall most were a tall fella called Snake, a cocky Italian-ish lad who wore a pork pie hat and a punk girl who got pregnant (maybe Snakes girlfriend).

I remember the name well but cannot place it at all. I know The Wonder Years well and was able to recall it and knew the Head of the Class one too. I need to look up Degrassi. Maybe I only heard of it and never saw it?

branie2 wrote: »
    I'd imagine that Anois is Aris was meant for adults

I seem to remember it consisted of comedy sketches or skits in Irish, maybe they were meant to be educational. Frank Kelly was in it, I have a vague recollection of him and another guy dressed as boyscouts and this guy breaking eggs over Frank Kellys head. As it was in Irish I had no idea what was supposed to be going on.

phelant wrote: »
    I saw Banacek reruns once in the 90s I think. Really like it. A show from the 70s that no one else seems to know. It starred George Peppard as an PI with polish heritage. There was always a crazy ‘Polish’ proverb in the show somewhere as well such as

A wise man never tries to warm himself in front of a painting of a fire
    or
    When the wolf is chasing your sleigh, toss him a raisin cookie but don't stop to bake him a cake.
    😀

It gets a mention in Fun Lovin Criminals song Love Unlimited https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TfYcJYfNnf0 41 seconds

I think only one or two seasons of this was ever made before it was canned. Was shown on RTE in early 80s but it's a 1970's production -Petrocelli

Is he getting a sneaky handjob at 19s, she is so close and moving and he is using the yellow line lile his car is a Scalectrex(?) car

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Camberwick Green. Poor Windy Miller unconscious after drinking an entire flagon of cider again. When you look back on it now.... he was a terrible role model :)

Probably how he got the nickname windy

• Advertisement

Is he getting a sneaky handjob at 19s, she is so close and moving and he is using the yellow line lile his car is a Scalectrex(?) car

:eek::eek::eek:

You have just killed my childhood :(

Eleysian wrote: »
    Thank you so much for this link. What a blast from the past. I loved watching this with my brother and the music really brought me back. It had a great cast!

And thanks for replying- I thought i would be the only person here to remember this. :D
    It's what the thread is all about so glad to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

In Bed With MeDinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I'm sure a lot of people remember Timothy Stack as the legendary Dick Dietrich in Nightstand but he also starred in a corny Baywatch spoof called Son Of The Beach which fans of Police Squad might enjoy. I certainly do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Detective series Shoestring starring Trevor Eve

The Campbells, a drama series about a Scottish family in 19'th century Canada. I can't remember much about it and i'd totally forgotten about it till coming across something about it online by chance.

Another series that I remember seeing on RTE in the mid 80's was Coral Island, it was pretty violent for a Childrens series but it had nothing on the book which I had already read beforehand, it had graphic descriptions of cannibalism and guys having their brains bashed in with clubs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Anyone remember Youngline? It was a teenage magazine show on RTE in the mid eighties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Campbells, a drama series about a Scottish family in 19'th century Canada. I can't remember much about it and i'd totally forgotten about it till coming across something about it online by chance.
    Another series that I remember seeing on RTE in the mid 80's was Coral Island, it was pretty violent for a Childrens series but it had nothing on the book which I had already read beforehand, it had graphic descriptions of cannibalism and guys having their brains bashed in with clubs.

I'd forgotten both of them til you mentioned it. Coral Island I remember the sandy beaches and some vague sense of dread.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

I remember Mork and Mindy when first aired, way before Sky 1 :o

Nannoo Nannoo :D

Shazbot :cool:

• Advertisement

Anyone remember Youngline? It was a teenage magazine show on RTE in the mid eighties.
    I still have a Youngline annual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Nightman sky 1 .... a very special/cool show

There's a rumour going around thet Petrocelli is still building that house :pac:. Not surprised really, Susan Howard was a stunner, I'd never get any work done either.:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

madmaggie wrote: »

What year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Detective series Shoestring starring Trevor Eve

My dad and I used to watch that.

I remember one episode that had scalextric cars burning kids eyes out of their heads because there was a faulty batch released onto the market. :pac:

Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sky Bandits or something along those lines.

A once off film in the UK Childrens Film Foundation series.

Bunch of kids who fly remote control planes attach darts to them to take down drug smugglers using planes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Sky Bandits or something along those lines.

A once off film in the UK Childrens Film Foundation series.

Bunch of kids who fly remote control planes attach darts to them to take down drug smugglers using planes.

Sky Pirates.

The BFI have released a lot of CFF on DVD - still waiting on that one.

Nothing To It! a series produced by Gerry Stembridge in 1987 which was sort of half comedy series, half job seekers guide. There were comedy sketches about a group of people sharing a flat, one of whom was Pauline McGlynn, interspersed with interviews with unemployed young people.

Good fun. I wrote a piece about it here

Tony EH wrote: »

What year?
    It's in a box in the attic, but either 78 or 79.

Tony EH wrote: »

What year?
    It's in a box in the attic, but either 78 or 79.
    There was a recipe for gur cake. I made it, it was horrible.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'd forgotten both of them til you mentioned it. Coral Island I remember the sandy beaches and some vague sense of dread.

Couple of scenes I remember from it, one of the tribes in it throw a young girl to sharks in I think a human sacrifice. In another scene a pet cat gets thrown into the sea and the end credits play over its dead body washed up on the beach. It looked like a real dead cat too.

This was on early afternoon from what I recall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

khalessi wrote: »
    the Banana Splits used to be on Saturday morning before The Monkees

Also The Water Margin Japanese series

Well the Banana Splits have changed

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    I'm sure a lot of people remember Timothy Stack as the legendary Dick Dietrich in Nightstand but he also starred in a corny Baywatch spoof called Son Of The Beach which fans of Police Squad might enjoy. I certainly do.

Starring Jamie Bergman as BJ Cummings. She is now Mrs. David Boreanaz. I keep meaning to go back and watch the series, having only seen the odd episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

I remember there being a programme called Hooperman. Cannot remember what it was now though other than the name. I think it was some sort of a detective thing.

I remember there being a programme called Hooperman. Cannot remember what it was now though other than the name. I think it was some sort of a detective thing.

The guy from 3's Company was in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A quick google says your right https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092373/ .

I have 1981 annual. Red cover. Tip on how to get the lid off a pot of jam - put a rubber band around the lid.

Another detective series, Jake and the Fat Man. Very unPC that title!

The fat man of the title was William Conrad, star of Cannon (70's detective show).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Back around 87-88 RTE broadcast a few episodes of a series called Sea Hunt. It starred Ron Ely and Kimber Sissons. An ex SEAL and his daughter out on a yacht diving and getting into various scrapes along the way. Episodes were only 30 mins long. It was a remake of a series starring Lloyd Bridges back in the 50s.

Frank Cannon and some skinny bollix. Enjoyed it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

The fat man of the title was William Conrad, star of Cannon (70's detective show).

There was a spate of those Private Eye series in the 70s. Cannon, Mannix, Banachek(sp?) Longstreet. Only vaguely remember them of course. Honestly :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement