Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Jude13

Yeah I had it all today, "just one more" that means at least two more. Also telling the guy I was training with the truth about my diet felt like I was confessing to a murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »
    Okay so it begins again, 95kg checking in. I have a target of 8 weeks of pain.

I'm in a similar situation. Had a party of a weekend, ate & drank way too much, weighed myself yesterday morning & nearly fell off the scales. We are awa for a few days at the end of october & have set myself a target for then for a full 1 stone weight loss. If I dont I'll be entering a car crash/train wreck territory after the inevitable christmas weight gain.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Back at it myself from today. Still down 2 stone since January but I was at 2.5 stone and put half a stone back on during the summer.

Savage work Kitten K, I dream of losing two stone.

Still more to go Jude but at least its start. Feel good buying smaller clothes sizes though :D

• Advertisement

Ooh good going, really well done! :) Two stone is my overall goal, or near enough to it anyway.

My routine was non existent last month :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Set myself a target back in January and that was to lose 60lb. I reached that in July and decided to lose another 10. I’ve made it to 66 and have been stuck there the last couple of weeks. The last 4lb is killing me :(. I’m fine at my current weight but would like a little buffer.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Set myself a target back in January and that was to lose 60lb. I reached that in July and decided to lose another 10. I’ve made it to 66 and have been stuck there the last couple of weeks. The last 4lb is killing me :(. I’m fine at my current weight but would like a little buffer.

That is absolutely amazing work...:eek: wow!! You should be so proud of yourself!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

66lbs!!! That's AMAZING!!! Well done!

That's a brilliant achievement especially considering everything that has been happening this year!

• Advertisement

That is just fantastic! An amazing achievement!!

Thanks everyone. I love being skinny again - that weight crept up on me over a 3.5 year “series of unfortunate events” so it's good to be rid of it :D

:eek: I think you have won this thread. That is amazing, I can only imagine the dedication and sacrifices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

That is incredible well done!!

I’m a disaster. I lost over 3 stone January 2018. Here I am now back at the same damn weight. I had crept up slowly and then lockdown just blew me completely out of the water trying to work with no childcare and very limited sleep. But tbh that’s excuses. I ate every calorie. Enjoyed some. Felt guilty for most. Not sure why I do it to myself tbh.

I’m finally back into some sort of routine as of yesterday. And then last night both kids were up so I got 4hrs sleep. I’m a zombie. I really find the sleep deprivation makes it so so difficult to make good choices.

But I’m really not happy with my clothes not fitting me so here goes again. It’s going to have to be hour by hour. And possibly going to bed with the kids for a few days to break the evening snacking habits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I’m a disaster. I lost over 3 stone January 2018. Here I am now back at the same damn weight. I had crept up slowly and then lockdown just blew me completely out of the water trying to work with no childcare and very limited sleep. But tbh that’s excuses. I ate every calorie. Enjoyed some. Felt guilty for most. Not sure why I do it to myself tbh.

I’m finally back into some sort of routine as of yesterday. And then last night both kids were up so I got 4hrs sleep. I’m a zombie. I really find the sleep deprivation makes it so so difficult to make good choices.

But I’m really not happy with my clothes not fitting me so here goes again. It’s going to have to be hour by hour. And possibly going to bed with the kids for a few days to break the evening snacking habits

I can relate to the lack of sleep issue and definitely agree it leads to bad food choices. The thoughts of cooking was too much so we would eat ready made stuff which generally wasn't the healthiest.

One thing to try is batch cooking. My wife would make a big pot of soup/stew and then we have it over a few days with say some brown bread.

Also agree with going to bed with the kids. Many night one of us would go straight to bed once we got the kids down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

TRS30 wrote: »
    I can relate to the lack of sleep issue and definitely agree it leads to bad food choices. The thoughts of cooking was too much so we would eat ready made stuff which generally wasn't the healthiest.

One thing to try is batch cooking. My wife would make a big pot of soup/stew and then we have it over a few days with say some brown bread.

Also agree with going to bed with the kids. Many night one of us would go straight to bed once we got the kids down.

Whatever you do try and make your "diet" not a "diet" if you know what I am saying, you can eat well and still enjoy the food you like, You should never feel guilty about enjoying a nice bun and a cuppa but make sure there are times where you can can say actually no I don't need that today and I am only eating it for the sake of it.

I found IIFYM (if it fits your macros) has always worked well for me long term, I have been in better shape by meal prepping and eating chicken and turkey burgers everyday but long term that just not sustainable for me personally.

Learn to count calories first and use websites like https://tdeecalculator.net/ to found out what your calorie maintenance is, eat less calories then your maintenance daily and you will lose weight, eat more calories then your maintenance daily and your will gain weight simple as that really.

Get a good calorie tracker app and try it for a week, after a few month you will be so used to tracking calories you probably wont need to do it as much anymore then as you will roughly know.

A few years ago when I was getting back in shape I use myfitnesspal for calorie tracking and found it great, very easy to use & you could scan in barcodes to give calorie content v weights etc. I Assume its still available (& free!) and I know if I need to go doen that route again I'd definitely be looking at using it.

