Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

They should say that during those gov.ie ads, stay home or get swabbed! :D

Great news on the negative result, it's such a relief! I'm envious of the burgers :)

I had the test back in March, and it was negative. The nasal swab was so uncomfortable my eyes watered, but I had imagined it would be worse.

I'm taking a break for a few days from working out. I strained a muscle, but it's only a minor strain thankfully, so I'm trying to keep it elevated as much as I can. Bit disappointing as I was so happy with my progress. Ah well :)

Would anyone have any suggestions for some tasty healthy snacks? My food in general is good, but my evening snacks let me down. I've tried negotiating with my partner that does the groceries by himself, but he has a sweet tooth and he's really enjoying his freedom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Would anyone have any suggestions for some tasty healthy snacks? My food in general is good, but my evening snacks let me down. I've tried negotiating with my partner that does the groceries by himself, but he has a sweet tooth and he's really enjoying his freedom :pac:

I stick to fruit mostly, though if I have a craving for something sweet love the chocolate orange rice cakes from Dunnes Stores, they go lovely with a cup of tea!

If i fancy a savoury snack I usually have a couple of their chilli rice cakes, they're only 45 calories each or something, & actually quite tasty.

For me snacking is not the problem, its the beer & BBQ's!!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    I stick to fruit mostly, though if I have a craving for something sweet love the chocolate orange rice cakes from Dunnes Stores, they go lovely with a cup of tea!

If i fancy a savoury snack I usually have a couple of their chilli rice cakes, they're only 45 calories each or something, & actually quite tasty.

For me snacking is not the problem, its the beer & BBQ's!!!

The outside of our house is still like a building site so we don't own a bbq yet :(

Thank you, thats a great suggestion, it's just to nibble something while I'm having my tea so I'll be adding those to the shopping list! I used to always get the chocolate and mint rice cakes, don't know if my local dunnes had the orange ones, or they are just that popular that there is none left when I would come along :) the chilli flavour sounds great too!

The outside of our house is still like a building site so we don't own a bbq yet :(

Thank you, thats a great suggestion, it's just to nibble something while I'm having my tea so I'll be adding those to the shopping list! I used to always get the chocolate and mint rice cakes, don't know if my local dunnes had the orange ones, or they are just that popular that there is none left when I would come along :) the chilli flavour sounds great too!

The chilli ones come in a tube shaped pack, theres about 20 in it for €1

The Mrs loves the choc mint rice cakes, we usually get a pack of each, the kids love the caramel ones too but I find them sickly sweet.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I keep a packet of Freddos in the freezer to have with my cup of tea once all the kids are in bed. They last ages if you are dipping them in your tea and give a good chocolate hit. I'm a divil for biscuits (and mindless eating in the evening :o) and I find that if I know I have my Freddo to look forward to in the evening, I can stay on track better. I've long ago realised that I can't do cold turkey on chocolate!

• Advertisement

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I keep a packet of Freddos in the freezer to have with my cup of tea once all the kids are in bed. They last ages if you are dipping them in your tea and give a good chocolate hit. I'm a divil for biscuits (and mindless eating in the evening :o) and I find that if I know I have my Freddo to look forward to in the evening, I can stay on track better. I've long ago realised that I can't do cold turkey on chocolate!

I haven't had a freddo in years!! Thank you, that's a great idea for a Friday treat, another for the shopping list :) I love having something to dunk in my mug of tea :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Week 1 of SW done and I'm down 3lbs :) Delighted with that. Will hope for something similar this week - which would take me into a new stone bracket which is always a bit of motivation! :D

Apologies only getting round to posting now so doing a catchup all round, well done CL 3lbs is brilliant!!
    My exercise regime & diet has gone the way of my social life in the last week, only been out for 1 Run in that time & had a few beverages on both Saturday & Sunday nights, throw in a couple of BBQ's as well and lets just say I need to get my ar£e in gear again... amazing how quickly a few weeks hard work can be scuppered!!
    I should get out this evening but I feel shattered atm, struggling with work stress on top of the ongoing 'games' around our holiday so I'm feeling a tad fragile/anxious & think a few early nights might be the best thing for me & then start fresh over the weekend again.

It's crazy I'm flip flopping from one good week to one bad week. Well mostly one bad weekend, we've had a bbq recently, and my wife in the past week has baked banoffi pie, millionare shortcakes and cupcakes... thankfully I haven't gained any weight in the past 4 weeks, but 2 out of the 4 weeks I've maintained which is purely damage done from the weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jude13

Millionare shortcakes, sure you're only human!

I am semi good during the week but lost it at the weekend again. Shirts are tight. Did a 5km in about 35 degree heat yesterday, it was tough, slept like a baby. Just finished my porridge which should keep me topped up. I am still on antibiotics so I am not back to gyming it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Good old porridge. It's my 'go to' food when hungry and trying to be good. Have been known to have it anytime of the day or night for that matter!

TRS30 wrote: »
    Good old porridge. It's my 'go to' food when hungry and trying to be good. Have been known to have it anytime of the day or night for that matter!

Love it with a mix of sunflower seeds & flax seeds with a drop of maple syrup, its my winter brekkie of choice too!

• Advertisement

Love it with a mix of sunflower seeds & flax seeds with a drop of maple syrup, its my winter brekkie of choice too!

