Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2019 Season

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    How much, if any, is the potential of a LOI team impacted by what appears to be a very competitive (and lucrative) junior soccer scene?

I think it only impacts on the actual investment side of things, but doesnt really impact on the player side. While Junior soccer in Limerick is strong, the players playing in it are largely that, junior (standard). A Limerick FC squad would probably require 70% of its squad from players from the rest of Ireland. And a Premier Division level team would need close to 80% of its squad from non-Limerick guys. While Pat O Sullivan has been heavily criticised, they did try to market the team as a South West Munster team, and you did have players and supporters coming from Clare & Tipp, which they tried to tap into.

The big issue in Limerick in my opinion is coaching, the standard of underage coaching isnt close to where it should be and we just dont produce enough quality that would feed into a Limerick senior team. That said, Limerick have benefited from the development squads in recent years with the emergence of O'Connor, Cotter, Fitzgerald, O Sullivan, etc but there is still huge work to be done to improve the standard of coaching at club under age level, to develop kids.

You only have to look at Irelands national team over the last 50 years and you'd probably be able to count the number of capped players from Limerick in one hand. The same goes with Irelands underage teams. We have had a few in recent years that have started to make squads but before that you'd rarely see many Limerick lads earn underage caps for Ireland.

Obviously coaching is one aspect, the other being the dominance of rugby and hurling, but i think soccer can compete in Limerick, we just need to start from the bottom up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Good info, Damo. There's such a high quality of clubs its sad to see that underage coaching is below par. Don't some of the big name clubs not even have underage structure? Pike might have but I've never heard of Janesboro having youth teams.

You could argue that kids are being geared towards playing and staying in the junior soccer scene and not kicking on any further than that especially if families/friends are in that scene. If you're in and around the likes of Pike, the Boro, Annacotty, some might find that more enticing than playing for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

A certain up and coming club from an affluent part of the city paid the stalwart of one of their opposition 10K over two years to join them.

A fringe player in the Limerick setup two years ago joined a local club and doubled his wages

There is money in Limerick football alright, its just not at the senior level, and I'd be very suspicious of the origin of some of the money.

Football in Limerick at all levels is rotten to the core

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

mitresize5 wrote: »
    A certain up and coming club from an affluent part of the city paid the stalwart of one of their opposition 10K over two years to join them.

A fringe player in the Limerick setup two years ago joined a local club and doubled his wages

There is money in Limerick football alright, its just not at the senior level, and I'd be very suspicious of the origin of some of the money.

Football in Limerick at all levels is rotten to the core

I can see that up and coming club having a few top level players in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

Watching a Brazilian bang in a hat trick on his debut in Markets Field, jesus remember the genuine excitement that was around the club that night....even Ian Turner got in on the act!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

That's the first of a thread, I screenshot the whole thing and attached it if it makes it easier.
    https://twitter.com/LFCBlueArmy/status/1207430261333528576?s=19

Whoever is behind the trust should just wait until the 2021, no point rushing a senior team for the sake of just having a senior team in the league come next February. Take your time to get everything organised first and then go from there. No point putting the cart before the horse just to keep up this whole "there's been a team from Limerick in the league since 1937".

You've the women's team in the league next season, if you can get the underage in get them, but I honestly think you shouldn't rush the seniors. Give yourself time to plan things out as the trust aren't meeting until the new year, teams will be back in pre season by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Even if they tried to rush it it couldn't happen unless a multimillionaire walked in and handed over a bag of cash to kick start you. You would need approx €500,000 just to ensure the club would see out the season. About €60,000 up front just to cover affiliation fee and insurance. Then you need money for players wages, coaches and rent all before a ball is kicked.

Setting up a trust takes time too, you have to decide what way you will set it up. Public Limited Company, Charity etc... Then you need to consult with Solicitors and accountants to make sure everything is above board and legal. You have to get a committee in place also.

After that you need to start the licensing application which is fairly detailed despite how much of a balls it has been and help would be needed for that.

Throw into the mix the FAI have their own issues to deal with you will do well to get any help from them at the moment.

On a side note what happened the money that the blue army was raising through gofundme for Sean Russell? From checking gofundme it looks like Sean hasn't seen a penny of it yet and the fundraiser is still open as you can still contribute to it. That was started up in May.