I can relate too about the sleep. I get up early (5:30/6 depending on what the day has in store) so I get to work for 7am to enable me to leave at 6pm on the button so I get to the see the wee one before bed. After she goes to bed at 7.30-8pm it' either a bit more work or tv then bed at 9.30pm

yeah the early starts are a killer. Especially as the days get darker. I gte up at 5.45am and have noticed how much darker it is at that time in the last week or so. Usually get into the office for 7.15-7.30 depending on traffic & by the time I get home at 6.30ish i'm already knackered. Very easy if sitting watching some tv to get suckered into indulging on the treats front, & that's assuming we've had time/will to prepare a healthy dinner beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I just started back using MyFitnessPal yesterday and as with mirrorwall, this is going to be an hour by hour, meal by meal struggle. I hate tracking calories but I know I need to at the same time. I find even the effort of knowing I have to track something might put me off eating it :D E.g. OH wasn't feeling his best yesterday, alot of work-related stress and asked if I would get him some crisps at the shop which I did. Normally I might also buy myself some chocolate or something but I didn't. I had 3-4 crisps out of his bag and that was it. Baby steps :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I hear ya, I'm almost back at my biggest weight too. I lost 1.5 stone from March -May and I've put back on a stone since then.... I just can't get my head in the game, I think we have so much other things going on I can't focus, I need to get my arse in gear before Christmas or I won't be able to enjoy my break.

Loughc wrote: »
    I need to get my arse in gear before Christmas or I won't be able to enjoy my break.

My concern (as I'm with ya here) is that I'll still enjoy the break (& quite possibly too much, if you get my drift) & then come January I'll really be hit with the behemoth of January blues with Christma sover for another year & me being the size of a sofa!

I agree though, its been an exceptional year with a lot going on in the world to upset our natural way of thinking & behaving so we really do need to cut ourselves some slack in reality, but in saying that, we cant stay in this mental fug too long or it'll have a detrimental affect on our mental & physical health which is in itself enough of a stimulus to get our collective arses in gear.

I on my myfitnesspal too. It's a cruel mistress.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I actually kind of enjoy logging everything into My fitness pal. In the months leading up to Christmas I tend to do quite well with healthy eating. I eat lots of porridge and healthy stews that I wouldn't eat during the summer. Now that some semblance of normality is coming back I'm finding it easier to keep routines and I've been prepping food as part of that. I put on a stone since Covid so that has to go! I want to enjoy Christmas with the nice cheese, the dinner, the few drinks relatively guilt free. I've set a goal of running a 10k the weekend of my birthday in November so that should hopefully keep me on track.
    Last year we placed an embargo on the tubs of celebrations and selection boxes and the like coming in to the house. We said if we want chocolate we'll buy a bar, we don't need mountains of it to hand..... Because we'll eat it! That's the plan this year too!

I started small today with streaks. I got all my fluids on board, ate a properly healthy 2/3 meals and haven’t smacked so I’m very happy with that considering I was around temptation all day. One small step at a time. I know how to calorie count. I know how to set up my plate. I know my protein needs. I just don’t like doing it

Jude13 wrote: »
    :eek: I think you have won this thread. That is amazing, I can only imagine the dedication and sacrifices.

Nice to win something - hopefully the lotto next :D. On a serious note, it wasn’t very difficult. I got a wake up call when I was weighed for a routine scan and that shocked me into action. After that the stars really aligned for me and everything fell into place. Working from home gave me the time to go walking in the mornings and a very supportive family was a great help. I am a determined person when I put my mind to it and I definitely put my mind into this. I will say to anyone looking to lose weight that My Fitness Pal is a great app, it really helped me and I plan to keep using it Also, Audible or good playlists for walking.

Though I will complain about myfitness pal (how is one chicken breast X kcals and another is X +50% kcals?) it does keep me in line....for the past three days that I have been using it. Though I used it for 3 months straight in the past and it worked well.

I had the gym at 6am this morning and my god. I still see myself doing preseasons like a mad man, killing myself, puking, getting up and keeping going. 15 years later and I am almost fainting after 30 mins. The prowler had me hoping there was a heaven as I thought I was going to be at the gates.

It doesnt help that my OH can push almost twice the weight I can on the thing.

I found fitness pal great in short bursts. I make most meals from scratch, and similar to above, i found it annoying and confusing when it came up with varying calories. I do have a good handle on my food, but lately I've struggled to ignore the snacks my OH brings home :o
    I'm also kicking myself for not getting back into my exercise routine sooner as I have a wedding this side of Christmas. I'm excited, but not very confident I'll fit into any of my nice clothes after my little break :D

• Advertisement

Snacks are my downfall also. Those lentil or quinoa chips with hummus dip, I can do a family size bag easily in one sitting.

I have been put a on a big calorie deficit and gym sessions min 3 times a week. I also am trying to do 12k steps s day. I have missed one day at just over 11k. I did 23k yesterday due to being made to play golf, that wont happen for another 6 months I hope.

We had a pal over Friday who was stuck in the UK for 6 months, he brought champagne and gluten free cakes. It was painful not partaking. This never bloody happens.

I started last Tuesday (with a five guys last super the Monday night), not quite a week yet so wont post an update till the full week is out. I know the first week is generally body shock and loss of water and it will plateau a bit after.

Im really trying this time.

Advertisement