Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DPS isn't capped at €134 it seems...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

Ok. Haven't read the whole thread but got medication in several pharmacies about a year ago totalling over €134 in one month. Was informed that for the cap to be in effect at time of purchase everything had to be from the one pharmacy. Was directed to HSE refund form. Filled it in and posted it to Drug Refund Section - yes, a bit of an inconvenience but I survived. They refunded me a few weeks later for the excess over €134 that month.

And thereafter the issue didn't arise as I stayed with the one pharmacy.

Interesting. So this contradicts Locum-motions theory...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Not necessarily - THAT pharmacy may have sold at a margin in line with what the HSE purchases for that particular product.

The excerpt from the form I reproduced above indicates you may lose out if you don't use the same pharmacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Graces7 wrote: »
    Because of the distances and other obligations. Driving an extra 60 miles so you can get to the same pharmacy? Especially if you are unwell...

Go to the one you live nearest too? Would that not make the most sense when your using a scheme like DPS. I know some people tend to bring it to the pharmacy near their jobs etc but DPS should be used in your nearest pharmacy with the best accessibility IMO.

Granted if you live somewhere really rural this is difficult sometimes to find however DPS is a good scheme despite its flaws.

Not necessarily - THAT pharmacy may have sold at a margin in line with what the HSE purchases for that particular product.

The excerpt from the form I reproduced above indicates you may lose out if you don't use the same pharmacy.

Fuaranach stated "several" pharmacies... So what's the likelihood that "several" pharmacies had the same margins ??

Fuaranach stated "several" pharmacies... So what's the likelihood that "several" pharmacies had the same margins ??

Not clear, what's the point you're making, that the HSE singled you out and didn't refund you the excess (per policy) and did for Fuaranach?

• Advertisement

Some pharmacies don't charge a mark up at all and only charge a dispensing fee. Their is no hard and fast rule in the pharmacy industry in terms of either mark up or dispensing fees and it's extremely difficult at times to get an answer from pharmacies on this.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Go to the one you live nearest too? Would that not make the most sense when your using a scheme like DPS. I know some people tend to bring it to the pharmacy near their jobs etc but DPS should be used in your nearest pharmacy with the best accessibility IMO.

Granted if you live somewhere really rural this is difficult sometimes to find however DPS is a good scheme despite its flaws.

Circumstances make the pharmacy closest to work the most accessable. If you read my original post you'll understand the situation I was in that lead to me starting this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭daheff

It's not always possible for people living in the countryside....

Why not? Surely you go to the most convenient pharmacy to you?

Also, if you do have to go to another pharmacy than your regular one, show them the DPS card & get the DPS rates.

A lot of them have agreements in place that they will check with other pharmacy and you wont pay over the 134 EUR amount.

Not clear, what's the point you're making, that the HSE singled you out and didn't refund you the excess (per policy) and did for Fuaranach?

Quite clear if you care to read through the ongoing discussion. Not stating that I was singled out at all. Flawed system with unclear guidelines for the public.

daheff wrote: »
    Why not? Surely you go to the most convenient pharmacy to you?

Also, if you do have to go to another pharmacy than your regular one, show them the DPS card & get the DPS rates.

A lot of them have agreements in place that they will check with other pharmacy and you wont pay over the 134 EUR amount.

Consider reading the OP and subsequent replies.

• Advertisement

Quite clear if you care to read through the ongoing discussion. Not stating that I was singled out at all. Flawed system with unclear guidelines for the public.

I am following, fascinated.

How was your last post re Locum to do with a flawed system?

The only thing "flawed" about it is that it's not as convenient as desired. If they brought in a linked computerised system would you be happy to pay more than the €134 per month to fund the development.

I am following, fascinated.

How was your last post re Locum to do with a flawed system?

The only thing "flawed" about it is that it's not as convenient as desired. If they brought in a linked computerised system would you be happy to pay more than the €134 per month to fund the development.

Locum implied that because I had not used the same pharmacy I was always going to be charged. Fuaranach used "several pharmacies" in the same month and was fully refunded.

Yes, I'd be quite happy to pay more for a well designed, implemented system with clear guidelines. Quite a simple thing to do really in today's world. Just not in Ireland it seems.

Locum implied that because I had not used the same pharmacy I was always going to be charged. Fuaranach used "several pharmacies" in the same month and was fully refunded.

He pointed it out that it could happen. That's fact and notified on the form you filled out.

Yes, I'd be quite happy to pay more for a well designed, implemented system with clear guidelines. Quite a simple thing to do really in today's world. Just not in Ireland it seems.

