Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling question

Options
  • 02-01-2019 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I need a drill for the coming years to do various things around the house and I am thinking of buying something of substance that does not run out too quickly and that has adequate strength.

I reviewed the other posts here about this topic and this is what I could learn from it: 1) Buy as high a voltage as you can, e.g. 14 or 18V b) get as high a Ah battery as your money gets you 3) get two batteries.

So, now, I am thinking of getting:

Dewalt XR Cordless 18V 2Ah Lithium-ion Combi drill 2 batteries DCD795D2-GB for around 140 Euro.

18V and 2Ah gives me a good amount of juice.

Any better suggestions?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

nice Drill,

However what is its core purpose. Is a question i always ask.

I have 4 drills.

Cordless SDS
    Corded SDS
    Multipurpose Battery Drill
    Impact Driver

Each as different purposes and not one of them does all tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

2 Ah is a bit on the low side if you intend to be doing much heavy (hammer) drilling into concrete or hard material. Be lucky to get more than a few holes

Plug in SDS probably best for this

The Dewalt Should be fine for general house stuff though

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Since I got an impact driver and SDS drill, the only thing I use my combi drill for is stirring paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd get a plug in sds anyway for small money to take care of the heavy stuff.
    You then don't need to go too high end on the cordless.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Good idea. I do have a drill hammer that is plug-in for heavy stuff, but boy, that device IS heavy. Quite an old Bosch that weights a ton...

I found a 3 Ah version of that DeWalt for 170 Euro and will go for that. Also with a spare. If someone has seen a better offer somewhere (or similar quality brand), let me know...

To answer the questions above. I plan to use it for (un)screwing and for working in areas where the power cord is annoying. I like to have a good cordless drill in addition to the one mentioned above, but it is unlikely I will use the hammer-mode much...

• Advertisement

ampleforth wrote: »
    Good idea. I do have a drill hammer that is plug-in for heavy stuff, but boy, that device IS heavy. Quite an old Bosch that weights a ton...

I found a 3 Ah version of that DeWalt for 170 Euro and will go for that. Also with a spare. If someone has seen a better offer somewhere (or similar quality brand), let me know...

To answer the questions above. I plan to use it for (un)screwing and for working in areas where the power cord is annoying. I like to have a good cordless drill in addition to the one mentioned above, but it is unlikely I will use the hammer-mode much...

If its for screw work then dont bother buying that.

honestly an impact driver is worth its weight in gold. Youll never go back to a multi use drill like the one you linked.

I only ever use mine now for drilling pilot holes in timber. It doesnt get used for anything else.

Corded SDS for concrete work. Eats through the heavy stuff and an impact driver for screwing.

Personally id opt for just an impact driver - a good brushless one
    Or a pack of an impact driver and cordless multidrill.

These is immense value in RYOBI brand currently and they have the added bonus of not messing with their battery shape / styles like other manufacturers so batterys last years and your not stuck upgrading drills because you cant get the batteries any longer.

Ive a good few RYOBI bits but not an impact, i got my impact some time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

There's corded SDS drills in Lidl (from last week) for €35

Absolute bargain and perfect for most of us here.

(OP this would be in addition to a cordless drill/whatever - everything except a sds drill is useless for masonry)

Impact drivers are absolute gold, but if I had to choose only one I wouldn't choose it because they're just crap at everything except screwing.

Suggestion: "Makita CLX202AJ 10.8 V CXT Combi and Impact Driver with 2 x 2.0Ah batteries in MakPac case- Twin Pack" for £136 on amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Dewalt so a similar 10.8V kit (neighbor has it and its had a lot of abuse and still works fine) either with the Lidl SDS drill would cover most household requirements.

jhenno78 wrote: »
    Impact drivers are absolute gold, but if I had to choose only one I wouldn't choose it because they're just crap at everything except screwing.
    I've found mine excellent for drilling deep and wide holes in timber using auger bits.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    I've found mine excellent for drilling deep and wide holes in timber using auger bits.

Where can I report you for tool abuse :D

Shudders, I can see how that would work but its just WRONG :eek:

my3cents wrote: »
    Dewalt so a similar 10.8V kit (neighbor has it and its had a lot of abuse and still works fine) either with the Lidl SDS drill would cover most household requirements.

Thanks for the link.

Quick question: Less voltage ( V ) means less power right ?

I can remotely hear the upward-grunt of Tim Allen when I alter those words...oh my...

Hmm, yeah. I'm squirming but fair enough. It's better than breaking your combi-drill on heavy stuff.
    Personally I use an sds drill with a chuck adapter for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ampleforth wrote:

Yes. 18volt is better

https://www.woodies.ie/dewalt-18v-brushless-cordless-combi-drill-with-4ah-battery-1155600

One 4ah battery is better than two 2ah batteries. This is a better buy than the one you linked

Where can I report you for tool abuse :D

Shudders, I can see how that would work but its just WRONG :eek:

Abuse of the driver or the bit? Or both? :D

Isn't that the whole point of impact drivers, to use percussion to reduce the required torque?

jhenno78 wrote: »

Whoops, misread this. It meant to look for an 18v model.
    Here's an 18v set for £135

Thought the first one seemed a bit cheap for a Makita twin set...free cake for whoever can tell me why this set is only 135.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This is a better buy than the one you linked

True! Wondering what the charging time is...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ampleforth wrote:
    True! Wondering what the charging time is...

