Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2019 Season

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Slattz78 wrote: »
    Any body know where I could buy previous limerick 37 shirts from the previous 5 years?
    Thanks..

eBay would probably be your best bet or you could shoot Jack himself an email to see if he's got any leftover merchandise.

http://www.mccarthyllc.com/attorneys

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Slattz78

Ha.. I'd say I would be waiting a while for the reply..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Slattz78

I already checked Ebay. But thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Limerick 4-1 Wexford

(Tracy penalty, O'Sullivan, Foley, Devitt)

Limerick's final home game of the season was one of the easiest of the whole season against bottom-of-the-table Wexford.

We fielded a bunch of young players, some of whom I didn't recognise at all, but they gelled well. Wewere ahead within a minute. From our first attack, Lee Devitt played a ball in behind the defence and Andy Quaid (I think) was bundled over in the box, with Shane Tracy converting the penalty.

We kept pressing, and had a couple more decent chances before we went 2-0 up, when a ball into the box found its way to Karl O'Sullivan, who steadied himself before burying a left foot shot low past the keeper.

It was 3-0 early in the second half. Some nice interplay on the edge of the Wexford box set up Adam Foley in behind the defence for a tap-in , and it was 4-0 not long after, when a delicate pass put Lee Devitt in, and he crashed home a near post finish from a narrow angle. We had more chances, Wexford had some chances, and they finally took one with 5 minutes to go, when poor Limerick defending allowed them a free near post header from a cross.

Not a bad way to finish our home game this season, and seeing as how Shels won the division tonight, we might not take such a hammering in our final game next Friday, although we have the rearranged fixture with Galway to come first.

Next game: away to Galway, Moday Sept 16th, 7.45pm.

Galway 3-2 Limerick

(McSweeney, Devitt)

Galway snatched a 90th minute winner tonight in Terryland, against a Limerick team that could only manage 3 outfield substitutes.

Galway had the better of it for most of the game, hitting the post early on and forcing Brady into numerous good saves, and it was thanks to him that Limerick made it to the break at 0-0.

On the hour though, Galway were ahead thanks to a long range shot. We fought our way back into the game and found a breakaway equaliser through McSweeney, and were on top for a period. But Galway retook the lead on 83 minutes with a goal from a corner, and even though Lee Devitt forced a late equaliser from a corner, there was still time for Galway to win it in the final minute.

Next game: final game of the season away to Shelbourne, Friday September 23rd, 7.45pm.

• Advertisement

In other news, Darren Murphy has left the club to sign for a local team in Cork, and the club and appointed examiner have invited 'Expressions of interest' from any interested investors.

Good luck with that.

Shelbourne 7-0 Limerick

I posted last week that as Shels had already won the league, perhaps it would mean less of a hammering for us tonight, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

It was 2-0 at half-time, but the floodgates opened in the second half and they added another 5 as we disintegrated in the face of the top team in full flow and in celebratory mood.

That's it for another season. Considering the awful financial troubles, to even make it to the end of the season is quite an achievement for the players and especially the management team.

Now we enter another offseason full of confusion, as there is asolutely no way Limerick will get a LOI licence with Pat O'Sullivan at the club, and he doesn't look like he is ready to simply walk away, so I wonder will we see 'another' Limerick FC appear, along the lines of Limerick 37 a few years ago.

Bleak times this season, and probably bleak times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Well done on another super year of reporting on this thread Osarusan.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

Ya fair play osarusan its being a trying year for the club but appreciate the match reports.

I hope that an individual or some group can take over the club from Pat O'Sullivan, but with reported depts of €490,000 it looks extremely unlikely. Limerick city and the mid west as a whole needs a functioning senior club in the LOI.

Pat has to realise that he cant hold out any longer. He has to sell the club for a token fee. If he fails to sell then he will be know as a failure. The club will die and all he has done and invested will have been for nothing.

If he fails to sell then he will be know as a failure.
    He already is a failure, that ship has sailed.
    You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Do Limerick FC still have the facility in Bruff?

In today's market, it must be worth a few million Euro.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Fairly sure it belongs to POS

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Limerick don't own it, only tenants and doubt it's worth that much. Parts of it are a protected building so not much you can do with it. Great idea in theory but poor location.

Could be a good location for summer camps if pitches, artificial and grass pitches were developed along with the old indoor school hall for futsal.

Limerick FC's U19s today with the bare 11 that included two U17s and their first choice goalkeeper playing outfield.
    Lost 8-2.

https://twitter.com/LimerickFCie/status/1175744606954229761?s=19

Apologies in advance if this sounds like a stupid question, please indulge me and treat me like a novice here but it's still a genuine question:
    Why as a Limerick fan of 35 years am I supposed to be even more worried now that POS is talking to Danny Drew?

I get it that most fans would love to put on the old blue tinted goggles and pretend it's been the same club in continuous existence since 1937, but let's be honest, from a legal and business perspective it isn't. POS "hanging around" Danny Drew may as well be the owner of Cork Alberts meeting the owner of Kildare County. They don't have any connection, apart from the obvious geographical accident that they happen to be in Limerick, I just fail to see how two independent businessmen crossing paths makes a bad situation worse.

