Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,284 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »
    Sorry, I just seen the other post, Glenanne and through my Dad St James Gate.

Ah, good club Glenanne, knew a few girls who played there.
    Was at St. Brendans (before the Phoenix Park merger) & Avoca myself.
    Was trying to get the kids to start up at NDHC but they seem to have taken to the hurling /camogie & Gaelic football so suspect that'll not happen now. Shame, though if they were going to not give it a go to play Hurling & Camogie I'd not be too disappointed as I loved hurling myself & only gave it up when I moved to Avoca to concentrate on Hockey.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jude13

Brendan's were a great club from my memory of my Dad's post match antics when they played them. I played one match against them under my brother's name, as I was with Glennane at the time, both Gate and Brendans were on grass at the time, I think it was the last season of that. They had a handy Sikh centre forward.

Anyway we're boring everyone.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Brendan's were a great club from my memory of my Dad's post match antics when they played them. I played one match against them under my brother's name, as I was with Glennane at the time, both Gate and Brendans were on grass at the time, I think it was the last season of that. They had a handy Sikh centre forward.

Anyway we're boring everyone.

We had some craic on that grass pitch in the hospital grounds, manys the time I'd have to shoot past a keeper & a 'patient' who had wandered onto the pitch. Good times though.

Agree, this has nowt to do with Christmas so we can leave off for a bit.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Ah, good club Glenanne, knew a few girls who played there.

Now I'm picturing Jude in a skirt :eek:

Think I've had too much coffee this morning!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This genuinely made me laugh out loud.
    Sounds like something I'd do (& do, do, to be fair)

LOL'd here too. And yes it is completely something I would do too. In fairness you do need to check how fresh they are a few times before determining their fate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Right folks, first WI at SW tonight, any breakfast and lunch ideas ye can share with me? That's where I struggle to keep things interesting. I imagine but cutting out the sh1te and takeaways should garner a loss in the short term but I'm thinking more long term.

Loughc wrote: »
    Right folks, first WI at SW tonight, any breakfast and lunch ideas ye can share with me? That's where I struggle to keep things interesting. I imagine but cutting out the sh1te and takeaways should garner a loss in the short term but I'm thinking more long term.

I know it's boring however I find porridge a great breakfast. You can make it water or milk, add some fruit or honey etc. I find it really fills me up and keeps me full till lunch time.

For lunch I try to avoid bread so have wraps or stone breads (Tesco) with some humus, meat/chicken and a bit of salad.

I find drinking lots of water helps with the snacking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Slimming World pancakes using your healthy b? I love them, make them still even though I'm not doing SW!

Lunches - soups, couscous done with a bit of curry powder & a load of raw veggies tossed through it, quiches (although I dislike them without the pastry), salads, leftovers from dinner the night before?

I go for porridge, with a sprinkling of sunflower & pumpkin seeds for some crunch and a tiny drizzle of maple syrup to sweeten it up.

or

2 Shredded wheat biscuits, crumbled up with some All Bran & some sultanas.

I use Almond milk on both types of brekkie.

At weekends I tend to go for poached or scrambled eggs on brown toast.

That’s it the party’s over been on a good rampage for the past month. Just Weighed in. I’m the biggest weight I’ve ever been. But it’s done now it’s all down from here :)

• Advertisement

Yup oats for me too, with a little honey. Leave it in the firdge overnight.

At about 10 I have eggs or cottage cheese with peanut butter.

Lunch: I can't eat bread to its always meat and salad. Heads up that wraps have a lot of carbs too, sometimes more than bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

That’s it the party’s over been on a good rampage for the past month. Just Weighed in. I’m the biggest weight I’ve ever been. But it’s done now it’s all down from here :)

I had a routine scan about 5 weeks ag and I was asked to get on the scales. I nearly went out cold when she asked me as I’d been avoiding the scales for years knowing my weight was gone right up since my knee surgery disasters. I was the heaviest I’ve ever been :eek: but stepping in the scales shocked me into reality and I decided there and then things had to change. Doctor weighed me on Tuesday and I’m down 15 lb. I’ve a way to go yet but it’s a good start. You’ll get there :)

6.30am walk with dog done. Will go for a run tonight after work :)

Ah no, and you were doing so well when this thread was in its early days, you lost a shed load IIRC?

Either way, you did it before & you can do it again.

FTR I weighed myself this morning & I'm back to my old walking around weight, still 5lbs up on what I was pre christmas but if I keep away from the junk & keep exercising regularly I reckon I'll get thta back by the end of March for my Nephews confirmation (I'm his sponsor so wouldnt mind being trimmed down)

Have a wedding in 2 1/2 weeks so tried the old suit on last night and wasn't good. As it stands if I don't breath out all day I'll be grand :eek:

Seriously need to get my @ss in gear for the next 17 days.

