Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pixel 1 blacklisted

• 02-01-2019 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

When recently in the UK I noticed I couldn't take/receive calls. This may have happened me on prior trips but TBH I never noticed as I use WhatsApp mostly.
    I have a Pixel 1 bought in March 2017 from a Washington Mobile Phone Ltd in Parnell St Dublin who I insisted give me a receipt at the time. I paid cash. The receipt lists price (€600), date, imei, store name, address and phone details and is signed by me.

From performing an IMEI check I see the phone is blacklisted.
    It still works on Irish network mind you.

Companies House show an Company was dissolved with this name in Jan 2018. Their phone number doesn't work.

Chalk this up to experience or any chance I can get this rescinded somehow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ste wrote: »
    From performing an IMEI check I see the phone is blacklisted.
    It still works on Irish network mind you.

did you buy it new or second hand, does the checker tell you whom blocked it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Looks like the phone was stolen/lost and blocked in the UK. IMEI blocks are not shared between regions. I would be contacting them threatening legal action and demanding they sort it or reimburse you. You could be handling stolen goods, think about it, you are the one at a loss, they've gotten their money

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

It was sold to me as new. The company is gone so I cannot go back to them. I checked a couple of IMEI check websites which showed it blacklisted. Some offer a paid service to show how/when/who blacklisted so maybe I should pay for that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

ste wrote:
    It was sold to me as new. The company is gone so I cannot go back to them. I checked a couple of IMEI check websites which showed it blacklisted. Some offer a paid service to show how/when/who blacklisted so maybe I should pay for that...

Definitely no point in doing that, it's just wasting more time and money. The phone was obviously stolen or claimed as lost then sold to the seller in Ireland. The phone will only be blacklisted in the country it was intended to be sold in, which is pretty annoying as you'd never know until you visit that country. It happens all over the world. I bought a new phone in the UK years ago, then visited the States, the phone was blocked in the US.

Extremely annoying although this happens a lot and with more and more data protection like GDPR, you'll never get anywhere.

As the criminals know the system, this will continue on a huge scale across neighbouring countries all over the world.

I always wondered how lots of people can sell brand new phones on adverts at a lower cost than buying from Asia..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What's the point of knowing why it's blacklisted? It's not going to make any difference to you after nearly 2 years as you can't unblacklist it from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Yea you're dead right @tedpan ... I'll just move on. And thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

ste wrote:
    Yea you're dead right @tedpan ... I'll just move on. And thanks!

No worries!

Forgot to add, the networks/phone manufacturers will be of no assistance either due to data rules plus they have already been reimbursed by the insurance company. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Del2005 wrote: »
    What's the point of knowing why it's blacklisted? It's not going to make any difference to you after nearly 2 years as you can't unblacklist it from the UK.

If it had been blacklisted in error perhaps?

How much is this service, If you are sure it was new when sold...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you are sure it was new when sold...

It would be.

1. Order new phone
    2. Dont open it
    3. Sell it
    4. Don't pay bill

€600 free money from the MNO. Phone would be new but its stolen goods.

Why oh why people don't buy phones off Amazon DE I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If it had been blacklisted in error perhaps?

How much is this service, If you are sure it was new when sold...

Since the IMEI is unique it would be difficult to black list the wrong phone.

The phone was new but wasn't legitimate when sold. Again what good will come from finding out why the phone was blacklisted? The phone company in the UK won't deal with the OP as they are not the owner who reported it stolen/lost, so they can't do anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement