Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought a house want extension on side

• 02-01-2019 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi, we have just gone sale agreed on a house and contracts are going to be signed early next week.

The house is an end terrace and has a good size at the the side of the house and we are thinking of building an extension roughly 40m2, I know we will need planning permission as it is at the side of the house.

My question is, we want have it for my mother to live with us, so it will be attached to our house and she can come in and out of it. We want a small kitchen, bedroom with en-suite and small living room.

Roughly what sort of money would this cost, or are we totally wasting our time thinking we could get anything with thag little solace?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

bri007 wrote: »
    Hi, we have just gone sale agreed on a house and contracts are going to be signed early next week.

The house is an end terrace and has a good size at the the side of the house and we are thinking of building an extension roughly 40m2, I know we will need planning permission as it is at the side of the house.

My question is, we want have it for my mother to live with us, so it will be attached to our house and she can come in and out of it. We want a small kitchen, bedroom with en-suite and small living room.

Roughly what sort of money would this cost, or are we totally wasting our time thinking we could get anything with thag little solace?

Thanks in advance

Good info on prices for various parts of the country on tradesman.ie, see link below:

http://blog.tradesmen.ie/2018/11/house-extension-cost-survey-2018/

You can fit a lot into 40sqm. I recently designed a similar sized granny flat that had kitchen, living, bedroom with ensuite and utility/storeroom. What you need to consider are the mobility requirements of the person who will be living there and whether wheelchair access is required now or some point in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks for your help, yeah it’s for my mum, my father is Sick in hospital and may not be able to come home so I don’t want my mum to be on her own as her health is not the best as well.

I’ll look that up, I was hoping no more than 60k but I know cost of building in this current climate is expensive so I might be dreaming!

Thanks

shane6977 wrote: »
    Good info on prices for various parts of the country on tradesman.ie, see link below:

http://blog.tradesmen.ie/2018/11/house-extension-cost-survey-2018/

You can fit a lot into 40sqm. I recently designed a similar sized granny flat that had kitchen, living, bedroom with ensuite and utility/storeroom. What you need to consider are the mobility requirements of the person who will be living there and whether wheelchair access is required now or some point in the future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for your help, yeah it’s for my mum, my father is Sick in hospital and may not be able to come home so I don’t want my mum to be on her own as her health is not the best as well.

I’ll look that up, I was hoping no more than 60k but I know cost of building in this current climate is expensive so I might be dreaming!

Thanks

60k wont finish a 40 sq m extension unfortunately depending on location.

Where are you based?

Hi, I am based north Dublin, what sort of money would it cost to finish? Roughly?

Thanks
    kceire wrote: »

Where are you based?

Hi, I am based north Dublin, what sort of money would it cost to finish? Roughly?

Thanks

My guess is 70-80.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help. Yeah I was thinking it would be a lot more than I planned.

My guess is 70-80.

Thanks for your help. Yeah I was thinking it would be a lot more than I planned.

Get the Agent out to survey and prepare the plans. You may decide that 40 sq. M is too much and that you can downsize a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Where are you based?

Why would location be much of an issue?

Assuming they aren't on an island or up a mountain, they already own the land, the materials cost much the same regardless of where they are?

I have my Surveyor calling out to the house end of next week and I’ve asked him to have a look at what options we have building wise, would he be able to give a rough price and general guideline what we are able to build or not build?

Get the Agent out to survey and prepare the plans. You may decide that 40 sq. M is too much and that you can downsize a bit.

Why would location be much of an issue?

Assuming they aren't on an island or up a mountain, they already own the land, the materials cost much the same regardless of where they are?

Nope.
    A builder in Dublin can be anything up to twice as expensive as a Builder in Sligo for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Nope.
    A builder in Dublin can be anything up to twice as expensive as a Builder in Sligo for example.

Really, that much of a difference?

What's that based on, just supply and demand is it? Dublin builder has more people competing for his services, and so will have less trouble finding another job if his quote get's refused?

Really, that much of a difference?

What's that based on, just supply and demand is it? Dublin builder has more people competing for his services, and so will have less trouble finding another job if his quote get's refused?

Higher labor costs
    higher materials costs in most places
    higher costs in general (skips, waste, machinery hire)
    In more demand, builders can afford to not bother quoting for work.
    I sent out a tender in December, only one builder came back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 erada

Extension less than 40m2. I have recently bought a lovely old terraced house and intend to put an extension of less than 40m2 to the rear. I understand that i shouldn't need planning permission but does anyone know if there will be a height restriction, it will be well below the original ridge line? Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Gumbo wrote: »
    Nope.

But a builder from outside Dublin might offer a better quote and be happy for the business.

erada wrote: »
    Extension less than 40m2. I have recently bought a lovely old terraced house and intend to put an extension of less than 40m2 to the rear. I understand that i shouldn't need planning permission but does anyone know if there will be a height restriction, it will be well below the original ridge line? Thank you.

Question answered in your other thread on the same subject.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

erada wrote: »

1 post per topic is enough thanks. Have a read of the forum charter thanks

Advertisement