That is the worst. Especially as I usually let got at weddings, a tight shirt is a no no. After my first year away I came home to all my winter clothes not fitting.

I have a post work course, and exams the two days this weekend so I will be doing zero exercise which will give my calf and shoulder a chance to rest.

Ah no, and you were doing so well when this thread was in its early days, you lost a shed load IIRC?

Either way, you did it before & you can do it again.

FTR I weighed myself this morning & I'm back to my old walking around weight, still 5lbs up on what I was pre christmas but if I keep away from the junk & keep exercising regularly I reckon I'll get thta back by the end of March for my Nephews confirmation (I'm his sponsor so wouldnt mind being trimmed down)

Yeah I was a stone and a half lighter last summer than what I am now and I still had a bit to go last summer.

I went on summer holidays last year and I flipped flopped weight but kinda held my own until Christmas. Had the usual Christmas gain and started Jan well.

We got some bad news in February and my wife declared F-it February, where we would just indulge and let go for a month. After Pancake Tuesday I said that’s enough and am now firmly back on the wagon.

I’m happy now to be back in control and looking forward to losing it all over again.

Yeah I was a stone and a half lighter last summer than what I am now and I still had a bit to go last summer.

I went on summer holidays last year and I flipped flopped weight but kinda held my own until Christmas. Had the usual Christmas gain and started Jan well.

We got some bad news in February and my wife declared F-it February, where we would just indulge and let go for a month. After Pancake Tuesday I said that’s enough and am now firmly back on the wagon.

I’m happy now to be back in control and looking forward to losing it all over again.

Sorry to hear about your bad news :(

Is always good to have something to focus on and keep yourself busy with. If you have done it already then you know you can do it again.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Exercise isn't just of great benefit for your weight control either (even though the key is diet, you'll never out run a poor diet as they say), I always find it fantastic for relieving mental stress also, so when I'm going through a tough time mentally (usually work related mind) I tend to try & make sure I get some regular exercise in, even if its just walking out in the fresh air.
    I suspect once you get back into the groove you'll find yourself being lifted mentally as well, so its a win win situation. I know since I started making the effort a couple of weeks ago to sustain my exercise levels its improved my mental state & sleep immensely, so will be keeping it up for those reasons if nothing else.

Then just to avoid the pancakes, waffles & easter eggs the coming weeks bring :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Sorry to hear, Loughc. :(
    Hope you guys are doing okay now.

For breakfast in work, I have often had overnight oats made with Greek yoghurt, or else porridge and fruit, especially in the winter.

If you're doing SW, a big bowl of 0% Greek yoghurt mixed with various berries/fruit, with a sliced banana thrown in, is very quick and easy, and filling, not to mention FREE. :)

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    If you're doing SW, a big bowl of 0% Greek yoghurt mixed with various berries/fruit, with a sliced banana thrown in, is very quick and easy, and filling, not to mention FREE. :)

Yep this and Wheetabix (HeB) are my 2 go to quick breakfasts. Life savers on SW. I've heard nothing but good things about the overnight oats, I need to get to work on some and get creative with them, some of the ones online look unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I'm very bad during the week, I always use my HEB for my Weetabix, should be more adventurous!

I like making the waffles at the weekend with strawberries, banana and yogurt on top.

kitten_k wrote: »
    I'm very bad during the week, I always use my HEB for my Weetabix, should be more adventurous!

I like making the waffles at the weekend with strawberries, banana and yogurt on top.

Wheetabix is such a safe option tho!

I only hop on and off on it depending if I need by HeB for anything else!

I like doing the Eggs,beans,tomatoes and mediallions on the weekend. Or a breakfast Bagel.

Wheetabix is such a safe option tho!

I only hop on and off on it depending if I need by HeB for anything else!

I like doing the Eggs,beans,tomatoes and mediallions on the weekend. Or a breakfast Bagel.

Bagel with bacon (fat removed of course), cheese and mayo is yummy.

For those of you doing SW this is a good site:

http://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/

I prefer a 'free' breakfast, I don't like using healthy extras so early in the day! :pac:

Just had my first SW Wednesday weigh in and I’m down 6.5lbs :)

Delighted with that :D

Good work fella!

I was down 4.5 on Saturday so was delighted. Was up 2.5 the week before due to lady issues and weighing in at a different time so good to see it going back down. 11lbs in 6 weeks, slow but steady.

• Advertisement

Nice work, guys! :D

Advertisement