P.S I'm no defender of "Daft Dave" either btw

I wouldn't think Danny Drew's chances of getting a 2020 licence from the FAI are much better than Pat's own chances.

Apologies in advance if this sounds like a stupid question, please indulge me and treat me like a novice here but it's still a genuine question:
    Why as a Limerick fan of 35 years am I supposed to be even more worried now that POS is talking to Danny Drew?

I get it that most fans would love to put on the old blue tinted goggles and pretend it's been the same club in continuous existence since 1937, but let's be honest, from a legal and business perspective it isn't. POS "hanging around" Danny Drew may as well be the owner of Cork Alberts meeting the owner of Kildare County. They don't have any connection, apart from the obvious geographical accident that they happen to be in Limerick, I just fail to see how two independent businessmen crossing paths makes a bad situation worse.

P.S I'm no defender of "Daft Dave" either btw

From an interview by Andrew Cuneen with Pat Purcell, well worth the read if you haven't read it before. But the bit about Drew;
    “Noel O’Connor was in charge and Danny Drew was involved. They put together a strong proposal that the club was moving in the right direction.

Lo and behold, I was only in the door a few months and Noel was sacked. Danny then told a few senior players at the time that he was getting a manager in. In reality, Danny took over. He was the manager. Sometimes you look back and question your sanity regarding some of the situations you ended up being involved in.

“The first game that Danny took over was against Derry. They had the likes of Paddy McCourt and Mark Farren in the team. They were a serious outfit. We lost two-nil. It wasn’t without dignity, but Danny came in after the game and told us it was embarrassing; that he didn’t care if we were playing Barcelona – it wasn’t good enough. This is the same Danny Drew who had six-foot-five Brian Buckley out taking corners in training. You couldn’t make it up.

”Drew is just one of Limerick’s many colourful owners throughout their existence, but Purcell recalls one particular highlight of his tenure at the club.“This is the same Danny Drew that decided one night, because Paul Finucane was working late, he would fly us up to play Shamrock Rovers. I think Aer Lingus had the Fokker 50 at the time. In the same game, we were losing 3-0 at half-time, with our keeper sent off. Danny came in at half-time and told us the game was there for us to go and win it. It’s funny how some things just lodge in the memory bank. We got the bus back, but not to Shannon airport, where everyone’s cars were. No, we got the bus back to the Greenhills Hotel. Lads had to get taxis from the hotel, out to Shannon, to drive back in home.”

As bad as things seemed then, it soon became clear that Limerick wouldn’t be awarded a license ahead of the 2007 League season, under the current set-up.

Drew is another Football Manager wannabe, these lads must not realise that you can buy the game for like 50 quid and give Limerick unlimited resources to the win the Champions League. Be a lot less hassle for the fans than having another bat **** crazy owner returning for round two. As mentioned already that Drew has about as much chance as Pat O'Sullivan of getting a licence given his past relattions with the FAI. He was also involved with a group trying to take over Cork after he was denied a licence for Limerick I think.

Link to the full interview:
    https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/long-read-the-shannonside-superman/id-1237

FAI deduct Limerick FC 26 points for the season just gone, because of all the financial troubles and having an examiner appointed. It means (and was designed so) that we finish bottom of the table.

Not that it will make much difference either way, but better for the season just finished than for the next season...if there is even a Limerick team to play in the division.

osarusan wrote: »
    FAI deduct Limerick FC 26 points for the season just gone, because of all the financial troubles and having an examiner appointed. It means (and was designed so) that we finish bottom of the table.

Not that it will make much difference either way, but better for the season just finished than for the next season...if there is even a Limerick team to play in the division.

They'd never do it for the next season because nobody would even think about entering a team if they were starting on -26 points. Also it's probably gonna be a new club anyway so you're punishing someone for mistakes that POS made.

At this stage I'd doubt there'll be a team. Strong talk that Kerry will have a senior team next year, can see them taking Limericks place in the senior League with a Limerick team remaining in the underage leagues.

• Advertisement

Looks like that's it. Hopefully we'll have a 2021 thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/limerick-fc-on-brink-of-extinction-as-shamrock-rovers-b-team-set-to-take-its-place-in-league-of-ireland-38775049.html

Limerick FC on brink of extinction as Shamrock Rovers 'B team' set to take its place in League of Ireland

December 11 2019 13:20 PM

Limerick FC is facing extinction, meaning the Munster club will drop out of the League of Ireland ahead of the 2020 season.

The examiner of Munster Football Club Ltd, the company behind the SSE Airtricity League First Division club, returned to Ennis District Court today to remove court protection which brings to an end the examinership of the club.

As a result of going into examinership, Limerick FC were docked 26 points last season, finishing bottom of Irish soccer's second tier.

The club went into examinership last September with debts of almost €490,000.

The latest development leaves the Munster club on the brink of extinction, unless a financial solution can be found.

If Limerick drop out of the League of Ireland ahead of the 2020 season, a Shamrock Rovers 'B' team is likely to take its place.

