Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

Francis Durbridge as a franchise was massive in Germany, hence the 70s Paul Temple series being a German co-pro (and why most of the eps survive only in German dubs).

There was a whole series of German TV adaptations from the 60s to the early 90s, analoguous to the similar film adaptations of Edgar Wallace's mysteries (often with the same actors too). Germans love British mysteries or 'krimi', to the point that the only films found in the Fuhrerbunker were two Sherlock Holmes films, the 1937 German version of Hund von Baskerville and a comedy called The Man who was Sherlock Holmes, starring Heinz Ruhmann, who later in the early 60s appeared as Fr Brown in two German comedy-'krimis' shot here (one of which, featuring 'the Irish Television Service', before Telly Eireann had started airing!).

Apparently, Stanley Tucci recently played Temple in a private radio-style reading of one of the serials to some rich company after-dinner meeting. Cos he lives in England, he can do that thing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Paul Temple was mentioned recently on the thread.

I noticed this on Talking Pictures - can be streamed for a week or so in UK and Ireland, registration is free.

Send For Paul Temple (1946)

https://www.tptvencore.co.uk/Video/Send-For-Paul-Temple?id=3e280380-a6e9-4e28-a50f-15205558257d

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

RTE sometimes found it necessary to stick in filler programmes, often around sporting events.

A popular source seems to be the American ABC series "After School Special". These were dramas aimed at young adults, often with a pretty mature theme.

For example: "Francesca Baby", about a girl with an alcoholic mother, and "Dear Lovey, I am desperate" about a girl running an agony column in a school newspaper. These were shown in 1982

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

They both date from 1976.

In 2006, I bought this DVD set in Texas - those two stories were included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Over the Summer of 1985 RTE showed a series of similar made for tv films which were all produced by the Learning Corporation Of America.

These were aimed at children but they could be pretty heavy going in terms of subject matter and overall vibe. Of the ones I remember watching the Boy Who Liked Deer is the one that stuck with me the most. Won't give away the ending but it was more disturbing than a lot of horror movies I've seen.

• Advertisement

Who remembers the Peig shorts? They were shown as part of the End.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭fluke

Screentest, RTE talent show that ran from 1985 to 87, presented by Mike Murphy and with weekly guest judges. I actually remember watching the below sketch, only came across it again recently on Youtube. At the time I thought I it was hilarious. These kind of Opportunity Knocks type shows had a certain charm, unlike the X Factor type shows of the last twenty years there was a variety of mimes, "comedians" mimics as well as singers. Plus thankfully the cameras didn't go backstage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Charlo30

My favorite segment was I think called "Authentic camcorder stings" it was hilarious.

Mention of "Screentest" reminds me of something.

Some youngish music group were appearing on a talent show of some sort, definitely early eighties. Memory is vague but I think they played a pretty note-perfect cover of Africa by Toto.

The judges (and once again memory is vague but it could be Dave Fanning or Dave Heffernan) completely slagged them off after their performance for not performing an original song.

I remember thinking "what tossers" (i.e. the Daves)

Anyone remember this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Useless pop trivia. Deee-lite sampled the opening credits song of Green Acres for "groove is in the heart". You know the bit that goes "I-I-I-I-I"?

See it here.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/g5_eQMSE9Ws

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

And the theme of "I dream of Jeanie" was sampled in the song (it says here) "Sucker DJ's (I Will Survive)" in 1990. Number one hit played today on RTE Gold.

The remake or reboot of Randall And Hopkirk (Deceased) from 2000/01 with Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer. Big fan of the old ITC series and this inevitably fell flat for me. Havent seen the remake since its original run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

This is the “screen test” I remember - RTÉ could never think of an original title for a show- they always had to copy other TV stations

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_Test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I remember that and think it was BP Fallon. I really felt for the young guys in the group after the way he spoke to them.

Quite possibly, I have a funny feeling there may have been a "panel". Either way I hope they carried on with their careers. I wonder what happened to then?

Interested by US/foreign shows that RTE showed that the UK stations didn't

RTE
    The Picture of Dorian Gray (1973 - ABC)
    Turn of the Screw (1974 - ABC)
    The Secret of Charles Dickens (1978 - CBS)
    Supertrain (1979 - NBC)
    Wilson's Reward (1980 - syndicated)
    Blood and Honor (1982 - syndicated)
    Ripley's Believe it or Not (1982-1984 - ABC)
    Wizards and Warriors (1982 - CBS)
    Johnny Cash - Christmas in Scotland (1982 - CBS)
    Voyagers (1982-1983 - NBC - shown on Sky)
    On Wings of Eagles (1986 - NBC - bought by BBC, nixed by Grade)
    Mission: Impossible (1988 - ABC - shown by satellite stations)
    Nightmare Classics (1989 - Showtime)
    Day One (1989 - CBS/Global - shown on Sky)
    The Kennedys of Massachusetts (1990 - ABC)
    The Hijacking of the Achille Lauro (1991 - NBC - shown on Sky Movies)

The Whiteoaks of Jalna (1974 - CBC - shown in Thames and one or two ITV regions)
    The Canadians eps of Classics Dark and Dangerous (1977 - CBC - only British eps shown by ITV)
    A Gift to Last (1980s - CBC)
    Seeing Things (1980s - CBC)

Danger Bay (1980s - CBC)
    Hoover vs the Kennedys (1987 - CTV)
    Frankenstein's Aunt (1987 - RAI)

On the above topic, Nargun And The Stars, an Aussie children's show. RTE showed it in 1983, I've mentioned it a couple of times in UK tv nostalgia FB sites and it doesn't seem to resonate so maybe not shown there.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Batchelors Walk from 2000, im amazed more people dont know of it when mentioned. Great characters, actors and style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I quite enjoyed that, not hilarious or anything but funny and a nice watch.
    it aired for the first time the same night that they aired the Cassidy’s if I remember right, it was billed as the Irish version of friends and may be the worst thing RTE ever made which is quite a feat.

