Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I weighed myself this morning - down 2lbs so delighted with that and hope to continue it this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Jude13

Okay trying this again.

Week 0: 90.5kg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

That's not a bad starting weight for you if I remember previous posts. You must be something OK at the minute.

Cheers, its allot better than 2 years ago (95kg-77kg in approx. 12 weeks). I went militant on cals (1500, then to 1250 cals a day) and exercising like a loon. I will not be doing that again.

The plan is:

Have myfitnesspal set to 1,500 cals a day but not be too strict.

Exercise but it has to fit around work.

No booze until the end of September.

Sounds like a reasonable plan and one you can realistically stick to.

• Advertisement

Cheers, but you havent seen the goodies stacked in the press!!

Aren't you suppose to throw them in the bin as some kind of self cleansing exercise 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

If by bin you mean stomach then yes, I’m sure we all do that 🤣

They are all gluten free goodies though (dont know why this makes a difference but it does, also I am coeliac). I have brought back a load of GF white and black pudding from my recent trip and it would be a crime not to eat them.

I got amazing result reverting to my diet of a young man but I went too strict and didnt enjoy it. Going for a softer approach. Still weighing most of my food to ensure my portions meet my macos/cals. But if I really want something I will factor it in a bit. If I go over 1,500 cals a day by a hundred or so I am not going to beat myself up about it.

Sounds like a good approach. I have to be militant when I'm dieting as I have zero will power especially when it comes to biscuits!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I started back calorie counting 2 weeks ago and started back at a new gym this week. Had my second PT session this morning.

My arms are aching like never before. This gym is more weight focused than cardio so it’s going to be a big change for me. But that might be good to shake up the body/routine.

I'm sure I read some where studies had proven that lifting weights burns more fat then cardio. Also, as you said, the change in stimulation will help deliver results as well.

I am a big proponent to lifting weight (I am stick figure with massive gut so no adonis) to lose weight. I dont have the $ for PT at the moment as we are house saving.

@TRS30 I am the same, I just stuffed my face full of 'healthy' crisps about three minutes ago.

It's like me with anything 'protein' on it. Must be good for me so can never eat too much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭DvB

There's arguments for both, but pretty much everyone I trust in the sports/health field says a mix of both is best, especially as you get older.

I just find weight training so bloody boring.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Yes, probably should have said a combination of the two is optimal for lots of reasons.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’m also doing bootcamp classes for my cardio. They’re usually good to cause a sweat.

I cant think of anything worse (and better for me) than a boot camp.

A mix is defo the way to go, though if you want to gain some muscle cardio can kill that. Dr. Stoppani does some good stuff on HIT v steady state (running etc) cardio for weight loss.

One of the reason I do weights not cardio is time, I usually do my exercise before work so if I want to so a 10km, that will take 1.5 hours including shower etc. Whereas weights is 45 mins. The main other reason is I sweat like my skin is a sieve. If I do any cardio, I will be sweating for two hours, even after a long cold shower. That doesnt go well with work.

My cardio, long (for me) slow runs, I do for my mental health. If I get home and I feel short tempered and cant leave work at the door I throw on the shoes and run until I man up.

Always found the cardio great for the mental health as well. I'm a big fan of getting out & getting active as often as I can. I've actually found when I stop focusing on my weight & relax about things it tends to work itself out. Other than cutting out any OTT junk food and getting out walking daily during the summer I've managed to lose a tiny bit under 7 lbs (3 kg) and that was spending 10 hours a day chained to a desk!! Sometimes we can focus on the details far too much & lose sight of the big picture. Since I reached the grand old age of 50 earlier this year I just decided life was for living and that work gave me enough stress for anyone, so I've tried consciously to be more relaxed about most things & its slowly but surely starting to have an affect on me.

Some people still irk me, but that's always going to happen, so I just try to let it go and not dwell on it so much when they do. Getting the hang of it now & its definitely helping me sleep easier at night.

TLDR = don't sweat the small stuff.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I want your frame of mind, and most likely also frame!

• Advertisement

LOL, I'm a tad shorter than you I suspect ( 5'7" ) so weight comparisons are unlikely to be apples for apples 😃 and at 76kg for my height, its still higher than I (& my GP) would like it to be... Though I was always a bit more relaxed about the scales from the time I was at my fittest ever and was classed as obese on the BMI scale!! I rely on how my clothes fit me moreso (I really only react to them feeling tight more than numbers on the scales)

Can relate to a lot of this. Was much more career focused a few year ago especially before kids came along and use to work mental hours, crap diet, drank too much, not enough sleep etc. However in the last 10 years or so have changed all that, exercise now regularly, eat much better and moved to a much less stressful work area in my field.

As you said something/people still annoy me however I'm much more relaxed about work and life in general and very little keeps me awake at night (still a terrible sleeper however that's an another whole issue!).

Not a strict week but did well. Week 1 usually is a big drop so I expect other weeks to be less. I wasl 89.7kg yesterday, the day before my self imposed weigh in, so I celebrated being under 90kg with four (4) chocolate biscuits, bacon, 2 squares of dark chocolate, and a position of cinema popcorn.

Week 0: 90.5kg

Week 1: 89.8kg (-0.7kg) Think that about 1.5lb in old money.

Cheers dude.

Position = portion of course

Did an OMEM thing last night. Looked easy enough on paper, it was puke city, all done outside at night (30-33C).

"EMOM in 10 minutes:

·        5 Air Squats

·        5 Push-ups

·        5 Crunches

Every minute on the minute perform all exercises in the order given. Aim to finish with about 7-10 seconds to spare, if this is not possible, reduce the number of reps."

That was the kind of warm up, no break and straight into 13.5kg/30kg dumb bell curls (round 1) shoulder over head press (round 2) , as many in a minute as you can, in between round 1 and 2 you run 2km. I have no idea what round 3 was as I was afraid I would puke or defecate myself.

I didnt sleep well as I was too wrecked, if that makes sense, and couldn't get my core temperature down. I was flirting with doing preseason with a rugby team (vets/over 35) but that's out the window now. I just wouldn't enjoy it and life's too short.

That sounds pretty hardcore especially when you throw in the heat factor. You lasted long then I would have!

Post edited by TRS30 on

I was not the oldest or heaviest doing it but I was bat far the least fit. I skulked away to die at home.

GAA training of the u11 girls & u11 boys starts back tonight so I have 2 hours of training with them twice a week, as I generally do the cardio elemnt with them & try to be as hands on/involved as possible at least thats my exercise levels increasing again.

Managed to add a couple of pounds (1kg) on over the 3 day camping trip, but given the nature of the eating/drinking that was to be expected. As that was the last big thing we had planned between now & Christmas I have 4 months to look after myself before the holidays. Just gonna keep doing what I was and hopefully it'll look after itself.

I admire your commitment to killing yourself @Jude13 but I'm far too old & fragile for that kind of carry on now so will be far more passive in my attempts at maintaining a reasonable weight. Then I can destroy it on holidays!!

• Advertisement

I admire your patience to coach kids. I tried coaching teens at rugby man moons ago, not for me.

Also, pray for me a I limp around. I also somehow forgot the box jumps to go with the air squats. I struggle to get seated and unseat from the jacks today. Im getting to old for this (lethal weapon style). I am failing to out train a year of bad diet.

Advertisement