Yea is so versatile, Elf1 likes it with honey, Elf2 with jam, Efl3 with her fruit smoothie, wife with cacao powder and me with sliced banana.

Happy to report that I've jumped right back into my work outs today after taking what was meant to be a 1 week break due to a minor muscle strain, but ended up taking 2 weeks off... No muscle complaints today, which is a relief.
    I was hoping to have maintained my weight over the break (I raided the bad snacks a couple of times :o), so I am delighted to learn I lost 0.5kg. I was lacking motivation, and I was worried I'd struggle to get back on track, so it gave me a great boost before today's work out.
    Feeling a lot more positive :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's great to hear, Eskie. :)

Fair play Eskie! Am hoping to get back to exercise in the next week or so. Local chap is hoping to start doing some outdoor fitness classes so hopefully will join that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Couldn’t resist :p

attachment.php?attachmentid=518427&d=1593563627

That's our German shepherd to a T.

Less said about this thread the better.

Been up to my yes with work the last couple of weeks with plenty of late nights at the desk meaning v.little in the way of exercise & late night eating, meaning I've put back on 4 pounds & can feel them in my trousers too now which is never a good sign!

Ditto, I split a suit pants and am now in my fat suit. Work has been incredibly stressful of late and its too hot to run more than 4km.

*also wine and chips are tasty

Jude13 wrote: »
    Ditto, I split a suit pants and am now in my fat suit. Work has been incredibly stressful of late and its too hot to run more than 4km.

*also wine and chips are tasty

Have managed just 2 5k runs in 3 weeks & one 20k cycle... Oh and beer is still tasty, as are crisps & cake!

Am away on family holiday to Donegal at the end of the month so trying to stay good till then as know the health eating will go out the window that week!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yeah I just had a week off work so you know I ate my weight in crisps, bread, chips and ice cream. Back on the wagon since yesterday.

Finding it hard to get the exercise in, work is crazy busy!!

I haven't been too bad to be honest. I'm craving junk like no tomorrow but managing to hold off. I joined a fitness class on Monday night - it hurts to move my legs today :( But on the upside, I didn't pass out or make a total fool of myself :D

Made the huge mistake of weighing myself this morning after a weekend of over indulgence, had beers, crisps, peanuts on Saturday night alonh with some party food, then double downed yesterday with ice cream & fruit soda bread (2 servings throughout the day)... back up to the heaviest I've been in about 5 years... need to get my act together fast!

DvB, I am beginning to think we are star crossed. I am up also, weighted in this morning. Ate everything around me and had a few wines. I ran 16.5km (two runs) and thought I had at least leveled it out but alas I have put on a kg.

Jude13 wrote: »
    DvB, I am beginning to think we are star crossed. I am up also, weighted in this morning. Ate everything around me and had a few wines. I ran 16.5km (two runs) and thought I had at least leveled it out but alas I have put on a kg.

I blame this forum at this stage LOL... just kidding!

I'm up about 4 lbs in reality from my normal walking around weight for when I'm doing little exercise, but I've been yoyoing between those 2 weights since January and really need to cop on & stop the cycle of being good, getting loads of exercise, getting the weight back off & then blowing all that work it over a week or so of pure eating all around me... I strongly suspect its my mindframe as I've noticed I'm having bad spells where I'm definitely feeling quite down through work stress & other stuff thats just niggling away at me.

A spell of decent weather would help I suspect.

Was doing really well until I had a week off. Put up 3.5lbs. Lost 1.5lbs last week. It’s so frustrating you can put on weight so easily but takes 3 or 4 times that to lose it.

Oh well we go ahead and keep plugging away.

DvB I would be the same in relation to work stress. If you ever need a chat just send me a message, I will reply with a picture of the weight on my scales and you will feel better. I fear it wont be long till its three digits and I use kg's.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Irish94

Would it interest people to join a group of 8 - to focus on weight loss, mindset, habits etc, with the goal of improving general quality of health both physically and mentally? I was thinking of mentoring a group beginning in August/September. No charge, no fee, the only thing I ask for is dedication. Something to hold you accountable. My background is in Food and Health. The reason I'd be doing it is to test my ability as a mentor in a group scenario and to get back into this area of work. I enjoy helping people as best as I can to my ability. If it is something that you might think will interest you or want to know more about me, you can PM me. :) 

How's everyone doing? :) I only realised today that I forgot to weigh myself Monday morning :o my fitness is going up so I'm quite happy. I'm trying to do up a plan at the moment, which day will be legs, core, upper body, kettlebells, maybe even throw in some yoga. Up until now i had veen doing daily full body workouts.
    I have been doing fairly good with food. However, today and tomorrow will be a complete write off, I made a birthday cheesecake for a little garden tea party this evening, I'm really looking forward to it :D

• Advertisement

How's everyone doing? :) I only realised today that I forgot to weigh myself Monday morning :o my fitness is going up so I'm quite happy. I'm trying to do up a plan at the moment, which day will be legs, core, upper body, kettlebells, maybe even throw in some yoga. Up until now i had veen doing daily full body workouts.
    I have been doing fairly good with food. However, today and tomorrow will be a complete write off, I made a birthday cheesecake for a little garden tea party this evening, I'm really looking forward to it :D

oooh, cheesecake!! Love it, especially if of the Baileys variety!

Enjoy!

Advertisement