Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2019 Season

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

FAI can be pretty slow enforcing suspensions, wouldn't be surprised if he's available for Cabo if the game actually happens and the suspension to take affect for the Athlone game.
    Effective from May 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Effective from May 20.

They'll be going on strike anyway so handy game for him to serve his suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

pat will pull another few cheques out of his arse to keep the house of cards standing for another week or two.

May's wages will be due June 7, so even if they do get paid this week it'll be another scramble by Pat for the next batch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

osarusan wrote: »
    Cobh 2-3 Limerick

(Murphy 2, Tracy)

You know, considering all the crap they've been through regarding wages and stability, there's a lot to admire about this team, a lot of fight about them.

We were the better team in the first half and after surviving an early offside Cobh goal, we went ahead though a Murphy penalty after a foul on Robbie Willams. We were 2-0 up at the break after Shane Tracy scored a rebound from a McSweeney shot a couple of minutes before halftime.

Cobh came right back into it in the second half, scoring 2 goals in 10 minutes to level things. According to Limerick FC facebook updates it was end to end stuff and Brady had to make some saves, but we got the win thanks to another Darren Murphy penalty with 10 minutes to go.

Next game: home to Cabinteely, Friday May 24th, 7.45pm...unless the players go on strike as promised. Which, if they still have not been paid, they absolutely should do.

I see there is allegations of match fixing and betting irregularities on this game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

jonski wrote: »
    I see there is allegations of match fixing and betting irregularities on this game

Yes, for the second time this season. The first was the 2-0 loss away to Shelbourne.

This time it would focus on the Cobh players, seeing as they lost the game, and probably the two players who gave away penalties (both of whom are ex-Limerick players!).

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

It will be very hard to prove that match fixing has taken place unless investigators get access to phone records. Athlone Town two years were being investigated by the FAI. Two players were banned for 12months but it would seem that there was little evidence against them. Think the goalkeeper in that case is now taking the FAI to the Court of Arbitration for damages.

Limerick also had a situation I remember last year against Waterford. There was very odd beating in that match aswell. This, the Shelbourne game added to the fact that Limerick were being sponsored by all things a Turkish betting company last year does raise questions.

It will be very hard to prove that match fixing has taken place unless investigators get access to phone records. Athlone Town two years were being investigated by the FAI. Two players were banned for 12months but it would seem that there was little evidence against them. Think the goalkeeper in that case is now taking the FAI to the Court of Arbitration for damages.
    Weren't the two Athlone Town lads foreigners who had trotted around the globe fixing games?

Big loss is Gary. Sound lad and a top class coach too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

If the Blue Army is going to start issuing political statements then they'd be better off telling people what they think about the various aspects of the current financial crisis at the club rather than endorsing a business man standing for election who has made a strategic business decision to support some of their group's activities in order to build "good will" among Limerick FC fans generally in order to entice more people to drink in his premises before and/or after a match at the Markets Field.

Being a fan is important to me. But some things, like housing, transport/roads, childcare, planning, etc. are more important to me when it comes to voting in an election than whether a few lads managed to make it to an away match or not.

I don't believe in "keep politics out of sport", but if your going to get political then you should be talking about the issues. And there are plenty of issues:
    * what needs to be done about the non/late payment of players' wages?
    * how should we react to a players' strike, if it happens?
    * what if the club tries to ignore a strike (draft in scabs)?
    * should the FAI be doing anything?
    * how should the club be run in order to prevent such crises happening again and again?
    No mention of these or any other issues in that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

redron74 wrote: »
    If the Blue Army is going to start issuing political statements then they'd be better off telling people what they think about the various aspects of the current financial crisis at the club rather than endorsing a business man standing for election who has made a strategic business decision to support some of their group's activities in order to build "good will" among Limerick FC fans generally in order to entice more people to drink in his premises before and/or after a match at the Markets Field.

Being a fan is important to me. But some things, like housing, transport/roads, childcare, planning, etc. are more important to me when it comes to voting in an election than whether a few lads managed to make it to an away match or not.

I don't believe in "keep politics out of sport", but if your going to get political then you should be talking about the issues. And there are plenty of issues:
    * how should the club be run in order to prevent such crises happening again and again?

Which candidate is that

redron74 wrote: »

Why should a fans group be issuing statements about how the club should be ran, it's not a fans owned club and the egotistical maniac that is Pat O'Sullivan wouldn't listen to you anyway if you tried to tell him any of this.

