Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick FC 2019 Season

• 02-01-2019 1:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭

Come the new year, come the new thread.

After our relegation in November, we will play in Division 1 this season.

And the season ahead looks pretty bleak. At the moment, we have a manager, but not much of a squad. We have lost Shane Duggan to Waterford. We have signed Robbie Williams and Sean Russell, and Shane Tracy, Sean Kelly, Will Fitzgerald, Karl' O Sullivan are all staying for the next season. There are some other players also, can't remember them all, but the squad is pretty weak.

Not only that, but Bray and Shelbourne in particular look strong this season, while Drogheda have held on to most of their decent players. I don't think Limerick will be challenging for anything on the pitch this season, not even close to it.

Off the pitch, we continue to be a mess. We have no money, no idea where money will come from, and not even sure where we will be playing next season.

Some information for fans:

Fixtures
    The season starts on Friday February 22nd, at home to Longford Town. You can see a full list of fixture here. Division 1 fixtures start on page 10. We are listed as playing in the Market's Field for now.

Tickets
    The club hasn't updated its website in ages, or released any information on tickets, so not much info here. Without knowing where we will play, I suppose that's not easy. But I certainly hope they release some info and make season tickets available soon. At the moment they are not answering calls or emails, which is a really bad sign.

Wherever we play, tickets can be always bought outside the ground on matchday.

Support
    You can follow the club and developments through their website, and also through the facebook page, and on twitter.

As a supporter, you can also get involved with the Blue Army, or the Limerick Independent Football Trust (LIFT). There is also the Limerick FC Independent Supporters' Club. I am not how active the latter two are. The Official Supporters' Club doesn't exist any more.

For away games, the Blue Army try to organise buses as much as possible, and being a member increases your chances of getting a seat. The Blue Army will probably have a stall set up to accept membership for the first few home games.

Sponsorship
    For those of you who have money to burn, the club would love if you sent it their way, and there are a range of ways to sponsor the club, which you can find here: http://www.limerickfc.ie/commercial/sponsorship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

So much uncertainty. Hopefully things improve for the club in 2019!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

As far as I know Shane Tracy hasn't re-signed with the club. Players signed to senior contracts I think are Holland, Brady, Kelly, Brouder, Sean Russell, Robbie Williams, Colm Walsh O’Loghlen, Adam Foley, Ger Barry, Willie Fitz, Karl O’Sullivan, Aaron Fitz and Ellis.

And speaking of Robbie Williams, not 100% whether it was him or not that I passed because this lad looked like Robbie but only bigger. The lad has always had a big frame, could probably be good fitness wise but still have a bulky frame but if this was Robbie then it's the biggest I've ever seen him. If he was brought back with the intentions of just being a coach then excellent but if Tommy has him down as a starter it's operation transformation he needs before the season starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

As far as I know Shane Tracy hasn't re-signed with the club. Players signed to senior contracts I think are Holland, Brady, Kelly, Brouder, Sean Russell, Robbie Williams, Colm Walsh O’Loghlen, Adam Foley, Ger Barry, Willie Fitz, Karl O’Sullivan, Aaron Fitz and Ellis.
    I might have been wrong on Tracy, I was just going on memory.

Not to worry about Williams, he is the consummate professional and will be in peak condition no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Pre-season starts Saturday I think. Still need a lot more players and pre-season games which definitely won't be held in UL this year.

Andrew Cuneen on twitter suggesting things are afoot.

https://twitter.com/Cunneen92/status/1080779517877276672
    Big movement expected at Limerick FC in the coming weeks - an entire restructuring which will see the club actually live within its means for the first time in well over a decade. The most important step for them was gutting the place, and it's now likely to happen.

I don't know how to embed a tweet but if anybody can explain how to that, thanks.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    I don't know how to embed a tweet but if anybody can explain how to that, thanks.
    Just paste the link and it'll do the rest!

Breifne Earley is the new General Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭mart 23

I have a feeling the poster is waiting for the first idiot to ask who is Breifne Earley.

mart 23 wrote: »
    I have a feeling the poster is waiting for the first idiot to ask who is Breifne Earley.
    I know about as much about him as the next fella. Was with Sligo previously apparently.

• Advertisement

We're away to Waterford in a pre-season friendly on January 27th.

https://twitter.com/AherneMike95/status/1081181384243335168?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

If we can keep Williams out of the pub and the bookies he'll be a solid D1 player.

One of his first major jobs should be repairing links with UL and getting a working relationship with them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just four days after being confirmed as Limerick FC's new General Manager, Breifne Earley has stepped down from his role, stating that the "discussions have broken down irretrievably" and that he will "no longer be continuing with the role"

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/356520/limerick-fc-general-manager-leaves-role-days-after-starting.html

Either Pat O'Sullivan is looking for a kings ransom for a club that's worthless or the debts are than expected.