The Limerick FC statement read: "The examiner of the company behind Limerick FC today returned to the South Western Circuit Court in Ennis to remove Court protection spelling the end of an examinership process which has been on-going since September 2019.

"Conor Noone of Baker Tilly Chartered Accountants, told the Court that while an investor had been identified, that party did not engage with him in the manner required in recent weeks in order to firstly secure a licence for First Division football next season nor secondly the funding necessary for the formulation of a scheme of arrangement with Limerick’s creditors.

"When entering the examinership process in September, Munster Football Club Limited, which trades as Limerick FC, had debts of approximately €490,000.

"Conor Noone, Senior Corporate Recovery Manager, Baker Tilly said: “Despite the progress made in developing a viable restructuring plan the company over the last 100 days, we are disappointed at the outcome reached today. Everything possible has been undertaken to secure the future of the company and to preserve employment at Limerick FC."

"The next step in the history of the company will likely be the appointment of a liquidator."

This has been coming.

What it really means is that the current setup is dead and gone.

This has happened before, and a new setup is possible - it is how we ended up with Limerick 37 for a few years.

Whether there's a person or group out there with plans for that I don't know. It is still possible that the people involved in takeover talks might still be interested in a new setup, but I have no idea if that is the case.

We are right back where we were, yet again. A sad day. A textbook example of how to waste money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Tommy Barrett chats to Johnny Ward on OTB

https://youtu.be/jb9NmD4QIlE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭JDigweed

Just picking up on this one, can anyone give me a heads up on where it all went wrong.
    I would have thought a city of Limericks size with decent amateur teams in the county could sustain a professional football team.

JDigweed wrote: »
    Just picking up on this one, can anyone give me a heads up on where it all went wrong.
    I would have thought a city of Limericks size with decent amateur teams in the county could sustain a professional football team.

You only need to look at the people running the club to see where it all went wrong. Even if 1500 were coming through the gate at every home game the club would still have folded eventually because of the poor management by those in charge. They're still waiting on the Greeks to come save them given that the Mongolians turned out to be dead end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

This has been coming for a long time and from someone that has been going to games for over 17 years, in my opinion this city doesn't deserve or want a senior football team. There is a core support of about 200 people, that will be there rain or shine and will pay their way and support the club where they can. Far from enough to sustain a LOI team.

Things ended terrible for Pat which is very sad to see and people can have a pop at him if they want but let's be honest only for Pat pumping in millions of his own money this would have happened ten years ago. All that happened is Pat prolonged the life of Limerick FC and managed to give us some extremely memorable nights along the way.

There have been hundreds of excuses given over the years as to why people won't go to games, too dear, not good enough facilities, Friday nights don't suit, Saturday nights don't suit, too wet, too cold, bank holiday weekend so everyone away, midweek game so it's a school night, poor opposition, playing too strong of opposition and we'll be whacked, not a good enough team on the pitch, too many dubs in the team, not enough locals in the team, too many locals that aren't good enough, too many young players, not enough young players in the team, too many journey men, not enough experience in the team, I don't like the owner, I don't like the players, I don't like the board, I don't like some of the fans, we need to be in the Markets field etc etc....

If there is an excuse I've probably heard it.

You need about €500,000 to run a LOI club and that's bottom of the table, everything stripped back stuff. Every club in this league is on a knife edge and that goes for the top teams also. People trying to dodge paying for a ticket, trying to get in on student and OAP tickets when they were far from it didn't help either. A club already struggling and people still wanted to get in for nothing.

There has been a lot of pie in the sky stuff about people coming in to take over the club but unless you have €1m+ a year to burn then forget about it.

The split between junior and senior is to the detriment of Limerick football also but that's a whole other conversation.

This city needs a break from LOI football and then we will see if there is a real hunger for it. People want a top team, playing in a lovely ground but want someone else to foot the bill and put in the work.

It's such an awful pity it has come to this and it's the young kids and families I feel sorry for. You could see a new support coming through and they seemed to love their Friday or Saturday nights in the Markets Field. They are the ones that are really going to miss out in all of this.

Interesting to see what the markets field will be used for now and where they are going to generate their rent from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭JDigweed

Seems to sum up Irish football in a nutshell. Doesn't help having a hugely corrupt Football Association.
    Happy enough with the odd night of glory in the Aviva rather than invest in the national league.

I'd agree with a lot of what Jofspring said. The club was in tatters before Pat started pumping money in, it was entirely dependent on his money for any successes, and when he stopped pumping in money, as he's entitled to do, it reverted back to being in tatters.

So I'm less critical of Pat than a lot of others because it was at least his own money he was wasting.

My main criticism of him is that he didn't realise, or didn't accept, that as the guy pumping money into an LOI club, you always end up walking away with nothing. It has always been like that, and always will be. Nobody ever makes a profit, or comes close to breaking even.

So spend if you want, and stop spending if you want, but when you do, you have to be prepared to just walk away from it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

How much, if any, is the potential of a LOI team impacted by what appears to be a very competitive (and lucrative) junior soccer scene?

Advertisement