Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

listermint wrote: »
    The impact driver is the solution to all jobs

I might get an impact driver as well later if I can find one that match those battery packs. I assume that DeWalt batteries plug with all its tools and they are not changing them every year ( ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ampleforth wrote: »
    I might get an impact driver as well later if I can find one that match those battery packs. I assume that DeWalt batteries plug with all its tools and they are not changing them every year ( ? )

They've swapped them a few times over the last ten years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Did someone say something about don't like the noise. I thought this was the DIY forum and not Perry winkles story time :p

Based on years of working on building sites with them!!!
    I've been using impact drivers since 2005.

my3cents wrote: »
    The only thing against it for the OP is that there aren't many other decent 10.8V tools in that range as most of the DeWalt tools are 18V.

The 10.8V ones are nice and light. I used to work with various plumbers that used them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Effects wrote: »

The Makita DTS141ZJ I have is an "oil impulse driver" and it's claimed to run at 77 dB vs 82 dB for a regular impact driver.

It's not noisy, although if I'm working outside very late I might switch to the combi drill.

But it is stupidly expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If it's for DIY projects then a good 10.8 volt screw driver should be fine, less bulky for getting into tight spots and plenty of power, if you drill pilot holes in wood then realistically you are never screwing a screw in more than 25 mm into the wood. I have a 10.8 volt Metabo with a quick release Chuck, and an angle Chuck, go to tool for 99% of jobs, get a mains SDS with it to cover all other jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Effects wrote: »

I never said they were quite i was just amused by the comment.

your doing DIY with it not putting the kids to bed. :D

If it's for DIY projects then a good 10.8 volt screw driver should be fine, less bulky for getting into tight spots and plenty of power, if you drill pilot holes in wood then realistically you are never screwing a screw in more than 25 mm into the wood. I have a 10.8 volt Metabo with a quick release Chuck, and an angle Chuck, go to tool for 99% of jobs, get a mains SDS with it to cover all other jobs.

I agree. I have a pair of the Metabo 10.8V Powermax BS Basic, which is essentially the same unit minus the ability to remove the chuck and use the hex drive centre on the drive spindle. But I'm really happy with them and for €89 each with 2 batteries they were great value. I use them the whole time for drilling pilot holes, driving fasteners and the like and rarely have to go get the Panasonic 18V combi for all but the largest of holes I want to drill.

There's a huge difference between these modern units and the older equivalents. I think I'd get an impact driver if I was running fasteners into sheet materials the whole time, but for general purpose use, those Metabo's are briliant.

Lumen wrote: »

But it is stupidly expensive.

Looks nice. The price for that Makita didn't seem too bad to me. But I believe in spending good money and looking after your tools.

I'm still using a 24V Bosch that I bought in 2004. I've replaced the batteries a few times though.

A lot of carpenters seem to be using battering tools these days as well. Years ago they wouldn't have bothered, not enough power/torque.

your doing DIY with it not putting the kids to bed. :D

Yeah, but I still want to enjoy it! I tend to wear ear defenders using most tools these days anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

I've been screwing plasterboard and thin plywood recently and an impact driver wouldn't have been the right tool.

Drywall bits might help there too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

lgk wrote: »
    Drywall bits might help there too...

Good point, actually have a couple but the amount of work I was doing didn't warrant the time I'd have to spend finding where I put them away when I last used them.

Might think about using them on the 6mm plywood as its a pain when you put the screws in to far.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Good point, actually have a couple but the amount of work I was doing didn't warrant the time I'd have to spend finding where I put them away when I last used them.

You might be like me so and only remember you have them when the damage is already done. :D

Advertisement