That's right. The two aired the same night. The Cassidys was very poor, just six episodes made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Trying to remember a children's TV puppet character. She is similar to Rosie and Jim, but the character was a boy, blond (highlighted?) hair and was always getting in trouble.

Rosie and Jim | Little Ducklings & Runaway Rollerblades | Full Episodes (youtube.com)

Similar style to above, I think.

Any ideas? Its wrecking my head.

I asked this elsewhere, but no joy, If you folks could help me out it would be much apricated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Brilliant stuff. I used to love these.

What about the Fragmentary Annals of Ireland? Old 1960s footage dubbed over with silliness.

My scant memories of the Cassidys consist of a promo that RTE ran for it which had the various characters "introducing" themselves, with one of the female characters rubbing her hands together and going "sex,sex,sex,sex,sex" in a cackling Mrs Doyle type voice.

The only other thing I remember about it was in the first few minutes of the opening episode Ed Byrne seemed to get off with one of his sisters on the kitchen table, she was actually his girlfriend but I'd assumed up to then she was one of his multiple sisters. That was about the closest to funny I can remember it getting and it was (I think) unintentional.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Tots TV? Was there a French-speaking girl-puppet?

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F7jl0hsu1sl511.jpg&rdt=39558

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'm a tot, je suis a tot Tilly, Tom and Tiny

Yes Tilly was French

It didn't get shown in the UK. I know Bob Fischer on twitter was saying this, and the only version I can find on British newspaper archives is either listed in the TV listings for 'Eire' in Liverpool papers or a Jackanory.

RTE also showed the PBS drama The Adams Chronicles, which was turned down by the BBC much to PBS' chastisement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭thereiver

Worzel gummage. Very funny itv comedy about as scarecrow aunt Sally was his girlfriend

The prisoner great sci show a former secret agent is trapped in a village Patrick mcgoohan was the main character

• Advertisement

I remember follyfoot it has a great theme tune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Everyone will remember or at least have heard of say Miami Vice, The A Team, The Fall Guy, Hill Street Blues ….. but who remembers Hawaiian Heat, Downtown, Hooperman or Matlock ?? ……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

another kids one from around that time for kids was chock a block…I used to love it, a really trippy set and programme… seeing the below episode for the first time in prob 30+ years, made no sense but was really trippy…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Worztron

Worzel Gummidge: "A cup of tea and a slice of cake!"

I loved that show so much. Happy days.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Dont recall Hawaiian Heat but I remember all the rest.

Yellowthread Street. ITV police drama set in Hong Kong, 89/90. Lasted one series. It looked like they were trying to do a colonial British Miami Vice. All sports cars and guys in designer suits etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Charlo30

Heat of the Sun. British crime drama set in 30's Kenya and stared Trevor Eve as a Detective. Came out in the late 90's. I remember the production values being really good. So they clearly put some cash into it. But it only lasted a season

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Worztron

One Step Beyond (1959–1961) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoa_Presents_One_Step_Beyond

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I remember there was a late 70s reboot called The Next Step Beyond. Saw some off-air episodes when I was in the US 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Glenomra

My wife regularly reminiscences about Green Acres. The lady of the house throwing the ware out the window after a meal rather than washing it intrigued her in particular, in a time where many a rural family rued the loss of a single plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Anyone remember this ?… The Fantastic Journey from 1977.

A Bermuda Triangle experience transports the occupants of a yacht to a mysterious island with multiple time portals where they encounter adventure and people from other worlds and times who got caught up in their own Bermuda Triangle rift.

It starred Roddy McDowell who would have been best known then for the Planet of The Apes films. It was produced by D.C Fontana, script writer and story editor for the original Star Trek series.

• Advertisement

,2 guys and a girl. USA comedy with Ryan Reynolds

The avengers The prisoner UK adventure tv shows

Poldark original UK tv version

Follyfoot 70s . Tv UK show about a woman who worked with horses on a farm it has a great theme tune

I remember green acres man marrys rich spoilt model moves to a small rural town in the USA

Eddy Albert and some forgetten actress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭black & white

Zsa Zsa Gabor I think.

got a repeat on RTE mid 80s.

Network released it on DVD back in the 2000s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Don't know if it was mentioned earlier but "Bearcats" from the 70s starred Rod Taylor and his sidekick going around in a stutz bear cat as mercenaries for hire in the US Mex border region pre ww1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Hot water soup!

Remember it always being rerun on RTE late 70s, 80s. Memorable opening sequence. Was surprised to find that only fourteen episodes were made, including the pilot.

Kodiak, starred Clint Walker as an Alaska State Trooper, he had an elderly Inuit sidekick. Originally aired 1974 and was cancelled mid-run, so only 6 of the 13 episodes have ever been aired. RTE ran it around 1986 or 87.

No,her sister Eva Gabor.

It was actually ahead of its time, with running gags, breaking the fourth wall and general zaniness that was rather unusual for the era.

• Advertisement
Advertisement