Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Career change-to construction

• 02-01-2019 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this comes across as your usual "pie in the sky",childish post but I'm at a bit of a fork in the road and I don't really know who to turn to for advice.

As the title says,I'm considering a career change and I'm not qualified to do a anything other than what I am presently at.

I've been working in a completely different industry than construction for the last 13 years but at this point I will gladly take a pay cut and start over if it means I can get home and have some sort of life. Right now I am Africa and have been away form my Missus and family/friends for Christmas etc. Sitting in hotel rooms wishing the weeks away is killing me. I don't drink and it's quite isolated,basically it's getting old and I am not prepared to do it for the rest of my days. I'm 34 now.

Brings me to my question of whether or not anybody has effectively changed jobs and made a decent living form construction? I have no experience so I'm wondering about the most basic stuff like is a labouring position a good place to start? I would be looking for a job that allows me to learn and upskill, possibly start my own business/company a little down the road. Or maybe look at college courses whilst working.

I like the idea of a tough graft and I think I can say I've always worked hard and done more than expected so I'd be fairly confident that I could make the best of opportunities that might pop up.

If anyone has any experience,advice or indeed knows anyone who may have done similar, I would be very grateful for a chat.

Thanks Guys/Gals and Happy New Year!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

gomalley wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this comes across as your usual "pie in the sky",childish post but I'm at a bit of a fork in the road and I don't really know who to turn to for advice.

As the title says,I'm considering a career change and I'm not qualified to do a anything other than what I am presently at.

I've been working in a completely different industry than construction for the last 13 years but at this point I will gladly take a pay cut and start over if it means I can get home and have some sort of life. Right now I am Africa and have been away form my Missus and family/friends for Christmas etc. Sitting in hotel rooms wishing the weeks away is killing me. I don't drink and it's quite isolated,basically it's getting old and I am not prepared to do it for the rest of my days. I'm 34 now.

Brings me to my question of whether or not anybody has effectively changed jobs and made a decent living form construction? I have no experience so I'm wondering about the most basic stuff like is a labouring position a good place to start? I would be looking for a job that allows me to learn and upskill, possibly start my own business/company a little down the road. Or maybe look at college courses whilst working.

I like the idea of a tough graft and I think I can say I've always worked hard and done more than expected so I'd be fairly confident that I could make the best of opportunities that might pop up.

If anyone has any experience,advice or indeed knows anyone who may have done similar, I would be very grateful for a chat.

Thanks Guys/Gals and Happy New Year!!
    Are you in a position to commit to an apprenticeship?
    Pretty much all of the trades are in demand now and will continue to be. Electrical probably the most popular and the rates for apprentices aren't bad at all.
    There's probably money to be made labouring as well however it can be tough going - there are probably better positioned people on here that might be able to give you some advice re that side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gomalley

Thanks Kippy, appreciate that!

Thanks Kippy, appreciate that!

I hope you can get some better advice than my own.
    What you are trying to do makes a lot of sense - there's only so much time away from home (particularly with family) that you can do.

Is there any chance you can use your existing skill set over here?

Yeah I'm looking into but there are only a few companies and they only open up recruitment once in a while so it sort of gets to a point where there's the realisation that it might never happen.

My needs are small like, I'd be happy out just being back and having any sort of stability. I'm at this craic a while now and it's starting to feel like the end does not justify the means as there is no end. Lot of my Colleagues have gone to China the last few years as it is the highest pay but I don't think I'm cut out for that and ya know,how much is your sanity worth and all that.

Anyway,slight rant there but we struggle on and I try come up with some plan!

Cheers though!

Yeah I'm looking into but there are only a few companies and they only open up recruitment once in a while so it sort of gets to a point where there's the realisation that it might never happen.

My needs are small like, I'd be happy out just being back and having any sort of stability. I'm at this craic a while now and it's starting to feel like the end does not justify the means as there is no end. Lot of my Colleagues have gone to China the last few years as it is the highest pay but I don't think I'm cut out for that and ya know,how much is your sanity worth and all that.

Anyway,slight rant there but we struggle on and I try come up with some plan!

Cheers though!

In fairness being that far away from family is not sustainable on the mind at all.
    I'd reckon there are plenty general labourer jobs over here at present, particularly in the bigger cities - you'd probably need to know a few guys in the trades to get a start at that level though.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Nice one thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

In my opinion you would be crazy to start laboring at 34 years of age! As somebody else suggested, an apprenticeship is the way to go if you can get one. What sort of work do you do now - is there no way you can translate those skills into something that you can do in Ireland? Could you do an online course - maybe in Construction Management? Sligo IT have a great online programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I think if you want it you should go with it .
    What kinda skills if any could you transfer to the buildings ?
    Construction is crying out for labourers everywhere so now is a good time to make a switch .
    If it doesnt suit you will you be able to go back to your old job if needs must ?
    If it is too late to learn a trade you could try and find a tradesman that might take you on as a partner . I know a blocklayer who has a terrible way of dealing with people and no interest in pricing / bookwork or phonecalls but he is a brilliant tradesman and can run a gang well to belt up houses . He partnered up with a lad that got let go out of a factory a few years ago and they have 8 lads working for them and seem to be doing well . Its not easy to meet the right person but it could be a runner or a different way of working for yourself in construction

Advertisement