From your extensive research name the many countries with a more efficient and beneficial service?

BTW, how much was the 32% equivalent to in cash terms that was kept back by the HSE?

Circumstances make the pharmacy closest to work the most accessable. If you read my original post you'll understand the situation I was in that lead to me starting this thread.

I was replying to Grace, I directly quoted her. I understand your original post, I was caught out a number of years ago and as such changed the way I used the service so as not to be caught out again at times of holiday etc. Granted I'm not rural so to speak so I've had more accessible options than you but if you've got one close to home that opens a Saturday then they would be where I'd be going in future.

Also I dont think anyone has disagreed with your flawed system complaints, its most definitely a flawed system that's not going to change in the short to medium term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...Also, if you do have to go to another pharmacy than your regular one, show them the DPS card & get the DPS rates.

Regardless of showing anyone a card, you do not become eligible to avail of what you call DPS rates until you and your family hit the threshold in that pharmacy and in that month. When the pharmacy dispenses a sub-threshold prescription on say the third of the month, they do not know if you will hit the threshold by presenting another prescription later in the month. It's a private prescription, at private prescription rates. If you later pass the threshold, the pharmacy will take into account what you paid on the 3rd, and charge you appropriately.
    ...A lot of them have agreements in place that they will check with other pharmacy and you wont pay over the 134 EUR amount.

There is NO facility in place to do this. As mentioned by the OP, and clarified by me, there was originally supposed to be, but it never happened.
    I have heard of cases where two pharmacies belonging to the same company have done it, but in order to do it they must create a false record in the pharmacy that is submitting the claim to the HSE under the DPS, saying that they dispensed something that they didn't dispense. As I'm sure you can appreciate, a pharmacy is legally obliged to keep accurate records as to who got what and when. Creating false records is illegal.

Ok. Haven't read the whole thread but got medication in several pharmacies about a year ago totalling over €134 in one month. Was informed that for the cap to be in effect at time of purchase everything had to be from the one pharmacy. Was directed to HSE refund form. Filled it in and posted it to Drug Refund Section - yes, a bit of an inconvenience but I survived. They refunded me a few weeks later for the excess over €134 that month.

And thereafter the issue didn't arise as I stayed with the one pharmacy.

I suspect that if you look closely, you didn't get a full refund, and actually are in the same situation as the OP was, but didn't realise it.

Can I suggest to CtrlAltDelete that they should look and see who other posters are replying to before replying in turn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OK, so that is nearly 20 miles and you have business/needs in another town 20 miles in the other direction....

I am on medical card and use whatever pharmacy I am near. They check rigorously in the computer records. Why cannot they do this with the DPS scheme? Not rocket science.. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭daheff

There is NO facility in place to do this. As mentioned by the OP, and
    clarified by me,

firstly, whether you want to believe or not that this happens in practice, let me confirm that i have availed of this (and not of the same group). If the pharmacies are doing something underhand, then on them be it.

and as for clarified by you.....are you the claiming to be the ultimate source of all HSE/DPS related 'fact' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

For information, I actually thought the limit for 2019 was going to be €124 as previously announced in the Budget. Went to my local chemist and was told the reduction doesn't kick in until April.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    OK, so that is nearly 20 miles and you have business/needs in another town 20 miles in the other direction....

I am on medical card and use whatever pharmacy I am near. They check rigorously in the computer records. Why cannot they do this with the DPS scheme? Not rocket science.. .

Because every pharmacy is not interlinked and that's an issue with the HSE not having a centralised system set up. You can use whatever pharmacy you wish but you are gonna be liable to extra charges if your using DPS. Also with you being on a medical card, you can happily use whatever pharmacy you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Because every pharmacy is not interlinked and that's an issue with the HSE not having a centralised system set up. You can use whatever pharmacy you wish but you are gonna be liable to extra charges if your using DPS. Also with you being on a medical card, you can happily use whatever pharmacy you wish.

So they need to centralise the DPS?

...and as for clarified by you.....are you the claiming to be the ultimate source of all HSE/DPS related 'fact' ?

Ultimate source? No. That would be stupid.

However, since I have been working in the pharmacy business for over 30 years, a pharmacist for over 22, have been operating the DPS on a daily basis ever since it was introduced, and operated its predecessors the DCSS and the DRS before that, I think I'm qualified to comment on the ins and outs of how it was intended to work when first introduced, how it is intended to work since various changes were made, and how it actually works in practice.

Advertisement