Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island

Options
  • 02-01-2019 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

What a course!
    Tougher than the European club, longer than Palmerstown house
    8 massive par 4's on front 9!

Just wanted to say it was brilliant

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It is, whenever I've played it there's been a lot of European guys out playing and not that many Yanks.
    That par 3 (13th I think) is a fecker and I love the closing stretch especially playing into the 15th green...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bm_1212

ha yes the par 3, was full into the wind and for the first time in my life I needed to use a driver off the tee

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Beaulieu

Do they ever have Open days / week?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Do they ever have Open days / week?

Dont think so. They used to have open days for Ladies but not even sure if that still runs. Pity really there is not even a scratch cup of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Fantastic course - best on east coast (IMO).

Looked back at the first time I played it there (2011) - was blown away by it.

It is the only thing that reminds me a bit of Enniscrone on the east.

I think Enniscrone is even better.

I do think it is a bit too hard and impractical to be your club to be a member of.

There are probably only about 4/5 holes that are not that great. Likes of 8/9/10/11 - are only ok holes - but would be good holes on many other course.

The run from 1 to 6 are outstanding an then 12 all the way in is such a ride. The course has an outstanding variety of holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

the toughest start of any course I've played

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭newindublin

I was able to play on new years day, they appeared to have the entire day available to book which was really great. Not cheap (80 per person), and hitting off mats on the fairway and a lot of bunkers are GUR, but I loved almost all the course.

The long par 3 (13th) was a tough hole for me, I blasted a hybrid well left into the rough off the 14th. Took me 3 shots to get it out off the thick stuff and on to the green from there, not my best hole. The 14th would probably be my least favorite hole though, it is just so narrow. The finishing stretch was amazing after that.

I might just make a new years day tradition of kicking off the year there if they continue to open up the bookings to visitors.

€80 off mats is a joke, not a hope would I pay that

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭davegilly

slave1 wrote: »
    €80 off mats is a joke, not a hope would I pay that

I played Ballybunion Old off mats on NYD for €35. 80 seems to be taking the piss here a little bit.

OT, have the BB fairways fully come back yet, they looked brutal in Summer photos and Mark Crossfields videos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭davegilly

slave1 wrote: »
    OT, have the BB fairways fully come back yet, they looked brutal in Summer photos and Mark Crossfields videos
    I saw that video and they looked very bad alright. Didn't give a great impression of the course. They've all come back now though, everywhere was lush green. Still a bit of GUR on a few fairways but didn't affect me as I spent most of my time off the fairways!!
    Had never played the course before and visually parts of it are stunning. Would love to play the island as well but a bit too expensive for me :(

Advertisement