Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

That's great CheerLouth, well done! I'd love to be able to crochet :)

I seriously need to go on a detox from all the junk I've had in the past month. I had to postpone my dietitian appointment because there was no point telling them about how I'm getting on when I've been eating all the worst foods imaginable. The honeymoon is over now :pac:
    Some good news, my blood tests are consistently healthy, everything is going in the right direction! So just need to get my food and fitness back on track :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ah, be grand- you can let yourself go now that you're married. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

L'prof wrote: »
    Month 1: -2.6lbs
    Week 5: -3.2lbs
    Week 6: +1lb
    Week 7: -1.2lbs
    Week 8: +0.6lbs

Back on track this week. Good week overall. Couldn’t avoid the beers & bbq at the weekend with the weather being so good. I could have very easily had a bad week so I’m happy out. I think I’ll continue to summarise my weeks into months for tidiness

Month 2: -2.8lbs
    Week 9: -1.8lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Jude13

Okay lads and ladies, I am going to try again. On 01 Sept 20 I was 95kg, on 12 Dec 20 I got to 77kg. I never intended to get that low and it was more of two fingers to a couple of people who said I couldnt. I was hovering around 80 at a Christmas. I seem my perfect weight at 80-82kg.

I have since found pints (pubs are open here), the thrash food after that night and the next day. Also was a bit ill and stressed. Anyway. I weighed myself yesterday as a started then hit the gym and cardio so today is mainly water loss. But Im back tracking.

01 May: 88.2kg
    02 May: 87.4kg

I will do it on a weekly basis. I am not going to go mad like the last time as it was a mission but want to hit 82kg, and if I can 80kg in in the next two months.

Not a bother to ya at all Jude. Looking forward to seeing your progress again. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The only thing that puts me off converting to kilos is its harder to lose a full kilo being 2.2 lbs... always feel better losing lbs... makes little sense in reality i know but I always feel 2.2 lbs loss sounds better than 1 kilo... Little victories and all that...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Im the opposite, I haven't used stone since I was a young kid and I grew up in Ireland. Haven't used lbs since I was in the states. Stone etc. means nothing to me now. The EU changed to metric in 1980 and Ireland fully in 2005. Fun fact, only three countries officially use imperial USA, Myanmar and Liberia.

I will post updates as per my last ones, in kg & lbs just for it to be easier to read for the posters from Myanmar and Liberia because I'm sound like that.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Im the opposite, I haven't used stone since I was a young kid and I grew up in Ireland. Haven't used lbs since I was in the states. Stone etc. means nothing to me now. The EU changed to metric in 1980 and Ireland fully in 2005. Fun fact, only three countries officially use imperial USA, Myanmar and Liberia.

I will post updates as per my last ones, in kg & lbs just for it to be easier to read for the posters from Myanmar and Liberia because I'm sound like that.

LOL... the funny thing is that in work it's all metric, same with driving speeds, distances etc. But the things I can't get used to converting is pints for beer feet and inches for bodyheight and stones/pounds for my bodyweight... and im far too old to change now...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    LOL... the funny thing is that in work it's all metric, same with driving speeds, distances etc. But the things I can't get used to converting is pints for beer feet and inches for bodyheight and stones/pounds for my bodyweight... and im far too old to change now...

I’m with ya. I always have to use a calculator convert to KG, it makes no sense to me. Used stone & pounds for too long. Either way it’s not pretty. I could be a heavyweight boxer :p

DvB wrote: »

I'm the same, I work in metric units all day but you have me at pints. I will never say 'can I have 568ml's of your finest Clonmel Champagne'

• Advertisement

I used to go by stone and lbs but with having to get treatment every couple of weeks in hospital, they weigh me in kg, and I got tired of converting it each time so I changed. I remember back in national school when they were trying to use kg, they used a kilo bag of Siucra as a reference point and it stuck with me. Each time I weigh myself, I'm amused at how many bags of sugar I am.

It's now a whole year since I decided to jump on the band wagon and get fit and healthy. I've fallen off a couple of times, but I'm happy that I've not given up completely.
    I'm going to be coming up with a plan to wean myself off certain things, cold turkey didn't work for me. I also need to get walking more, my routine is all over the place the last two months.

Routine is a great way to put it. I had to break the old routine last year and it took me a month. Then loved the new routine of training, however that one was easily lost compared to the tough to kick bad routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    Routine is a great way to put it. I had to break the old routine last year and it took me a month. Then loved the new routine of training, however that one was easily lost compared to the tough to kick bad routine.

I'm the same, I love routine which is terrible when I'm in a bad one and great when in a good one! I struggled to get back into the exercise routine however now that I'm in it I find it easy enough. I like to get up early and get it done first thing, I find that makes it less likely that I will skip it or find an excuse not to do it.

Similar to you Jude, around 82kg is 'prime' weight. I tried to get lower and found I have to starve myself a bit which I didn't like and much over that and I can feel the extra weight. I have have around 81-83kg for the last while and seems to know what/how much I can eat to stay there based on amount of exercise I do.

I find the length conversion much harder, have always used feet and inches and still struggle with metres and cms!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I've started a new Couch to 5k program with the local gym...needed a change up. We've been doing zoom classes since Christmas but they were getting very tedious. First run yesterday evening and managed 3km in 20 minutes :D No record breaking but I'm delighted that I was able to keep running for the 20 minutes :) I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed running

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Nice work!

I've had 'do the C25' on my to do list for about a decade, but have yet to actually do it. :pac:

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I've started a new Couch to 5k program with the local gym...needed a change up. We've been doing zoom classes since Christmas but they were getting very tedious. First run yesterday evening and managed 3km in 20 minutes :D No record breaking but I'm delighted that I was able to keep running for the 20 minutes :) I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed running

To keep running for 20 mins for your fist time back is savage. You'll kill the 5km in no time.