Two more lads signed up tonight, both ex players in Jason Hughes and Sean McSweeny. Hughes has experience at both premier and first division while McSweeny played a few games in 2016. Going by Limerick Junior Soccer website he's only got a 11 goals this season at junior level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Half time in friendly, Cork City 2 - 0 up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Finished 5 - 0

Luke Kiely and Charlie Fleming were our triallists I assume.

Can't see why we're playing teams like Cork in pre season. Given how low things are around the club the last thing you need is getting thumped by teams in pre season.

• Advertisement

Luke Kiely and Charlie Fleming were our triallists I assume.

[URL]

Along with Darren Murphy who was also playing. Kiely played with Shamrock Rovers 19s last season, I've never seen him play but must be somewhat decent if Rovers brought him into their underage and seems to be a winger. Fleming came through the Cobb underage and played the last three seasons with their senior team, he's a RB but has also filled in at CB for some games. Interesting to see that Shaun Kelly wasn't playing today (possibly working) and no Craig Donnellan who some have said was training with the club.

The Limerick FC Team For Today’s Game vs Cork City

First Team
    Tommy Holland
    Sean Russell
    Charlie Fleming
    Robbie Williams
    Killian Brouder
    Aaron Fitzgerald
    Jason Hughes
    Karl O’Sullivan
    Connor Ellis
    Sean McSweeney
    William Fitzgerald

Bench
    Ger Barry
    Colm Walsh O’Loghlen
    Tomas O’Connor
    Adam Foley
    Darren Murphy
    Luke Kiely
    Jack Brady
    Edmond O'Dwyer
    Lee Devitt
    Sean Madigan

Load of young lads, especially on the bench.

Along with Darren Murphy who was also playing. Kiely played with Shamrock Rovers 19s last season, I've never seen him play but must be somewhat decent if Rovers brought him into their underage and seems to be a winger. Fleming came through the Cobb underage and played the last three seasons with their senior team, he's a RB but has also filled in at CB for some games. Interesting to see that Shaun Kelly wasn't playing today (possibly working) and no Craig Donnellan who some have said was training with the club.
    Shaun Kelly is in New York.

Red Hanlon signed up for the 2019 season.

Limerick lost 2-1 to Finn Harps in a friendly (yesterday I think. I wasn't at it, as I didn't even know it was on at all).

We went ahead early through Sean McSweeney, but they came back to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

osarusan wrote: »
    I might have been wrong on Tracy, I was just going on memory.

Not to worry about Williams, he is the consummate professional and will be in peak condition no doubt.
    Robbie done ok v CCFC at the farm

Match was on Saturday evening. Be interesting to know from anyone that was there how strong the Harps team was for the game. On paper it's not a bad result given how much we've been weakened compared to Harps in the off season.

More pre-season friendlies.

A few days ago: Limerick 6-1 University of Limerick.

Today: Waterford 4-0 Limerick.

Whoever thought it was a good idea which such a poor squad and especially a young squad to organise games away to Cork and Waterford so we can get spanked away from home need their head examined.

• Advertisement

Shane Tracy signed back for what is his 12th season with the club. Good to have someone with his experience among the group of youngsters, like Robbie I'd love to see the club have him and Kells involved with the underage side. It's been the one thing the club has been poor at trying to get ex players to stay around the club in some capacity.

LIT 1-10 Limerick.

Away to Cobh next Saturday.

Gary Matthews trialled with us today and he was damn good too.

Was very impressed by Jason Hughes, Robbie Williams could've knocked balls down the channel for him to run into all day long.

Conor Ellis scored five of which two were penalties and one was a deflection. He is still unconvincing as a striker despite being technically decent.

It's confirmed that we'll be at the Markets Field this season. Hopefully the rent got a bit cheaper.

Still no way to buy season tickets though.

Pre-season friendly: Cobh 0-1 Limerick.

Red Hanlon with the goal.