I don't like Jerry O'Dea as a person but don't see what's wrong if the lads wanted to support him. They are an independent fans group and have no officall connections to Limerick FC so it's not like the club are asking you to vote for Jerry and I don't think I heard people complaining about the election posters that are inside the markets field. As I said I don't like Jerry O'Dea but he's a councillor and a councillor for the party who'll probably be next in government. If the club had any sense they'd be making friends with these people that have political connections. It's not my cup of tea but you gotta play the game and have friends with a bit of pull.

As for your issues:

Pat O'Sullivan should pay them and Sean Russell's medical expenses. There's really no other answer. If his answer is well I haven't got the money then why is he still running the place and driving away people that helped him out financially and would still be there helping him out financially but left because Pat was being Pat.

We should support the players if they strike. It's kind of a simple answer really because I don't think you could react any other way. Hardly gonna get upset with the players for refusing to play until they get what they are owed.

Boycott the club. It's a strike and nobody should cross the picket line. Heck if the lads don't strike then people should boycott regardless until the circus finally shuts

LOL. If the FAI had done their job in the first place then Pat O'Sullivan shouldn't have been given a license this season.

Look at everything Pat O'Sullivan has done and then do the opposite. That's the simple way to answer it because I could write an essay on what the club should and shouldn't do but what's the point because I'll never own the club and knowing our luck Sean Conner will be next in line to drag the club through the mud.

So I don't see why a fans group should be releasing statements about these issues and they've already said many times what they think about the current situation. Because even if the Blue Army group did do that you'll still have fans moaning about them because they hate the group and dislike them more than what Pat O'Sullivan is doing. They started a go fund me for Sean Russell and probably organise some sort of fund raising night, was talking to a fella the other day about what's happening at the club and mentioned to him about the go fund me and his response was "I wouldn't give them the steam off my piss. If anybody else was trying to raise money I'd help in a heartbeat but not those scumbags". There's people who'd rather see someone like Sean Russell suffer just because they dislike the group that started helping to raise money for him. If they released a statement about the issues you raised and made some very vaild points you'll still have lots of people moaning about whatever they said just because of their dislike for the group.

Limerick 1-0 Cabinteely

(Ellis)

A late ending with a bit of drama tonight at the Market's Field as a floodlight failure meant we were not sure if the game would be abandoned or not.

We were the better team for the first half, used the ball well, and created the better chances. Hanlon glanced a header wide and Ellis had a shot saved after a beautiful ball over the top by the excellent McSweeney.

We went ahead after 30 minutes when Hanlon crashed a shot off the crossbar from an acute angle, and Ellis reacted quickest to dive and head the rebound over the line. Cabinteely's only real chances came from us giving the ball away at the back, but we were able to get tackles in.

In the second half Cabinteely have more of the ball and looked more dangerous, but Brouder and Williams were excellent in defence and headed balls away all night. Brady made a couple of saves when called upon, and we threatened on the break too, with a Karl O'Sullivan cutback for Ellis our best chance, but the keeper saved well.

It was obviously darkening, and we could see staff working on the generators, and eventually the ref stopped the game with 10 minutes to go as it was quite dark. After a delay of about 15 minutes, and with the PA telling people to hold on to their ticket stubs, the generators finally got going, to the disgust of the Cabinteely manager, who was hoping for an abandonment.

Cabinteely played something like a 3-1-6 formation as they tried to grab an equaliser but we dealt with them fairly comfortably and butchered a couple of good opportunities on the break to seal it.

Great result and a great performance against the league leaders (albeit Longford have 2 games in hand).

Next game: away to Athlone, Friday May 31st, 7.45pm.

Athlone 1-1 Limerick

(Ellis)

Poor enough result against lowly Athlone tonight.

We never got into it in the first half, and Athlone took the lead after 20 minutes. We were not helped with an injury and substitution for Red Hanlon either.

We finally got going in the second half and started to create. We got an equaliser on the hour from Conor Ellis, and you might hope that we'd push on from there.

Worst of all was my phone kept going all night long with updates, but they were all from Bohs' wild 5-3 win over Finn Harps, and none of the updates were from Athlone, where it finished 1-1, with Limerick surviving a penalty claim right at the death.

Next game: home to Galway, Saturday June 8th, 6.30pm (note the different day and time)

Limerick 2-1 Galway

(Devitt, Hanlon)

A real game of two halves as Limerick came from behind to grab all 3 points.

Limerick were poor in the first half, created very little, and Galway had the better of midfield. They didn't create much either, just one chance, but they scored that chance - their winger beat Shane Tracy and fired a ball flat across the six yard box that was crashed into the net.