Averaging 6.5 mins a KM... thats not to be sniffed at at all. As Jude said, you'll be killing the 5km in no time. I reckon you'll well beat 30 minutes for the 5km too.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Thanks all - I'm pretty happy with it! The last time I ran properly was three babies ago :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Thanks all - I'm pretty happy with it! The last time I ran properly was three babies ago :eek:

I'm the opposite, i haven't stopped running (around!) since first one arrived :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi all, hope ye are all keeping well in here :-) I came in here for a bit of motivation cos I basically don’t have a lot of it lately - ever have a period where you just don’t want to/can’t drag yourself out the door for a walk? Everything is so samey in my life and obviously the pandemic isn’t helping but I’m just so sick of that same walks day in, day out! I know it would probably make me feel better if I did go out but I still can’t bring myself to do it! Can’t believe we are nearly into May…where is this year going and nothing is happening?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi all, hope ye are all keeping well in here :-) I came in here for a bit of motivation cos I basically don’t have a lot of it lately - ever have a period where you just don’t want to/can’t drag yourself out the door for a walk? Everything is so samey in my life and obviously the pandemic isn’t helping but I’m just so sick of that same walks day in, day out! I know it would probably make me feel better if I did go out but I still can’t bring myself to do it! Can’t believe we are nearly into May…where is this year going and nothing is happening?!

The good news for me is I can bring myself to go for a walk pretty much everyday even the days I have zero interest.

The bad news is I cannot stop shovelling food into my mouth. I am literally at my heaviest weight ever and I can’t get back on track. I’m with you Leahyl I need a motivation boost so it’s time to stop avoiding this thread.

The year is absolutely flying and strangely I think that’s because there’s nothing to do! Selfishly I hope it continues to fly in this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

leahyl wrote: »
    Loughc wrote: »
    The good news for me is I can bring myself to go for a walk pretty much everyday even the days I have zero interest.

The bad news is I cannot stop shovelling food into my mouth. I am literally at my heaviest weight ever and I can’t get back on track. I’m with you Leahyl I need a motivation boost so it’s time to stop avoiding this thread.

The year is absolutely flying and strangely I think that’s because there’s nothing to do! Selfishly I hope it continues to fly in this year!

I'm back there with you both. Having lost 5 stone last year I have put back on about a stone or so since November. I couldn't get motivated at all but finally decided that today would be my day to get back into it. Leahyl - have you ever considered Audiobooks or podcasts, I find them a great way to pass the time on my morning walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I'm back there with you both. Having lost 5 stone last year I have put back on about a stone or so since November. I couldn't get motivated at all but finally decided that today would be my day to get back into it. Leahyl - have you ever considered Audiobooks or podcasts, I find them a great way to pass the time on my morning walks.

Cheers for the reply. The thing is I do like walking and I was flying the first 3 months of the year but since just before Easter I’ve just fallen off the wagon. I’m quite down on myself as well cos life is just at a standstill and I can’t see things changing in any part of it….it’s just bleh! I’m just going through a phase with the walking, I’m sure I’ll get back into it again…I’ve organised a walk with a friend for tomorrow evening (she’s not available this evening!) so that’ll be nice. I do listen to podcasts when I’m walking sometimes so must get back into that. My mind wanders easily though, I have trouble concentrating on things these days.

Btw, well done for losing 5 stone!! That’s amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

Back here again. Have tried a few times I the past year but just couldn't seem to get my head in the game. I have now rejoined weight watchers, which I personally don't like, but something's got to give. And ww is the easiest to do while also feeding 3 kids. I just needed some accountability and to pay for something as then I'm more motivated to get my money's worth. 2 weeks in and 6lbs down. I did ww about 15 years ago after my fist child and lost 35lbs in 4 months. I never got near that max weight again until the last 6 months. It's a 12 week sub and finishes just before my 45th birthday. I am determined to look and feel great (and fit into my lovely clothes again) by then.
    Posting here cos maybe that'll be extra motivation to get there, if I can rouse my competitive side I'll be sorted. Also starting small with the workouts, a few 10 minute ones during the week and hoping to build up to longer ones. And as soon as the swimming pool is open again in June I'll be there as that's my sport of choice but I haven't been near the water in over a year. Must try the sea too. Well done to all the successes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/huge-great-white-shark-making-20459113?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

For anyone considering open water swimming any day soon :D:eek: I think I'll stick to walking.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/huge-great-white-shark-making-20459113?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

For anyone considering open water swimming any day soon :D:eek: I think I'll stick to walking.

Thank you for giving me an excuse to not be bikini ready :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

Thankfully I'm not near Cork

L'prof wrote: »

If we could just ban bank holidays and birthdays then it would be so much easier to resist temptation. Very tempted to skip logging this week but I’m hoping by doing so it will help motivate me more for the next few weeks

Week 10: +2.8lbs

L'prof logging is so important, I need to get back in to it. Just luck ate your averages, they're great, you had one blip but make it the outlier.

I went to the gym to run after work as its too hot now to run outside. I went one close to work in the CBD and never again. It was a serious poser gym, people instagraming away. I had on 10 year old rugby shorts in taters and dodgy free top from something or other and felt out of place. Did a 10km, the amount of sweat. Then undid it all with 3 pints of cider at a BD event in the evening.

• Advertisement

Thanks Jude. Ah yeah, I just have to keep my eye on the long game. There’ll be many blips ahead I’m sure

You earned your pints man. Guilt free when you put in a shift like that. That’s our one saving grace here that the pubs are closed. Granted I wouldn’t be able to go too often anymore with young kids but I’m sure creamy Guinness will be had soon. Can’t wait

Advertisement