Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder house

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I'd say that there are a lot of older houses where things that would nowadays be considered as child abuse and marital rape took place on weekly basis; but people live in those houses today, happy and oblivious.

The only difference being that murders always make the newspapers, whereas spousal abuse, child abuse, or suicide would not.

OP - if you visit the house, you will probably know yourself already if it is likely to prey on your mind or not. If it doesn't, and you manage to negotiate a discount on the purchase price, I would say to go for it.

amen to this. The house where I spent my childhood was just such a house, filled with darkness. Sold fine but I could never have lived there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Moomintroll99

I had a friend in Australia whose dad was murdered in his home, really horribly, it was literally a horror movie style axe wielding maniac, the absolute stuff of your worst nightmares.

She was dealing with his estate and really worried about selling the place because this was headline news, everyone knew both in the town and across the country.

At the first open for inspection, there were 3 different buyers all delighted at the idea that they would get a bargain because they could handle the history of the place and no one else could. They all bid against each other and she ended up getting market value for it, and the buyer redecorated and moved straight in with his wife & kids.

So for some it's a dealbreaker but for others a weird kind of dealmaker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Would anyone live in that house in Cavan where the loony murdered his wife and children before hanging himself in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Listened to an episode of casefile recently and it covered this topic from Australia.

An estate agent failed to disclose the houses horrible history and they were fined and the law changed.

Search Gonzalez Murder House for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Maybe not the best user name for this thread OP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭D3V!L

canonball5 wrote: »
    Maybe not the best user name for this thread OP :)

I have insider sources for my tip off :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

D3V!L wrote: »
    I have insider sources for my tip off :cool:
    The murder tipped you off so you could make a killing on the property price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭D3V!L

the_syco wrote: »
    The murder tipped you off so you could make a killing on the property price?

Yes.....

Thats exactly what I meant. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭3DataModem

begbysback wrote: »
    Statistically it’s safer to buy a house where there has been a violent murder.

(The chances of it happening twice are irrelevant, as it has already happened once. Your chance of winning the lottery doesn't reduce just because you won it last week.)

Perhaps the opposite is true... maybe it is MORE likely to happen again depending on the circumstances;

I "know someone" who was subject to a home invasion. The convicted person returned to the house (outside window looking in) within a year of the incident. If they came back again the another year later they'd have found new occupants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭worded

Would the house be around the Naul??

A stab in the dark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Get Real

Probably wouldn't myself if I knew a murder occurred there in my lifetime. Not sure why, but that's the "rule" I'd apply.

It has also reminded me of " Ahhhhh! Purple drapes!!"

Advertisement