Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Jude13

I did an 8km jog last night, very slowly as I had to stretch every 1.5km ish. Woke at 5.00am and tried to meditate (Im new to it) using the free trial on headspace. I should have got up and gone down stairs to do it as I kept nodding off.

Did some kettle bell shoulder exercises from 5:30am to 6am, nothing strenuous just activating my shoulder as its still sore an jerky from my surgery last year. Not enough to sweat, especially as it was cold outside this morning. My OH made me a spinach and cheese omelette and I have egg white scrambled eggs* for my 9 or 10am snack.

*TLDR made tagliatelle carbonara with pancetta and parmesan, to make up for it I got up early and did some token exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Managed 25k on the turbotrainer last night as I couldn't face going out for a run, sweat was dropping off me & I'm doing far more waling too & I've managed now to put 3 days of nothing but breakfast, lunch & dinner together (no junk or snacking basically) and we've managed to get rid of most of the treats now so its just a case of keeping it going now.
    Not gonna weigh myself until Saturday to see if a week or so will have any impact. my slimfit work shirts are still fitting me okay so I suspect the damage isnt as bad as first feared.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB I find that is the hardest part, the not eating bar the three main meals. I have in the past had 6-7 small meals throughout the day and lost a tonne of weight but I was training like a mad man (pre kids). Best of luck with the no snacks.

I have a boat party this Friday at noon which ends at 7:30pm.....there will be some empty calories taken.

Jude13 wrote: »
    DvB I find that is the hardest part, the not eating bar the three main meals. I have in the past had 6-7 small meals throughout the day and lost a tonne of weight but I was training like a mad man (pre kids). Best of luck with the no snacks.

Much easier when in work as I'm so busy so basically function on coffee from breakfast at 6.30am until lunch at 1pm, same then until I get home & have dinner at 6.30/7.00pm... I always find if I can avoid eating anything after dinner it has a huge impact on weight loss, its a hard habit to form, but once it is, happy days.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have a boat party this Friday at noon which ends at 7:30pm.....there will be some empty calories taken.
    The best kind of calories. :pac:

• Advertisement

It's my post dinner snacks that get me too. Eggs each moring, oats if I was trainng as well as the eggs, too much coffee, I need to knock it on the head, meat and veg for lunch, healthy dinner. All seems good, until you through in the lindt mint chocolate and the whole family size humus or quinoa chips that I will smash later.

I plan on doing something about it but I just need to get this month out of the way. Had a meeting with a global equity partner that ran late and as I was hoping in to the car he asked me to go for a beer with him. That's three pints on a Tuesday night.

It's my post dinner snacks that get me too. Eggs each moring, oats if I was trainng as well as the eggs, too much coffee, I need to knock it on the head, meat and veg for lunch, healthy dinner. All seems good, until you through in the lindt mint chocolate and the whole family size humus or quinoa chips that I will smash later.

I plan on doing something about it but I just need to get this month out of the way. Had a meeting with a global equity partner that ran late and as I was hoping in to the car he asked me to go for a beer with him. That's three pints on a Tuesday night.

I'm lucky insofar that January is a quiet month socially so I'll probably go the entire month without going near a beer, once all the christmas treats are gone (nearly all are now) we'll not buy anything else to replace them so it should be a healthy enough month. Throw in the exercise and hopefully I'll be back to normal by the end of the month.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm meant to get going out on Friday, we made plans ages ago with Neighbours and I was hoping they would fall through by now... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I miss Christmas :( Winter is the absolute worst time of year at work, and those few weeks in December made it tolerable!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I miss Christmas :( Winter is the absolute worst time of year at work, and those few weeks in December made it tolerable!

I absolutely hear you brother. Christmas is absolutely the shining light during Winter.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    I absolutely hear you brother. Christmas is absolutely the shining light during the year.

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I bought a soup mixer in Lidl the other day in an attempt to eat better lunches. Anyone any nice recipes?

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I bought a soup mixer in Lidl the other day in an attempt to eat better lunches. Anyone any nice recipes?

I use this one, it's a bit boring but i love butternut squash.

https://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes/butternut-squash-soup

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

I adore this webpage...every recipe obviously not healthy...but you could always modify them to suit and make more healthy...some of the recipes are amazing tho....

https://www.recipetineats.com/homemade-cream-chicken-soup/

Thanks both! I'm not a massive fan of butternut squash in a soup - it's too sweet for my liking. Roast it in the oven as chips and now you're talking!

A great buy, I love when we make a good soup. We just lash whatever veg is in the fridge that we think may go off soon and hey presto.