It was a completely different game in the second half. We pressed and caused them no end of problems. We equalised on 50 minutes when good work from Ellis and Sean Kelly ended with Kelly curling in a low cross to the near post where Lee Devitt arrived first to poke home under the keeper.

Ellis had a powerful header graze the crossbar soon after, as we kept up the pressure. An we were 2-1 up on the hour when Sean McSweeney swung in a cross, and Red Hanlon, who was jostling for position with the centreback, somehow swung out a leg and, with his heel or ankle or something, sent the ball agonisingly slowly into the bottom corner.

We could have had more, as Ellis twice got in behind the defence and forced good saves from the keeper, but we saw it out comfortably enough anyway.

We move up to 4th in the table. So impressive for a squad that has been treated so badly.

Next game: away to Wexford, Friday June 14th, 7.45pm

Wexford 0-0 Limerick

Disappointing to only get a point away to the bottom team in the table.

Reports suggest the game was a fairly low-key affair, with Limerick shading the first half without creating much.

Second half sounded similar, except both sides created a bit more. Wexford hit the post early in the half, and we came close through Shane Tracy and Red Hanlon, but couldn't get the breakthrough.

One positive was the return of Will Fitzgerald after a long term injury. Once he's fit he'll be one of the best players in the division.

Next game: home to Shelbourne, Friday June 21st, 7.45pm

Will there be a team there after the break?

• Advertisement

Limerick 0-1 Shelbourne

Table-toppers Shelbourne were gifted 3 points by Limerick tonight.

First half was fairly even, with Shels passing the ball around nicely but creating very little up front. Limerick didn't offer much up front either, until Red Hanlon went down under a challenge for a fairly soft penalty. Darren Murphy tried a panenka, but his attempt at a floated chip down the middle ended up easily clearing the crossbar, to the disgust of the home crowd.

And things got worse before half time. Killian Brouder left an overhit pass to keeper Brady to shepherd over the endline, but Shels forward Kilduff managed to keep the ball in play and then finish into the empty net. A real joke of a goal to give away.

In the second half we huffed and puffed, but the lack of quality up front was obvious, especially as Red Hanlon's fitness waned. We never created any real chances, and even though Shels didn't either, they saw it out comfortably enough.

No sign of Will Fitzgerald or Sean Kelly on the bench, and no announcement that they are unavailable for any reason, so you wonder if they are still with the club. Bleak times.

Next game: home to Longford, Friday July 5th, 7.45pm

The midseason transfer window opened today, and so far Will Fitzgerald, Killian Brouder and Colm Walsh-O'Loghlen have left the club.

Every chance a few more will join them, anybody who can get another club, or is just sick of it all.

Would Will Fitz move college if he's going up to Dublin?

Would Will Fitz move college if he's going up to Dublin?

Could move college or could do it part time if he's training full time if that's an option, think he has a year or two left. If I was UCD I'd be onto him about a scholarship, offer him the chance to finish his studies and maybe do his master's.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

You would think this would be the death knell of the club now. Pat O'Sullivan has let Limerick down by hanging on to the reigns. He could have left with some grace and thanks last year but instead he will be know as a greedy self servant fool. He has played the whole thing terribly. Spending heavily in the 1st division. Destabilising the club by removing Martin Russel and influencial players and bringing in a managerial team on big bucks from England who didnt care. Perhaps alot of this was down to bad advice but it still doesn't excuse him by not removing himself from the club when it became apparent he could no longer fund it.

You would think this would be the death knell of the club now. Pat O'Sullivan has let Limerick down by hanging on to the reigns. He could have left with some grace and thanks last year but instead he will be know as a greedy self servant fool. He has played the whole thing terribly. Spending heavily in the 1st division. Destabilising the club by removing Martin Russel and influencial players and bringing in a managerial team on big bucks from England who didnt care. Perhaps alot of this was down to bad advice but it still doesn't excuse him by not removing himself from the club when it became apparent he could no longer fund it.

That frauds sacking was long overdue.

That frauds sacking was long overdue.
    Here here.

Could Clyde O'Connell go straight into the eleven tomorrow?
    Unless we have more signings that we won't find out about until kick-off tomorrow.

Has Jason Hughes and/or Darren Murphy left the club, that would be the only way Clyde O'Connell starts. Though Clyde was like Tommys love child at youth level so wouldn't be shocked to see him put straight into the starting 11 especially if others are just waiting around for moves to be finalised.

• Advertisement

We'd 16 on last week's matchday squad, two of the starting eleven are injured and one has left the club. Shaun Kelly isn't fit either. Could be looking at a thin squad

Advertisement