Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase

• 02-01-2019 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

When can the rent be increased. For example contract start date is 1st august and notice is given prior to the 1st august the following year can the increase be on the 1st of August the following year or does it have to be 3 months are this date therefore 1st November ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

The rent calculator should give you all the required dates

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

from that the calculator only allows change 12 months on, but i have seen people say its 3 months after the 12 month period therefor 15 months in order to change the rent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

When can the rent be increased. For example contract start date is 1st august and notice is given prior to the 1st august the following year can the increase be on the 1st of August the following year or does it have to be 3 months are this date therefore 1st November ?

The calculator does not care about the 12months rule, since if your tenancy lasted less than 12 months you can increase straight away with a new tenancy.

Let's say your tenancy started on 1st of August 2018 with an increased rent, then rent review notice can be served on the 1st or 2nd of August 2019 (12 months after) with increase starting on the 1st of November 2019. In such case in RPZ the increase will be 1.25 years x 4% = 5%

Let's say instead that the tenancy started in early 2017 and the last valid rent review notice was served on 1st of August 2018 and the new rent had effect on 1st of November 2018, then then rent review notice can be served again on the 1st or 2nd of August 2019 (12 months after) with increase starting on the 1st of November 2019. However in such case in RPZ the increase will be 1 year x 4% = 4%.

The difference between the two cases is that the tenancy is not subject to a rent review for the first year and three months, while in the second case it is exactly one year between the rent reviews.

This is all assuming that no special cases or exceptions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

You can increase the rent on each anniversary by 4%.
    So if someone moved in on 1st September 2018 then you can increase it by 4% effective on 1st September 2019.
    Give notice of the increase 90 days before 1st September.

It wasn't very clear and I had to talk to someone in the RTB to clarify. That was the only way they gave me to increase from my below market rate level. It wasn't enough for me as I was so far below so I got out anyway. But I hope that makes it clearer for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

You can increase the rent on each anniversary by 4%.
    So if someone moved in on 1st September 2018 then you can increase it by 4% effective on 1st September 2019.
    Give notice of the increase 90 days before 1st September.

It wasn't very clear and I had to talk to someone in the RTB to clarify. That was the only way they gave me to increase from my below market rate level. It wasn't enough for me as I was so far below so I got out anyway. But I hope that makes it clearer for you.

ok so it can be increase from the date of the contract once the 3 months notice is given. please I read it both ways 3 months after the renewal date and the renewal date its self if the notice is given before hand. Where can I see it written legally what the rule is ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

ok so it can be increase from the date of the contract once the 3 months notice is given. please I read it both ways 3 months after the renewal date and the renewal date its self if the notice is given before hand. Where can I see it written legally what the rule is ?

That 3 months after business happened when the legislation was changed to the 2 year rent rises.
    They fcked up the working but it was easier for them to just pretend that what they meant about increasing the rent every 2 years was actually 2 years and 3 months because of their lax wording.

Advertisement