Gary Matthews was the trialist, played against LIT also. Given he was surplus to requirements at Galway I doubt we'd be signing him. Not playing Longford (who've been really impressive this pre season) until Friday week. Squad that's signed so far, either we're light in defence or I'm missing one or two;

Goalkeeper

Tommy Holland
    Jack Brady

Defenders

Shaun Kelly (Captain)
    Shane Tracy
    Sean Madigan
    Thomas O'Connor
    Killian Brouder
    Robbie Williams

Midfielders

William Fitzgerald
    Karol O'Sullivan
    Sean Russell
    Lee Devitt
    Edmond O'Dwyer
    Ger Barry
    Colm Walsh O'Loghlen
    Jason Hughes
    Aaron Fitzgerald

Forwards

Sean McSweeney
    Conor Ellis
    Adam Foley
    Kieran Hanlon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

On paper its not the worst squad ever but much depends on what sort of Robbie Williams we have. Imperative we have a strong core defense. Probably need to sign a good solid central midfielder as well.

damowill wrote: »
    On paper its not the worst squad ever but much depends on what sort of Robbie Williams we have. Imperative we have a strong core defense. Probably need to sign a good solid central midfielder as well.

Well he's been to every early morning S&C session the club had and think those start at 8am which I don't think any of Cork or Dundalk start that early. Shows that lads are committed training that early for an amateur team and getting paid pittance compared to playing Junior football and training twice a week in the evening with a match Sunday morning and making similar money.

Don't think we'll be signing anyone unless clubs are generous enough to loan us players with wages covered or at least 95% covered. Players from junior teams would need to register as professional players since Feb 1st so don't think we'll see any other junior players being brought in until the summer.

From the club's twitter and FB pages:
    Limerick FC are pleased to announce that a local consortium have committed to financially supporting the club throughout the 2019 season .This support is to ensure financial stability going forward and to prepare the club for a mutually agreeable take over at the end of 2019.

No idea who it is or how much it is. But can't be bad news at least.

Hopefully whoever it is they are more open about working with fans and if any fans can offer their services for stuff to be done.

If any of the lads that were "advising" Pat O'Sullivan are somehow involved with this new crowd then it's doomed to failure.

One of the guys involved in the consortium apparently. It's a good start as Jamie himself is a footballing man and his own business has recently sponsored the LDSL so he's committed to local sports.

https://twitter.com/jamiedaly/status/1095034636823158784

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Was he involved with the Limerick Toy Show?

[URL]

New sponsor on the home jersey. Nice and simple design, looks better than the betting companies logo especially if we stick with the green away jersey.
    bigpink wrote: »
    Was he involved with the Limerick Toy Show?

Haven't a clue but know he organised the charity match with the Moyross monks.

Darren Murphy has re-signed with the club. Adds some much needed to steel defensively to midfield which is something we lacked big time with the other central midfield players signed. Centre back could be a major problem if Williams gets injured because I don't think we played anyone else in defence in pre season bar the three named in the squad and think Jason Cross is still recovering from ACL surgery last October.

Goalkeeper

Tommy Holland
    Jack Brady

Defenders

Shaun Kelly (Captain)
    Shane Tracy
    Thomas O'Connor
    Killian Brouder
    Robbie Williams

Midfielders

William Fitzgerald
    Karol O'Sullivan
    Sean Russell
    Lee Devitt
    Edmond O'Dwyer
    Ger Barry
    Colm Walsh O'Loghlen
    Jason Hughes
    Aaron Fitzgerald
    Darren Murphy

Forwards

Sean McSweeney
    Conor Ellis
    Adam Foley
    Kieran Hanlon

Tickets are now up online for sale on eventmaster, prices are €12 for the main stand and €10 for standing.

https://eventmaster.ie/event/Rl7iL5h76

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Presume you can still buy stand tickets outside the ground before kick off does anyone know?

Presume you can still buy stand tickets outside the ground before kick off does anyone know?

Yup you should be able to buy them outside the ground but prices increase to €15 (stand) and €12 (terrace) on match days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Nobody doing the Twitter for the club tonight.

Couldn't make the game tonight, but at least Mike aherne is doing online community at least

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Nobody doing the Twitter for the club tonight.

Couldn't make the game tonight, but at least Mike aherne is doing online community at least

Whoever is doing the Twitter probably volunteering doing something else tonight given there doesn't seem to be many around, nobody even scanned my ticket going in.

Not missing much, very scrappy game as expected given the pre season and there's a wind that would shave ya, ****ing freezing over on the popular side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Whoever is doing the Twitter probably volunteering doing something else tonight given there doesn't seem to be many around, nobody even scanned my ticket going in.

Not missing much, very scrappy game as expected given the pre season and there's a wind that would shave ya, ****ing freezing over on the popular side.

Yeah it sounds awful from the commentary.

Is there still the same negative vibe around the place like last season? I really grow to hate going up last year. It was depressing and so negative (the worst I've ever experienced, and I was up in Hogan park during the Danny Drew days). I can take bad football, but negative attitudes from the club and all the fans is a different kettle of fish.

PS could you post the line up when you get a chance

• Advertisement
Advertisement