Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

madmaggie wrote: »
    Another detective series, Jake and the Fat Man. Very unPC that title!

Remember this well. Didn't they have Fatman done up as the Batman symbol in the later seasons of it?

Matlock was another of the time and LA Law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

trashcan wrote: »
    There was a spate of those Private Eye series in the 70s. Cannon, Mannix, Banachek(sp?) Longstreet. Only vaguely remember them of course. Honestly :)

Also Barnaby Jones, Griff, Columbo and the best of them all IMO :The Rockford Files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I watch an episode of Cannon every Sunday morning and Barnaby Jones on Sunday evenings. Classics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Anyone remember Youngline? It was a teenage magazine show on RTE in the mid eighties.

Youngline was actually on RTE from the mid/late 1970s. A few schoolmates of mine were given airtime on one edition back then. The programme was also notable for featuring the first ever TV appearance of a then obscure young band called the Hype who would later change their name to U2.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/937-u2/290015-u2-first-television-appearance/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Youngline was actually on RTE from the mid/late 1970s. A few schoolmates of mine were given airtime on one edition back then. The programme was also notable for featuring the first ever TV appearance of a then obscure young band called the Hype who would later change their name to U2.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/937-u2/290015-u2-first-television-appearance/

Presumably the time they appeared as the Hype has been wiped?

Not a programme that I liked, in fact the complete opposite. The Fitz, a BBC NI sitcom by Owen O Neill that aired in 2000. It was dreadful. Jon Kenny and Pat Shortt were in it at the height of their Dunbelieveable's fame. Luckily for them I think most people have forgotten they were in it and I don't think many southern viewers tuned in. Eamon Owens was in it too, he had no luck post-Butcher Boy. He was in this and the Big Bow Wow in quick succession. That's enough to kill any up and coming young actors career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The fat man of the title was William Conrad, star of Cannon (70's detective show).

He was the narrator of The Fugitive as well

Not a programme that I liked, in fact the complete opposite. The Fitz, a BBC NI sitcom by Owen O Neill that aired in 2000. It was dreadful. Jon Kenny and Pat Shortt were in it at the height of their Dunbelieveable's fame. Luckily for them I think most people have forgotten they were in it and I don't think many southern viewers tuned in. Eamon Owens was in it too, he had no luck post-Butcher Boy. He was in this and the Big Bow Wow in quick succession. That's enough to kill any up and coming young actors career.

I remember that programme, half the house was in the republic and the other was in the North, Bronagh Gallagher and the mother from The Snapper was in it too

I remember that programme, half the house was in the republic and the other was in the North, Bronagh Gallagher and the mother from The Snapper was in it too

Eamon Morrissey and Deirdre O Kane were in it too. It had a really good cast but the script and setups stank. The "joke" was that everyone in the family had red hair which I think mostly was conveyed through wigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

Tom Grattan's War. Used to be shown on Anything Goes on a Saturday morning.

Subacio wrote: »
    Tom Grattan's War. Used to be shown on Anything Goes on a Saturday morning.

Nice one, I vaguely remembered bits of that show from when I was young and I'd been trying to find out what it was for years. I knew there was a WW1 connection and the episode I remembered in the most detail had a plane crashing and a Lewis gun being fired from a car. It turns out to be the final episode Sky Patrol, originally transmitted 1970 though when it was probably 79/80 when I saw it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I recently found a show on YouTube that I remembered from years back called anzacs, it’s about the First World War with Paul Hogan in it. I remember seeing it as a kid and my memory is very different to it. Quite enjoyable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Use to watch The Big Breakfast every morning before school and then up early on a Saturday for Live and Kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hotcups

Profiler (on the Super Channel)
    Riptide
    Chocky
    Round the Twist
    Knightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Goodnight Sweetheart with Rodney from Only Fool's and Horses and the barmaid from Ballykissangel in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Goodnight Sweetheart with Rodney from Only Fool's and Horses and the barmaid from Ballykissangel in it.

Currently on (iirc) Forces TV every night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hotcups wrote: »
    Round the Twist

Have you ever
    Ever felt like this
    Strange things happen
    When you're going round the twist

Have you ever
    Ever felt like this
    Strange things happen

I hated that show!! :D but still watched it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It was a bit off the wall iirc. Australian??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Have you ever
    Ever felt like this
    Strange things happen

I remember it! The theme song was actually used on a supermarket ad last Halloween.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It was a bit off the wall iirc. Australian??

I’m pretty sure ilsa Fisher was in it

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure ilsa Fisher was in it

I can't remember her in it? Was it a one off appearance?

The Last Furlong, an RTE "comedy" that was possibly even worse than the Fitz. Simon Delaney wrote and starred in it just after Batchelors Walk. It was dreadful, surprised it didn't end his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

The People vs Jerry Sadowitz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Last Furlong, an RTE "comedy" that was possibly even worse than the Fitz.
    I am wondering if like yourself some are just posting ones which nobody remembers -but don't actually like!

I hated goodnight sweethart and wanted to like it as I like Nicholas Lyndhurst and it was always on some station at a time I watched.

Another horribly forgettable one was My Hero with Ardal O'Hanlon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

rubadub wrote: »
    I am wondering if like yourself some are just posting ones which nobody remembers -but don't actually like!

