Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power of Attorney

Options
  • 02-01-2019 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Myself and my sister are in the process of sorting out a PoA for our elderly mother. Once we get the required letter from our solicitor, 
    • what is the process of setting this up for my mothers accounts with yourselves? 
    • Does she also need to go into the branch as mobility, hearing and sight are all an issue? 
    • Also do we need to provide ID and proof of address for both of us when we go to the branch, I am a customer, my sister is not?
    • Is there any additional forms that we need to get from BoI in advance or sign when we visit the branch?
    [*]

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

Myself and my sister are in the process of sorting out a PoA for our elderly mother. Once we get the required letter from our solicitor, 
    • what is the process of setting this up for my mothers accounts with yourselves? 
    • Does she also need to go into the branch as mobility, hearing and sight are all an issue? 
    • Also do we need to provide ID and proof of address for both of us when we go to the branch, I am a customer, my sister is not?
    • Is there any additional forms that we need to get from BoI in advance or sign when we visit the branch?

[*]

thanks in advance

[*]

Hi Be well and win,

Happy New Year and thank you for getting in touch.

In response to the above questions, please see below:
    • Once the POA has been issued by an Irish Court it must been brought to the local Bank of Ireland Branch.
    • If the POA states that account holder is not able to go into branch then she does not have to be there.
    • Photographic I.D. and Proof of Address will be required by both parties named on POA.
    • No  additional forms. The Bank must see the original POA and keep a copy for their records. A certified copy from the customer's solicitor will suffice in the absence of the original. Identification and address verification for all parties on POA
    [*]

Many Thanks

John

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

[*]

thanks in advance

[*]

Hi Be well and win,

Happy New Year and thank you for getting in touch.

In response to the above questions, please see below:
    • Once the POA has been issued by an Irish Court it must been brought to the local Bank of Ireland Branch.
    • If the POA states that account holder is not able to go into branch then she does not have to be there.
    • Photographic I.D. and Proof of Address will be required by both parties named on POA.
    • No  additional forms. The Bank must see the original POA and keep a copy for their records. A certified copy from the customer's solicitor will suffice in the absence of the original. Identification and address verification for all parties on POA

[*]

Many Thanks

John
    [*]
    Thanks for the response, apologies I did not make myself clear

this is not for an enduring power of attorney which has to be activated via the Register of the Wards of Court.  This is for a General POA which is to allow myself or my sister to carry out our mothers banking if needed at branch level as her mind is fine but getting her in and out of the branch is very difficult, we'd be looking to get this general POA written up by her solicitor to ensure everything is done correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

[*]

this is not for an enduring power of attorney which has to be activated via the Register of the Wards of Court.  This is for a General POA which is to allow myself or my sister to carry out our mothers banking if needed at branch level as her mind is fine but getting her in and out of the branch is very difficult, we'd be looking to get this general POA written up by her solicitor to ensure everything is done correctly

[*]

Hi Be well and win,

Thanks for coming back to us on this.

Yes your mother can request a general POA on her accounts with us. This can be drawn up with a solicitor and proof of this can be given to the Branch by your mother or your mothers solicitor.  

When this in place the named person(s) on the POA can operate the account on your mothers behalf. I hope this information helps.

Many Thanks.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

[*]

[*]

Hi Be well and win,

Thanks for coming back to us on this.

Yes your mother can request a general POA on her accounts with us. This can be drawn up with a solicitor and proof of this can be given to the Branch by your mother or your mothers solicitor.  

When this in place the named person(s) on the POA can operate the account on your mothers behalf. I hope this information helps.

Many Thanks.

John
    [*]
    In relation to a General POA, I thought that the Bank would provide a form which, once completed, would allow a person to act on another person's behalf once signed by both parties in the presence of a witness? (For instance, where a person has reduced or limited mobility).

My understanding is that there is no solicitor required in order to set up a General POA. Please clarify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Ppn,

Thanks for linking in with us here on Boards.ie.

It would be necessary to visit a solicitor to set up a general power of attorney. Bank of Ireland wouldn't enforce a POA without seeing an original (or certified copy from solicitor) POA agreement.

Once received by the branch, our colleagues will set up the POA on the relevant account. This can be a short-term or long-term arrangement.

I hope this information helps.

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Advertisement
Advertisement