Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SnapChat for teenager - Pros and cons

Options
  • 02-01-2019 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

I know I can google pros and cons however I find it more useful to get feedback from people that have experience on certain topics :)

There is no social media or internet access/games/apps downloaded on smartphones in household which has so far worked well:) (No whatsapp ether which has been super too)

Until now mobile phone has been text and call only.......However, I feel it is time to give more trust and responsibility so am considering snapchat.

I am not overly keen on this as teenagers seem to be glued to their phones however I need to be fair as it does seem to be the way most teenagers are communicating meeting up etc.

I know there is difficulty monitoring texts as they can disappear - I really don't like this element.

I would appreciate pros and cons. If there are any solutions to cons it would be great too :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

We don't allow snapchat for the exact reason you stated above, everything disappears and cannot be checked.

I have allowed my son an instagram account, on the condition he does not post pictures of himself or any personal information, and I have his password. It has worked well so far.
    I would also allow Twitter, but he has no interest in that.

Facebook I think is too personal, profiles etc - I don't think he's old enough for that.

He games online and same rules apply - no personal info discussed (game content only), no adding friends who you don't know in real life first, and I have access to all messages etc.

He also has Whatsapp - this is how he most communicates with his friends. The class have a group chat. Again....as with everthing on his phone, I have access should I require it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Would suggest sticking with the non smartphones. Any of the communication apps you mention can be viewed on a computer in a communal room. I know you don t want your children missing out on the social aspects but an awful lot of the BS That a teenager could ignore/miss is amplified to the power of 10 due to the instant gratification nature of the instant communication

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

thought I'll add this here - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/23/sunday-review/human-contact-luxury-screens.htm
    All of this has led to a curious new reality: Human contact is becoming a luxury good.
    As more screens appear in the lives of the poor, screens are disappearing from the lives of the rich. The richer you are, the more you spend to be offscreen.

- no plans to get a smartphone for my child (pre-teen) ; of course kids in her class have one - and I am not going to say here what I think of those parents values ...
    actually, SO would be ok to get her a dumb phone; tbh, since I was looking at this light phone, I might get one for myself !

Advertisement