I hated goodnight sweethart and wanted to like it as I like Nicholas Lyndhurst and it was always on some station at a time I watched.

I think half the posts are just about shows people remember, there have been many that are very well known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

That was shocking, such a poor show after Father Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That was shocking, such a poor show after Father Ted.

I also just see him as Dougal no matter what. There is a crime mystery program he is in and at first I thought it was a comedy.

the clip in the link below is even more like Dougal
    https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/768455/Death-in-Paradise-Ardal-OHanlon-SLAMMED-Kris-Marshall-successor

Crapston Villas. Channel 4 show from the mid 90s which featured these vaguely Spitting Image type puppets.

Gimme Gimme Gimme - that was so annoying. I absolutely hated that.

Game On with Samantha Womack was pretty **** aswell but watchable if nothing else was on. Think it was a kind of rip off of Men Behaving Badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Hotcups wrote: »
    Knightmare
    The kids show, were they wore a helmet that covered their eyes?
    Loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Tammy! wrote: »
    Gimme Gimme Gimme - that was so annoying. I absolutely hated that.

Game On with Samantha Womack was pretty **** aswell but watchable if nothing else was on. Think it was a kind of rip off of Men Behaving Badly.

Funnily enough (or not), I'd put them the other way about. Gimme Gimme Gimme had some good lines but I always thought the cast of Game On seemed very self conscious.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

When I was a kid (35 years ago), my dad had a box that could pick up the BBC and ITV.

So I was obsessed with The Goodies whereas no else knew what I was on (about).

Funnily enough (or not), I'd put them the other way about. Gimme Gimme Gimme had some good lines but I always thought the cast of Game On seemed very self conscious.

I thought it was going to be good originally because I liked Kathy Burke from when she was in Harry Enfield. Perhaps I didnt give it enough of a chance d_m but I tried to watch it a few times and I just found it relied a lot on making silly faces, jumping around and that kind of thing.

I wasn't really a fan of Game On either tbh but I could watch it if there was nothing on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I always thought the cast of Game On seemed very self conscious.

What do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I liked first season of Game On but wasnt a fan of the guy who replaced Ben Chaplin in season 2.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Always enjoyed Harry O.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Another great role for David Janssen

Harry O was class. Two pilots was a sure sign that it would be special. Anthony Zerbe excellent in it too. Love the location shots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

And there are a lot of shows I remember that have become forgotten but I cannot really remember if I liked them or not. Downtown, Hooperman, Hawaiian Heat. There was a Miami Vice ripoff show set in Hong Kong too IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Anyone remember The Burke Enigma?

Can't find any clips online
    My abiding memory of the final episode is good guy being crushed between a lorry and a wall after being asked to check the lights ...

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Anyone remember The Burke Enigma?

Can't find any clips online
    My abiding memory of the final episode is good guy being crushed between a lorry and a wall after being asked to check the lights ...

Half-remembered minutes of one episode - and then being told to go to bed.

Late '70s. Don't think it's ever been repeated. Ideal for Network DVD to release if RTE would surrender the rights as they clearly have no interest in their archive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

And there are a lot of shows I remember that have become forgotten but I cannot really remember if I liked them or not. Downtown, Hooperman, Hawaiian Heat. There was a Miami Vice ripoff show set in Hong Kong too IIRC.

(Tales from) Yellowthread Street

Half-remembered minutes of one episode - and then being told to go to bed.

Late '70s. Don't think it's ever been repeated. Ideal for Network DVD to release if RTE would surrender the rights as they clearly have no interest in their archive.

What is it with RTE and their drama back catalogue? Now and again they'll release a landmark series like Strumpet City, and make a big deal of the fact that they're doing it. Meanwhile numerous series from the 70s/80's from the Year Of The French to Caught In Free State have never been repeated or released on home media and there's no indication that they ever will.

They would rather whinge about the licence fee than show some innovation. It is a cultural thing. No profit motive, no corporate leadership. Noone cares

• Advertisement

What is it with RTE and their drama back catalogue? Now and again they'll release a landmark series like Strumpet City, and make a big deal of the fact that they're doing it. Meanwhile numerous series from the 70s/80's from the Year Of The French to Caught In Free State have never been repeated or released on home media and there's no indication that they ever will.
    They would rather whinge about the licence fee than show some innovation. It is a cultural thing. No profit motive, no corporate leadership. Noone cares

It's genuinely perplexing. I know that Network or Simply would love to release some of it (particularly the stuff that was broadcast in the UK or the Channel 4 co-productions) but RTE don't want to part with any rights.

One excuse I remember them giving was that actors' contracts did not allow for home video releases. As if that was a problem unique to Ireland! Other countries can deal with it so no reason why they can't.

London's Burning was good.

Tammy! wrote: »
    London's Burning was good.

Up to the mid 1990s.
    The pilot film and first five or six series are excellent.

Up to the mid 1990s.
    The pilot film and first five or six series are excellent.

Yes I vaguely remember watching the pilot film and thinking it was great.

The episodes always had a build up and suspense to whatever disaster it was and they had some good long running storylines for the characters too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Three that spring to mind from the BBC after seeing Londons Burning.

Dixon of Dock Green

Z Cars

Softly Softly

Over a 1000 episodes between them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement