Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Dogtanian and the Three Muskethounds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

branie2 wrote: »
    Dogtanian and the Three Muskethounds

Only watched a clip on YouTube yesterday of 80's cartoon intros with that in it.
    Serious nostalgia overload

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

You probably watched 'How" also?

Since you know the Great Egg Race, here's a starter for 10 for you- can you remind me of the name of the kids/teens science TV show that was done like a lecture and the set was like a lecture theatre - nearly sure it was BBC. There was a famous scientist guy who presented it- he had a moustache if Im not mistaken- had a name that phonetically reminds me of the name malcolm muggeridge- but it wasn't Malcolm.
    The name and show will come to me eventually but it sounds like you might be able to help.
    Cheers.:)

Was it at Christmas? Any chance it was one of the Royal Institute lectures? Lots of very famous lecturers on it one the past 60 years!
    http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectures

Watch them back to 1968 here
    http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectures/watch

Speedsie wrote: »
    Was it at Christmas? Any chance it was one of the Royal Institute lectures? Lots of very famous lecturers on it one the past 60 years!
    http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectures

Watch them back to 1968 here
    http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectures/watch

Yeah I remember the lecture series and yes, it's very similar to this format but nearly sure it was a programme as opposed to an annual lecture- If I can think of the name of that presenter as I described, I'd probably get it straightway.

The Houndcats and the Barkleys. I used to watch these cartoons a lot on video.

• Advertisement

Found it. Not BBC, it was UTV/ITV

MAGNUS PYKE was the name i was looking for. (well it had an "M" in it :P )

Think this is the show - Don't Ask Me. - unless there was a later one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45XtTEYqzHY&list=PLCQ7hJspkf9D0jDeKN-uIsBhuxTRuQ2cm&index=3

John Player Tops talent contest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Tenko was brilliant.
    It's available on Amazon now but the quality of dvds is poor, otherwise I'd consider buying it.

Tenko was on the Drama channel recently (last 6 months?) its certainly on their show guide https://drama.uktv.co.uk/shows/tenko/episodes/ so may be on again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Anyone remember "The Girl From Tomorrow"?

Alana, a girl from the year 3000 when the world is an enlightened peaceful utopia, arrives back into the year 1990 in a time machine and meets these australian kids. Then they keep having run ins with these mad lads from the year 2500 when the world is a chaotic dystopian mess.
    A lot of zipping back and forth through time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzkh0d9ro54

Another Australian one we used have was a science and technology show called Beyond 2000.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

The Tommorow People.

Sort of creepy 1970s series about kids with weird powers.

There was also one called Sky about a creepy kid with weird powers but he may have been an alien..it was that long ago I can hardly remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

'Spellbinder' from the mid-1990s.

An Australian boy travels to a parallel world full of castles and magical powers.

He gets through via electrical surges in the outback.

Eventually the villains from the parallel world gain access to Australia.

Joint Australian-Polish production.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    'Spellbinder' from the mid-1990s.

An Australian boy travels to a parallel world full of castles and magical powers.

He gets through via electrical surges in the outback.

Eventually the villains from the parallel world gain access to Australia.

Joint Australian-Polish production.

Everything you have said about it makes me feel glad that I missed it :D

Seems to have got some good reviews though https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112174/ still only one season so I rest my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Also remember Rround the Twist, another auzzie show.

We seemed to having loads of Australian childrens and teenagers shows. What was the deal with that? Had RTE some kind of deal with the Auzzie producers or what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

branie2 wrote: »
    John Player Tops talent contest

I'm still trying to forget that. It was still running up to about 2000-ish I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Misfits of Science.

Number 73.

Airwolf.

Record Breakers.

Tomorrow's World.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭scotchy

Showing my age here.

The first TV program that I remember, in the late 60s, and in black and white.

Romper Room.:rolleyes:

I would cry if my name wasn't called out on through the magic mirror.:o

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Speedsie wrote: »
    With Zsa Zsa Gabor moving to live in the country? Sure do!

Her sister Eva. And Eddie Albert. And Arnold the pig!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Trumpton

Camberwick Green. Poor Windy Miller unconscious after drinking an entire flagon of cider again. When you look back on it now.... he was a terrible role model :)

Fingermouse

Mr. Benn

Button Moon

The Flumps

Pigeon Street

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭wiseoldelf

anyone remember Batfink?
    url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwir6oqj3u3fAhXNQhUIHQ9wAXYQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.retrotvmemories.com%2Fproducts%2Fbatfink-complete-100-episodes-cartoon-dvd-set-very-rare-1966-67&psig=AOvVaw2ydCLjEggesxNElVgTSEG2&ust=1547571241405212

wiseoldelf wrote: »
    anyone remember Batfink?
    url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwir6oqj3u3fAhXNQhUIHQ9wAXYQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.retrotvmemories.com%2Fproducts%2Fbatfink-complete-100-episodes-cartoon-dvd-set-very-rare-1966-67&psig=AOvVaw2ydCLjEggesxNElVgTSEG2&ust=1547571241405212

Searching for that, I did remember Batfink (your image didn't work?) I came across

Augie Doggie

Augie_Doggie.jpg?v=1546957503

I'd have never remembered the name over 50 years on but I can now remember seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Quick Draw McGraw (Wikipedia) and his dog Snuffles.. I think this was a 'thing' we copied in the playground for quite a while..

Would have been RTE2, at a guess.

The Flintstone kids, younger versions of Fred, Wilma, Betty and Barney.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭briany

Wheety wrote: »
    Spent many a night watching crap on tv when everyone else went to bed.

Night Stand With Dick Dietrick - Spoof of Jerry Springer et al
    [/YOUTUBE]

I loved this back then, and still love it now. I don't understand why it's been so badly forgotten because it was absolutely hilarious. I know Phil Hartman did a few turns on this, and many members of the American comedy troupe The Groundlings were involved, playing guests.

I'd love to see it get released on DVD one day. I used to have a collection of VHS rips which I don't mind saying I pirated because there was absolutely no commercial way to get them. And they were decent, too. Unfortunately I lost them after a HD failure. The VHS rips currently floating about are shocking.

I used to like The Jim Rose Twisted Tour on Bravo. This was a documentary series following the eponymous circus show.

I'm With Busey - That was a semi-reality show where a timid TV writer hangs out with Gary Busey and Busey attempts to teach him a life lesson or skill in each episode.

Weebl and Bob - 'lo, Bob. You have pie?

Insomniac with Dave Attell - Stand up comedian Dave Attell finishes his set and then brings a camera crew with him to experience the after-hours delights of his host city.

On the Air - David Lynch's sitcom about the hilarious mishaps at a 1950s TV station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The Adventure Game (1980-1986) (Wikipedia)

This show drove me nuts at times, there was so much twee/cheesy procrastination on it.

The dreaded Vortex..

The intro music was nice though.. (drag the slider to 01:00 minute in..)

Pebble Mill at One (Wikipedia), the first run, very early eighties.. drove me nuts as a kid, remembered for all the wrong reasons, mind numbing.

Don't get me started about: Ivor The Engine (Wikipedia), they should have handed out razor blades before viewing.. this was on late afternoon, heading into 'tea-time', BBC1..

I disliked it so much, I have no idea why.

The Father Dowling Mysteries

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,311 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

scotchy wrote: »
    Showing my age here.

The first TV program that I remember, in the late 60s, and in black and white.

Romper Room.:rolleyes:

I would cry if my name wasn't called out on through the magic mirror.:o

With Miss Helen iirc. That's the first TV programme I remember too. Bloody hell, we're old. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Chopper Squad, The Fantastic Voyage, BJ and the Bear, The Beachcombers, Oscar the Rabbit, Battle of the Planets, Stingray, Hardcastle and McCormick,The Highwayman, Simon and Simon, Dick Turpin, Blakes 7, Automan, The Virginian, Ripleys Believe It or Not, Manimal, Hart to Hart, Scarecrow and Mrs King, Cannon, Rockford Files, Mcmillisn and Wife, F-Troop, Dads Army, The Gemini Man, Man from Atlantis, Chips, The Greatest American Hero

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Scarecrow & Mrs. King

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Manimal

Advertisement