Jofspring wrote: »
    On a side note what happened the money that the blue army was raising through gofundme for Sean Russell? From checking gofundme it looks like Sean hasn't seen a penny of it yet and the fundraiser is still open as you can still contribute to it. That was started up in May.
    They gave him a cheque

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

We had some incredible nights
    Beating cork two seasons ago In markets field was unreal when we went one nil up and held on for dear life for 90 mins , who scored that day? Tracy was it ? I think we also beat Waterford that season if I remember correctly when hery was playing with them. The year we had ogbenie we should have qualified for europe, getting rid of russel was the worst thing we did

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Beating cork two seasons ago In markets field was unreal when we went one nil up and held on for dear life for 90 mins , who scored that day? Tracy was it ? I think we also beat Waterford that season if I remember correctly when hery was playing with them. The year we had ogbenie we should have qualified for europe, getting rid of russel was the worst thing we did

Paudie Quinn with a wonder strike in Monaghan to win 1-0

Think you've had enough to drink for tonight :D

Edit: Billy Dennehy scored in that game against Cork. Ran from inside his own half unchallenged and scored from just outside the box. Best thing from that game was Will Fitz busting Conor McCormack in a 50/50.

Tracy scored the year before against Cork, peach of a free kick and Tosi chipped McNulty from outside the box. Robbie Williams was playing for Cork that day.

They gave him a cheque

You sure? The go fund me is still up and running.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/sean-russell-medical-expenses

Jofspring wrote: »
    You sure? The go fund me is still up and running.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/sean-russell-medical-expenses
    I saw one of them reply to a comment on Facebook a few months back saying so, but by all means follow it up yourself if you're sceptical.

https://twitter.com/Limerick_Leader/status/1208124155822059522

Cllr Butler suggesting that UL should look to replace Limerick FC in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Positive development.

Is there anybody with any money out there though.

osarusan wrote: »
    Positive development.

Is there anybody with any money out there though.

Positive indeed, good news heading into the new year. People have been quite vocal about the demise of Limerick FC and the prospects of no senior soccer in the mid west, hopefully now they support this trust and not only keep senior soccer in the mid west going but a club you can actually say "that's my club, I'm a part owner".

The trust would be foolish enough to give the club over if somebody just comes along with money. Pat Grace, Danny Drew, Jack McCarthy, Pat O'Sullivan, it never ends well. If somebody comes along with money tell them they can invest but will never own the club outright.

Underage trials on the way for Limerick United. It looks like the women will be entering as Limerick United WFC too.

https://twitter.com/LimerickUnited/status/1211380175511982083?s=19

New thread?

• Advertisement

Outside for Frankie Daly, anyone know who is behind Limerick United?

Don't think so. Probably won't hear anything until there first meeting. Frankie is related to the Daly Group, so presumably they might be involved.

Don't think so. Probably won't hear anything until there first meeting. Frankie is related to the Daly Group, so presumably they might be involved.
    Actually while we're at it, who does the Daly Group consist of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Osarusan, do you want the honour of setting up a Limerick United thread?
    https://twitter.com/LimerickUnited/status/1215743153917059072?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Chaotic stuff.
    Limerick FC has confirmed a future investment into Limerick FC of €500,000 from
    international investors to be invested over a three year period to secure the future of
    Limerick Senior, Ladies and Underage soccer.

A large part of the investment is ring fenced for underage soccer. Limerick FC is
    eager to involve the newly formed group using the name Limerick United to join
    together in the best interests of underage soccer in Limerick.

It has not been possible to enter a meaningful dialogue with Conn Murray, the
    Interim Chairman of the new group by the Investors, representative and Pat O’Sullivan, Chairman of Limerick FC, despite repeated requests.

On the basis of legal advice provided to Mr Murray, he has refused to engage whilst High Court
    proceedings against the FAI are ongoing.
    Unfortunately, Mr Murray refused to
    identify the new group’s Solicitors to the Investor’s Representative.

Limerick FC is eager to establish a football structure which incorporates the best
    soccer talent, players and coaches, in Limerick and the surrounding regions. The
    new investment obtained by Limerick FC will ensure that the Limerick academy is
    properly financed for years to come.

Limerick FC is willing to amalgamate with the new group to ensure the future of
    Limerick Soccer, Senior, Ladies and Underage.

Further, as a mark of goodwill to its county men and fellow football supporters,
    Limerick FC is also agreeable to the recently announced group members, including
    Conn Murray, Interim Chairman, and any coaches appointed by them to remain in
    place subject to FAI requirements regarding qualifications, Garda vetting etc.
    The role of Chairman of Limerick FC Pat O’Sullivan can be addressed as part of any talks.

Chairman of Limerick FC Pat O’Sullivan wishes to express his sincere hope that in
    the best interests of Limerick football, Senior, Ladies and Underage, the football
    people of Limerick work together to secure the investment and the future success of
    Limerick football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I'm confused. If Limerick FC have been given permission to apply for a First Division licence now, will Shamrock Rovers B get stripped of their licence? Or could there be an extra team in the league and more fixtures?

Sounds like Limerick United won't be needed for a while, although Limerick clubs have folded so many times in the past.

Advertisement