Google says:
    As for charge time there is a slight increase from the 4ah, which was able to charge from flat in 70 minutes, the Dewalt 5.0Ah DCB184 battery charges from flat in around 90 mins

Abuse of the driver or the bit? Or both? :D

Isn't that the whole point of impact drivers, to use percussion to reduce the required torque?
    It's the poor drill-bits that I worry about.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Yes. 18volt is better

https://www.woodies.ie/dewalt-18v-brushless-cordless-combi-drill-with-4ah-battery-1155600

One 4ah battery is better than two 2ah batteries. This is a better buy than the one you linked

I just found an even better deal:

DeWalt DCD778L2T-SFGB 18V 3.0Ah Li-Ion XR Brushless Cordless Combi DrillVideoView product video
    DEWALT DCD778L2T-SFGB 18V 3.0AH LI-ION XR BRUSHLESS CORDLESS COMBI DRILL Product Code: 8395V

https://www.ie.screwfix.com is quite an amazing site that I only discovered yesterday...

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/dewalt-dcd778l2t-sfgb-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-brushless-cordless-combi-drill.html

This one comes with two 3 Ah Batteries, also 18V.

Probably too much power, but thats ok ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link.

I can remotely hear the upward-grunt of Tim Allen when I alter those words...oh my...

That impact driver will drive 100mm #6 screws straight through joists if you have a long enough bit.

The advantage for an amateur user is that you have a lighter more controllable tool, but I know from experience that both the Makita and the Dewalt 10.8V tools will do a perfectly good professional days work. Day in and day out use they aren't going to be as good a brushless 18V tool but iirc you get a 3 year warranty on all the Dewalt tools (6 months on batteries).

A neighbor has the 10.8V set and I've a load of 18V tools, really hard from a DIY point of view to justify the extra expense of the 18V ones. I've used both and all the power you need is there on both voltages. If you are drilling really massive holes that need a lot of torque then a mains tools is going to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

This set on Screwfix isn't a bad option either
    https://www.ie.screwfix.com/dewalt-dck2060s2t-sfgb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-twin-pack.html
    It's only 1.5A batteries but you get the drill and impact driver for €212.
    I have an earlier version of them for the last 3 years and they have gotten heavyish DIY use and have never really been stuck for battery. They only take 25 minutes or so to recharge. I probably use the impact driver more than the drill but tend to do a lot of external woodwork.
    As mentioned above, a plug in SDS is the way to go for heavier stuff.

On the 18V tools 2Amp batteries are OK, don't forget that they take half the time to charge of the 4Amp ones so if you have two you shouldn't have any down time. You really need the 4Amp batteries (or 5Amp) if you are planning on using other battery tools, I have a battery SDS drill, angle grinder and reciprocating saw which run for long enough on 4Amp batteries but wouldn't last long at all with the 2Amp ones.

So what I am suggesting to the OP is that if there is any likelihood of buying other battery tools that take the same type of batteries then go for the more powerful ones however for DIY use as I've said 10.8V and 18v 2Amp is quite adequate.

... if there is any likelihood of buying other battery tools that take the same type of batteries then go for the more powerful ones however for DIY use as I've said 10.8V and 18v 2Amp is quite adequate.

Indeed. I am planning to get other tools later. Looking forward to the tool already.

Thanks to all of you and your very helpful comments!

I just found an even better deal:

DeWalt DCD778L2T-SFGB 18V 3.0Ah Li-Ion XR Brushless Cordless Combi DrillVideoView product video
    DEWALT DCD778L2T-SFGB 18V 3.0AH LI-ION XR BRUSHLESS CORDLESS COMBI DRILL Product Code: 8395V

https://www.ie.screwfix.com is quite an amazing site that I only discovered yesterday...

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/dewalt-dcd778l2t-sfgb-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-brushless-cordless-combi-drill.html

This one comes with two 3 Ah Batteries, also 18V.

Probably too much power, but thats ok ;)

Still won't come close to an impact driver .

You did say your primary use is screwing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I don't like the sound of an impact driver, and it's easier to overdo it compared to a drill/screwgun.

The impact drive isn't the solution to every screwing job.

I've been screwing plasterboard and thin plywood recently and an impact driver wouldn't have been the right tool. For another job putting tec screws through corrugated iron sheet it was perfect, for putting long screws through noggins between joists equally it was the ideal too.

Just saying the clutch on most modern screw driver/drills is handy when you are doing lighter work.

The impact drive isn't the solution to every screwing job.

I've been screwing plasterboard and thin plywood recently and an impact driver wouldn't have been the right tool. For another job putting tec screws through corrugated iron sheet it was perfect, for putting long screws through noggins between joists equally it was the ideal too.

Just saying the clutch on most modern screw driver/drills is handy when you are doing lighter work.

The impact driver is the solution to all jobs.

I've a brushless one for two years and it walks any job. Including light stuff. The good ones have node torque selection on them to reduce the power.

Did someone say something about don't like the noise. I thought this was the DIY forum and not Perry winkles story time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I got this for £130GBP, use it out in garage on my vehicles and around the house: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OTYXWE4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

s-l225.jpg

Definitely would need a mains powered drill for any heavy work, but is sufficient for most and as there is two batteries I put one on charge and switch between them for any prolonged work.

EDIT: Ebay have them cheaper: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/DEWALT-DCK211D2T-10-8V-Cordless-Kit-2-Piece/10019367680?iid=273557862758

• Advertisement

I got this for £130GBP, use it out in garage on my vehicles and around the house: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OTYXWE4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

s-l225.jpg

Definitely would need a mains powered drill for any heavy work, but is sufficient for most and as there is two batteries I put one on charge and switch between them for any prolonged work.

EDIT: Ebay have them cheaper: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/DEWALT-DCK211D2T-10-8V-Cordless-Kit-2-Piece/10019367680?iid=273557862758

I agree thats a good piece of kit (its often that price on Amazon if you keep your eye on the prices) the only thing against it for the OP is that there aren't many other decent 10.8V tools in that range as most of the DeWalt tools are 18V.

Advertisement