Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 100/200 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I've gone and picked up my numbers etc but now i can't go unfortunately. So anybody who wants to do the 100 or any brave soul the 200 for €35 I can meet with in Dublin 3. I'm holding on to the (admittedly mostly crap) goody bag though!
    PM if any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I've gone and picked up my numbers etc but now i can't go unfortunately. So anybody who wants to do the 100 or any brave soul the 200 for €35 I can meet with in Dublin 3. I'm holding on to the (admittedly mostly crap) goody bag though!
    PM if any interest.

Pm'd you there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭billyhead

What are you folks wearing tomorrow. If it's like today I was thinking base layer and short sleeve jersey and shorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 smono89

David2009 wrote: »
    I have two entries for sale for Sundays cycle if anyone is interested.
    I will sell the two for €70 if any takers

I’d be interested in taking one. PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

billyhead wrote: »
    What are you folks wearing tomorrow. If it's like today I was thinking base layer and short sleeve jersey and shorts?

It's gonna rain at some point most likely so some sort of shell is probably required to get you by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

billyhead wrote: »

Short sleeve jersey, base layer, bib shorts. Arm warmers and gillet for when it's wet/cold. Did 100k in Wicklow last Saturday and this combo worked perfectly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

lissard wrote: »
    Short sleeve jersey, base layer, bib shorts. Arm warmers and gillet for when it's wet/cold. Did 100k in Wicklow last Saturday and this combo worked perfectly for me.

I've a good internal base layer so the same minus a base layer. It's not cold out there, just the gap descent might chill me.

I'm trying a top tube bag - Mtb club gear jersey pockets are a bit crap (road club ones are ace), so it's making the difference up and a bit more (means I can bring some proper park tool levers for the tyre/rim combo from hell too).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

First arrival at Rathdrum - 07:57

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And rider #10 at 8:30

#100 at 8:59

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,378 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

would this event not be better in Aug? im guessing your average cyclist peaks latter in the summer in terms of distance/endurance?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

First tandem at 9:44

#500 @ 9:53

10:33 and #1,000

My daughter's bored of counting now....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

silverharp wrote: »
    would this event not be better in Aug? im guessing your average cyclist peaks latter in the summer in terms of distance/endurance?

Main reason I used to do this event was to cajole myself into doing enough Winter training so that I could get around the 200k on the day and then have an enjoyable summer including lots of long days on the bike. While I've done the 200k six times, I've never much enjoyed the event itself but always got great benefit from where it left me fitness wise in mid-June. Manky sangers and missing medals aside, it has always represented outstanding value from that perspective. Have had a few lousy years cycling wise following injury, so must make an effort to get back to this level* next year.

(*'this level' involving dragging myself around the course at a lamentable pace to arrive with the late finishers, usually 10-11 hours all in)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Also by July/August more people are likely away, or on holidays here and Wicklow is even busier with visitors. Might be nearly the best time to do such a mass cycle, plus Reservoir dog comes mid Sept for a bit of Wicklow exploring.

Just to add these "major" sportives seem to be spread across the calendar with the ROK and Sean Kelly taking part later on in July and August respectively. Maybe we could make the three of them the "Grand Sportives" with extra kudos for anyone getting the full set in a year. That can make the WW200 an "early season" target - the equivalent of the Giro.... :)

Either way the WW200 seems to have been run at this time of year for as long as I remember and there's no shortage of participants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Really heavy hail showers in Greystones this afternoon. Hope it’s not too bad out there. Reminds me of the 2012 (?) Wicklow 200. Average temp that day was around 6 degrees with lots of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

letape wrote: »
    Really heavy hail showers in Greystones this afternoon. Hope it’s not too bad out there. Reminds me of the 2012 (?) Wicklow 200. Average temp that day was around 6 degrees with lots of rain.

A couple of my mates did the 200 that day .... don’t think they’ve been on a bike since!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

letape wrote: »

Jesus Christ. Was absolutely biblical. Pity cos you couldn't have ordered a more benign 60k home from rathdrum. Weather was good, terrain mainly flat, wind behind us. We were cruising home and then thunder, lightning, huge hailstones, teeming down rain, rivers of water on the road. Was absolutely freezing coming in the road so we said nuts to the Enniskerry detour and came straight in through Bray for a Wicklow 195. Good enough. Sitting in the gaff in my hat and coat still trying to warm up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Beasty wrote: »
    Just to add these "major" sportives seem to be spread across the calendar with the ROK and Sean Kelly taking part later on in July and August respectively. Maybe we could make the three of them the "Grand Sportives" with extra kudos for anyone getting the full set in a year. That can make the WW200 an "early season" target - the equivalent of the Giro.... :)

Either way the WW200 seems to have been run at this time of year for as long as I remember and there's no shortage of participants

Sadly , the Sean Kelly is no more .....

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Sadly , the Sean Kelly is no more .....
    Shows how out of touch with this forum I've become in recent times:(

25 odd, cursing myself for the last 15 ish. Stayed dry. Those ahead and behind swam segments. Time to ferment for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,378 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Odd 200 for me.

#1 child's confirmation on the Saturday, lots of running around and 6 pints and a whiskey until about 11. Used to have trouble with my hip until I changed bikes but did something on the Saturday so it ached.

Discovered on the bike that it hurt quite a lot so had to stand up a lot more, certainly couldn't tell the legs to shut up and motor in the saddle.

Tried a top tube bag so I could take a gilet which took a while to get used to. Was great not having to worry about the car key fob getting lost out of the pocket too.

Also the first time with a HRM, kept at the top of zone 2 all the way around which was odd compared to "feel". Right leg gave me a bit of bother during the last 30km dash (lashing rain, thunder and lightning but with a lovely wind at my back) so I had to stop to stretch for a while, but I could have kept going at the end.

Took 9 hours to/from the car so about 5 mins slower than last year (pb), which I'm happy with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Didn't ride it but lots of the riders passing my house in that rain, I pitied them, there was no fun in that, just constant broken people rolling round Bray. Even seen a few lost around the town, their minds obviously just had enough, fair play to the marshals, the ones near Southern Cross must have been mentally destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

was heading out to greystones just after 2 from bray passed a load between southern cross and that hill out of greystones (blackbanks??) and had to feel sorry for them as some were struggling. 20 minutes later in a warm dry house had to feel really sorry for anyone out as the hail pounded down

saccades wrote: »
    Also the first time with a HRM, kept at the top of zone 2 all the way around which was odd compared to "feel".

That sounds a lot like your zones are set for a much younger rider (Max HR drops with age so the range compresses).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Did the 200 yesterday, max distance I had cycled before that was 45k, pretty happy that I finished it but my god was it tough!

The last 60k in horrific conditions, nothing more than adrenaline pushing me through.

Can’t say it was an enjoyable event but mentally it is very satisfying knowing I completed it. Well done to anyone who did it, new found respect!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

Only did the 100 but have to say it was a great day out on the Bike.

Weather at the start was lovely and warm.

Got in with some good groups and flew around the course.

The organisation was top notch as usual and no shortage of food/coffee/post ride pasta.

Keep threatening to do the 200 one year,maybe next year will be it.

Advertisement