If you're going for low carb weight loss avoid the high carb veg, generally the nice ones, like butternut squash, potatoes (incl. sweet), corn, peas etc. As you consume more them due to the easy of eating soup than you would had they not been in liquid form.

A great buy, I love when we make a good soup. We just lash whatever veg is in the fridge that we think may go off soon and hey presto.

If you're going for low carb weight loss avoid the high carb veg, generally the nice ones, like butternut squash, potatoes (incl. sweet), corn, peas etc. As you consume more them due to the easy of eating soup than you would had they not been in liquid form.

That's why I often leave soup chunky - it's more like a stew then and you feel like you've eaten a huge bowl of food.

^^Drool. Chunky soup, with some meat preferably, at this time of year is the best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I often put cannelloni beans, lentils, or some small pasta shapes through the soup too- make it a hearty meal rather than a sad soup. :)

I love making my own soups.
    If you're pushed for time, you can buy a soup veg pack where the vegetables are ready to just boil up. They're great if you're in a hurry- saves the chopping/peeling!

Also, a tin of chopped tomatoes turns vegetable soup into tomato soup with one pour.

We have a machine that we dont chop or peal the veg, maybe we should......

• Advertisement

I made a chicken veg soup last night - two sticks of celery, two carrots, half a spanish onion, a small spud, 1 cooked chicken breast, bit of chicken stock, all into the soup maker & 21 minutes later, it was ready and delicious! Which makes me wonder what the soupmaker is doing that a normal pot doesn't?! I've done that exact recipe several times in a pot and blended it up afterwards and it always tastes a bit bland, but the soupmaker one was full of flavour.

Saturday morning weight check, not doing as well as I thought, actually up a pound!!!

Need to getbdorted this week and get into proper eating mode.

DvB wrote: »
    Saturday morning weight check, not doing as well as I thought, actually up a pound!!!

Need to getbdorted this week and get into proper eating mode.

Haha same result for me. But I did go out for dinner and drinks last night so thinking it maybe that. Got lots of exercise in but really need to focus on the food this week.

Loughc wrote: »
    Haha same result for me. But I did go out for dinner and drinks last night so thinking it maybe that. Got lots of exercise in but really need to focus on the food this week.

Yeah , had a couple of big dinners thursday night and Friday, went out for lunch in work on friday too, so suspect that'd be the cause.

Managed a long walk with the family this morning before the rain came and have been doing housework all day so hopefully that'll help somewhat.

It's all about the food really though and need to stop fooling myself that I'm eating less because it's clear I'm not LOL.

Gonna have a drink or two tonight so starting fresh on Monday.

Had two big nights out over the weekend and two take aways. My work clothes are snug and my body is wrecked from the alcohol. First night was a work night out, then had a boat trip the next day, then I had a course for 9 hours yesterday.

Need to get my arse in gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Had two big nights out over the weekend and two take aways. My work clothes are snug and my body is wrecked from the alcohol. First night was a work night out, then had a boat trip the next day, then I had a course for 9 hours yesterday.

Need to get my arse in gear.

My own 2c - Don't be too hard on yourself!

I did the exact same myself last weekend, out all evening friday, same again sat afternoon, a weekend really of (too much) alcohol, takeaways and lack of sleep/exercise. Thought it was a good idea to have one last Christmas blowout :pac:

But while I was cursing myself until about Wednesday honestly I have lived like a saint this weekend and its given me great perspective. We still need our 'cheat' weekends. I try to look at it as a positive too, I got to meet up with friends, meet new people, unwind from the stresses of everyday life and drink/eat without feeling guilty. The gym will always be there, good times with friends are much more at a premium! I feel the quiet weekend I have this weekend has gone and made up for the indulgences of last.

But basically my point is don't be hard on yourself. Continue to enjoy the 'fun' weekends, we all need our social outlets, but you can even use them as motivation to improve during the week itself or on the quieter weekends also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Exercise is being upped this week. Did very little last week because I was just about making it through the work day and crashing when I got home.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Exercise is being upped this week. Did very little last week because I was just about making it through the work day and crashing when I got home.

I hear that!!! :D

Cheers jr86. I did a 6km run last night then up at 5am for the gym, but only did half a session as I had only an hour. Forgot my breakfast so I am in work starving.

I just need stop the slide in January as I had too many commitments that I cannot train hard. February is where it is at for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Had a pretty good week food wise, couple of treats as was some Christmas cake to be finished off however over all was pretty good. Walking to and from the train station every day as well so exercise up on the previous couple of weeks. Nothing amazing however easing myself back into good habits.

Advertisement